INTERSECT Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Web Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in April 2019.

Interview

A phone screen, followed by 3 in-person interviews with different members of the team. There was a general whiteboarding exercise in one of the interviews, that was more to determine my way of thinking than my specific coding skills. I was able to walk through projects that I built and talk about challenges that I faced, and what I would do differently. All the interviews felt more like conversations, everyone was really nice to talk to and even if I didn't get an offer I would have been happy because I get serious test anxiety so I was so glad to not have to go through an intense timed coding test.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult challenge in the last codebase you worked on?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT.

Interview

My experience was very similar to what the other software engineer candidate described below. First a phone screening from recruiter. The recruiter I spoke with did not show any interest in what I said at all. Plus he answered all my questions with 1 word. I was actually very surprised that they invited me onsite. During the onsite interview, the manager seemed like he had a bad hangover and struggled to pull himself together. He isolated himself and sat at the opposite side of the large conference room. Because of that and him mumbling, I literally had to ask him to repeat every question he asked. And I agree with the other candidate, their questions were often too broad and ambiguous. And when I asked them to clarify, they simply repeat the questions with the exact words. They also had a tendency of fitting too much into one single interview. During this 1 hour interview, I was asked behavior questions, cs concepts, 3 algorithms questions and 1 system design question. We ended up not getting anything deep. At the end, the manager was so eager to get out of the interview and started to pack his gym bag when me and the other engineer were still talking. To my surprise again, they tried to invite me for a second interview, which I declined. I would never work for a company/manager like this.

Interview Questions

• one thing you were proud of when working for previous employer   Answer Question

Sep. 10, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your constructive feedback in regards to our interview process. We apologies for your negative interaction and are reviewing our process to make sure that we are giving the best level... More

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON).

Interview

First phase was a phone screen with a recruiter. From there I was invited in for an interview with the team lead and a team member. Interview questions were very poorly constructed and disorganized. Team lead was not clear with what he was asking and when asking for clarification he didn't provide any useful clarification. When I asked specific questions about the team and he gave conflicting and unclear answers, as though he didn't know or was trying to hide information.
    After over a week there was no response at all from the company. I followed up with them to see where they stood as I had another offer. They invited me in for another interview schedule for over a week later. I declined due to the severe lack of communication I got from them at all stages of the process and accepted a different offer.

Interview Questions

• Simple coding algorithms like Fibonacci sequence and reversing string on whiteboard.   Answer Question

Sep. 9, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for the feedback! At Intersect, we try our best to keep in constant communication with our valued applicants but as you know, the market is very active. Keep us posted on how things are... More

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in January 2018.

Interview

It took more than 3 weeks after an initial phone interview. If you passed the first interview, you will have proceeded a coding challenge (5 easy questions). The codes need to upload it to the GitHub and you will get a declined email from HR regardless how good you are. I guarantee that they didn’t even open your branch.
    They don’t pull your codes so stop spending your valuable time. And do not get discouraged because they did not look at it.
    The coding challenge is an essential process however, it should be conducted after the technical interview.

Interview Questions

INTERSECT Response

May 28, 2018 – Director of People

We're sorry you feel like your challenge didn't get to see the light of the day, but we can assure you that we only issue challenges to candidates we screen, and are actively in our hiring process... More

Senior Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in June 2019.

Interview

It was a standard 3 step interview.

First it was with HR to talk about the company and the role over the phone.

Second, they asked me to come to the office to present my portfolio to the director of design and one of their UI designers. The meeting was about an hour. There were no format as to what this meeting is about. So they made it “casual” and talk about my career history. They also asked me to present my work, but they were not expecting me to deep dive through my projects so they have to cut it halfway since they have questions for me. When I asked them about the role and what projects they seemed to not know and just left it up in the air.

After this, they asked me to come back again to meet with the director of product. Again, I talked about my past jobs and was asked to present my work. This time, I get to know more about the role and what project this role might be potentially be working on.

Then after a couple weeks, I received a call from HR asking if I’m interested in a contract role. He said everyone was hired as a contract role and has a potential to extend the contract. I was actually a bit surprised since this was listed as a full time position from the very beginning. Not only that, but I saw the director of product listed the exact same position and listed as full time in a “design community chat room” that same day. When I questioned them about the switch, they said they have budget problems and wasn’t too keen on even negotiating salary. At the end, the recruiter said he will talk to their team and will call me a couple days later. I never heard back from him. I even emailed them for a follow up and no response. I just felt like I wasted a lot of time and this whole interview process was very disorganized and not transparent at all on their side.

Interview Questions

INTERSECT Response

Sep. 10, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you very much for your feedback in regards to our interview process. Due to the nature of our industry, roles constantly change based on the needs of the business. We definitely understand how... More

IOS Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at INTERSECT.

Interview

What an absolutely horrible interview process. I applied to Intersect for the iOS Position. i had a call with their HR Rep, who at first was very nice. I passed the screening process and moved on to the technical interview.

I waited around 30 mins for the interviewers to even show up. And once they did they seemed to not care whatsoever, trying to rush me out of there as soon as possible. I could tell that I wouldn't be selected but I always like knowing for sure. I emailed the rep a week after to ask her a status update and no reply.

Followed up with another email and again no reply. I was getting a little frustrated at the fact that she couldn't even send me a follow up email. i decided to call her to at least see what was going on and she pretty much yelled at me over the phone saying "we don't want you working here, I thought I made that clear by not following up. Stop contacting me" and then hanging up.

This company has literally no respect for candidates that take time out of their lives to meet with them. I'm happy I got to experience this early on because i can't imagine the culture in the firm.

Interview Questions

INTERSECT Response

Sep. 9, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

We are constantly working on improving the interview process we have in place as our business scales. Our candidate response times are a factor that we are currently reviewing as we understand this... More

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in October 2018.

Interview

- phone interview w/ someone from HR
    - in person tech interview with 2 lead devs
    - in person 3rd round tech interview with lead dev manager
    - trick IQ test as you leave the final interview dealing with the iPad you use to sign in/out!

Interview Questions

• Take this array of Ints and create a set of Ints but keep the order in tact.   1 Answer
    • Print out the 5th/nth row of Pascal’s triangle!   1 Answer
    • Please sign out using the same iPad you used to sign in upon arrival!   1 Answer

Oct. 24, 2018 – Director of People

For security reasons all interviews, clients, visitors etc. are required to sign in using the iPad at the front of the office prior to entering. I am sorry you felt this was a test or trick, I can... More

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in November 2018.

Interview

First thing is a 30 min long phone screen with their internal recruiting manager, this is mostly a talk regarding past experience and general company fit.

Second round is a ~1 hour long onsite interview with an engineering manager and director.
    These two guys are very friendly and easy to start conversations with. Felt very relaxed during the whole interaction. Again more talks on current and past experience, get a feel of the candidate's skill level and personality at this point.

Afterwards comes the meat of the interview, you are expected to quickly design the general architecture of a functionally simple app on the whiteboard. This is purely experience based so no luck will help anyone in this case. Try your best and demonstrate as much of your knowledge as possible. I was surprised not to get a tricky algorithmic white-boarding question.

Lastly it's time to question the interviewers about their work process, culture and etc. I did my best to ask relevant questions that relates day to day activities as an engineer at the company.

Overall enjoyed the interview process, no code-monkey hoop jumping challenges, got an offer within few days after.

Interview Questions

• System design question about designing a seemingly simple app. They want to see how well you can plan and architecture on a high level while spotting and handling unusual edge cases. Only experience can help here.   Answer Question

Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Waterloo, ON).

Interview

Applied through university job listing. Phone interview with the Talent Acquisition went really well. Mostly questions that asked about how you'd fit in with the company and the position. Then there was an interview with the QA lead which also went really well and smoothly. Very easy and quick responses from everyone all around.

IOS Developer Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT in June 2018.

Interview

Applied online through my school’s job portal. First interview was with HR, and consisted of typical behavioural questions and about my past work experience and passions. Following that, I was sent a coding challenge to build an app - parse Some API and display some information. After that, I had one final interview with two engineers on the iOS team where we basically just went through my coding challenge, and I got to ask some questions about their work.

Contract Web Interface Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at INTERSECT (Toronto, ON) in July 2019.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 interviews. The first interview was an initial screening followed by a technically focused in-person interview with 2 senior engineers and then a third whiteboarding interview.

Interview Questions

• How would one create tab-able table rows for accessibility?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.