Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions

Interviews at Burns & Wilcox

2.7

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Charlotte, NC (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Brief phone call from internal recruiter in HR. In person interview set up with head of underwriting department and managing director. Fairly brief interview of 30 minutes max.

Interview Questions

• Name 3 vices you have. All other questions were text book, tell me about your self, why are you wanting to leave current employer, etc.   1 Answer
    • Overall opinion of interview experience   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

One phone call with an HR rep then a conference call with two other people. One being the team manager and the other the VP of underwriting (both located in another city). The VP was about 15 minutes late to my interview but then cut me off at the end because he had somewhere to be. This company is looking for an underwriter, producer, marketing rep, and sales rep in one under the guise of being an underwriter (with UW pay). The office has no manager and no guidance. There are a few UW assistants who assist people in another state. They want someone who will bring in contacts and get an entire office off the ground and running...by YOURSELF. On top of that, the first thing out the managers mouth was the fact they could not keep employees and the prior manager at the particular office left to go to a competitor. Not exactly selling the place.

Interview Questions

• Did I bring my own book of business/contacts?   1 Answer

Underwriting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in March 2019.

Interview

Applied online with resume, received phone call maybe a week later for phone screening, and scheduled an on site interview maybe a week after that (and drove an hour each direction). The whole process was just annoying. I think they need to adjust their expectations. They're in insurance and this was underwriting after all, yet acted like they had the most pristine and exclusive internship program. During the onsite interview I was quickly rushed into a small conference room off the lobby, received almost no formal introductions from the people asking the interview questions, and there were two 30 minute interviews with two interviewers each. The interviewers acted like they were coming in to show how good they were and to rip me apart with the most generic questions that they thought were creative. Also, people in insurance underwriting should not wear full suits, tie clips, and slicked back hair - you look terrible. I tried asking questions to seem interested in what is a boring business and they laughed at some of my questions and the recruiter said obnoxiously, now do you understand what we do here (after thoroughly researching the company)? Just seems like a very fake company, trying to be something they clearly are not. After not receiving an offer, the email that they sent to let me know I didn't get the job included "we FINALLY found someone for the job" and had no mention of my name nor any header/footer of Burns and whatever. Just very frustrating. Please look at the interview questions and realize how useless these SELF-EXAMINING questions truly are!

Underwriting Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn for the underwriting administrator role at one of their offices. I was contacted relatively quickly by an HR representative that wanted to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled one for later in the week, only for her to reschedule the call 2 different times right before they were scheduled. On the 3rd scheduled call I did not receive a call, so I called the representative, left a voicemail, and sent an email. I did not hear from her again. A recruiter then notified me a little while later that Burns and Wilcox was hiring for an Underwriting Administrator. I said yes and we scheduled an in-person interview. Burns and Wilcox then rescheduled on me right before the interview. Again. So I finally go to the interview and I meet with two middle level employees instead of the VP of the office like I was supposed to. They asked me a total of 4 questions, none of which had much to do with my experience or strengths. They then asked me if I had any questions for them. I asked several questions that were met with short answers. I tried to extend the length of the interview, but it only lasted 20 minutes. After that, the 2 people I was interviewing with left the room for 5 minutes “to go get the VP I was originally supposed to interview with,” but came back to say he was “on an important call.” They then rushed me out the door with the good old “we will be in contact with you shortly” and I was out of the office in 25 minutes. Frankly, I was a little bit embarrassed with how unprofessional and unprepared Burns and Wilcox turned out to be in the whole process. I would recommend avoiding them at all costs.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Myrtle Beach, SC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Myrtle Beach, SC (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

This was a pure waste of time. I had 3 interviews, first phone, second in person with manager and third with Vice President of the Department. The interviews seemed to have went ok with several redundant questions, however after interviewing for a total of 3months I was never informed that I was not selected for the job. I tried emailing the manager and recruiter but neither had the decency to respond. This company is very unprofessional. Don’t waste your time. Go somewhere, where you can at least receive feedback.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in March 2018.

Interview

It started with a phone interview, face-to-face interviews with the local team, and then upper management. I also took two tests online (behavioral and basic English/mathematics questions). I had 7 interviews with the company in different locations.

While everyone was nice and friendly in person, there was a clear lack of communication afterwards. At the first location it took over 4 weeks and constant delay to announce the final decision, which cost me time and money. I sent a polite e-mail to the HR manager I established a connection with asking about the other position's availability. I received no response.

Later, I had an interview with another team. I was not selected, which I understand, as they may be looking for candidates with more insurance experience. However, I sent friendly e-mails to two employees I had an interview with about keeping in touch and asking a simple question about the position, to which they did not reply.. again. It felt disappointing to be ignored like this after having 7 (!) interviews with the company. Even though they said that they were impressed with my education and skills, I was just ignored after the final decision, twice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you dealt with a difficult customer   1 Answer

Associate Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Parsippany, NJ (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screening follows by and in person interview. Questions were straight forward, “where do you see yourself in 5 years?”. Overall, it was not too difficult in my opinion.

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Detroit, MI (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Phone screen, on-site interview with management, then phone call with Senior VP. Overall pleasant experience. HR followed up with me throughout the process and was very helpful. Phone calls were brief and the onsite interview was about 45 minutes and I had a chance to tour the office.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Phila, PA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

The entire process was extremely laid back. Everyone in the office was friendly and down to earth. They did not ask the usual questions that are meant to put you on the spot.

Interview Questions

• It was more like getting together at a high school reunion with old friends   Answer Question

Underwriting Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Was interviewed by 3 sets of 2 people each. So essentially 3 short interviews totaling up to about 45 minutes. The questions were general "getting to know you" questions and the interviewers were friendly and non-intimidating.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any cryptic "what animal would you be" type questions, mostly each interviewer was trying to see who I was, how I carry myself and whether or not I would fit with their company culture.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.