American Public University System Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

American Public University System Interview Questions

Interviews at American Public University System

2.8

Admissions Interview

Interview

In person interview where the questions come across as fairly generic. As well as making you do a writing sample. Then if they want to move forward they send you a tech assessment that is quite outdated and now user friendly. Also don't know how much they rely on those results. Seemed like irrelevant assessment that were all items that could be easily taught if unknown

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

The recruiting, contact, scheduling, assessment, and interview process was very straightforward and formalized. Unfortunately at the end there was no follow-up from APUS following the face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Several questions from the PMBOK and a couple scenario based questions.   Answer Question

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Public University System (Phoenix, AZ (US)).

Interview

It was far too long agio, but it was a telephone interview by one of the professors. About 20-30 minutes in length and basically asked your experience and teaching philosophy. Pretty standard.

Senior Manager, Accounts Payable Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Applied online, 2 days later received a request for a phone interview with the Director. A few days pass and I’m asked to come in for a face to face interview with the same director. Another few days pass and I’m asked to provide 4 references, 2 have to be direct managers. I was assuming that this meant an offer was coming shortly thereafter. But no, I’m asked to come in for another interview with the actual team I’d be managing and the SVP of finance. The team members were nice enough but less than impressive. When I asked what they wanted from their manager, their response was basically that they wanted someone to work just like they do. Nothing about development or anything a savvy professional would say. Then I met with the SVP of Finance. While she was nice enough as well, she loves to hear herself speak. They had allotted 30 minutes with her, it went on for a little over an hour. I might have spoken for 10 minutes. She conveniently dropped in there that she typically works from 7am to 8pm every day and kept tying it back to how much she demands of her leaders. Overtime was also a common theme talked about by the team members. It was of no surprise to me that the team members weren’t interested in this leadership position, because they have no desire to work free overtime. Can’t blame them for that. I couldn’t even muster the ability to stretch the truth and make it appear as if I too, want to work 12 hour days for a paltry salary. In my experience, when workers are constantly doing overtime, there are process issues that need to be fixed. I walked away from the interview thinking the team members probably milk OT to make up for their small salaries and all they really wanted out of their manager was to help them do their work and sign off on their timesheets. The SVP determines value by how long you’re in the office, not by what you actually do.

After the interview, I wrote professional thank you emails to both the director and SVP. I provided feedback and my assessment for how I can help. The team desperately needs a leader, not another worker bee. I have vast experience improving processes that improve both employee and company performance. That’s apparently not what they want, as I never received any responses to my emails.

I’m providing this review not because I’m upset, but to help anyone who may be looking into working in the finance department at this company. You are going to be asked to spend a lot of your time interviewing, need to provide references, etc. only for them to completely ghost you after the fact. Utterly unprofessional. I get a kick out of seeing them repost this position to make it appear as if the requisition isn’t as old as it is. Nearly 3 months later and these folks still can’t find someone to fill the role. You would think they are looking for a rocket scientist.

Bottom line: Unless you are desperate, and have nothing but time at your disposal, I wouldn’t waste my time applying here. Their pay is very low end as is their professionalism and class.

ELearning Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

The first interview was with other Instructional Designers. It was great. It was done over the phone. The questions were on target with what we do and were very engaging. I was very impressed.

Interview Questions

• Elevator pitch: You've 10 seconds to convince the person in the elevator that you're the one for this position.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System in October 2018.

Interview

Completed online application and participated in panel interview. The interview went well, and I was offered the position. After signing and returning the formal offer letter, I overnighted my employment documents as requested.

When I contacted my new supervisor ( who, mind you, interviewed and hired me) to discuss scheduling (I made it clear from the start I would not be leaving my current job), she indicated she would sketch out some possibilities and call me Monday. She did not, so I contacted her Tuesday, and she again said she would work on potential schedules. She called me Wednesday. Again, no scheduling info. Instead, she said she had concerns about my retaining two positions. I asked for clarification and received none. I then emailed and asked if she was telling me not to attend my scheduled orientation. I received no response.

Admissions Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Brief and to the point managers were friendly welcoming. Very thorough in the job descriptions and open to answering questions. Gave a tour if the facility also and showed me where other departments were located

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV (US)).

Interview

Group interview , written assessment and Q&A. Senior management and junior managers asked questions . A writing sample was given and we went around the table sharing something about ourselves

Interview Questions

• Customer service experiences. Good and bad examples   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System (Washington, DC (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview was lively. I could tell that Faculty and Program Director enjoyed the work that they did. Also could tell they enjoyed teaching and was working to better our department and university.

Interview Questions

• What characteristics are important for an online instructor?   Answer Question

Vice President Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

I was called on a Wednesday afternoon for interviews on the following day with the SVP, Operations, Chief of Staff and the Provost. I was given no overview or prep for the position. Two weeks later, I interviewed with the Corporate Controller and Corporate CFO.

The interviews on Thursday were very engaging and results and accomplishment oriented.

The interview with the CFO was very different. I found him to be arrogant, rude and condescending. He focused on technical accounting questions which were not part of the job requirements. I asked about significant projects and areas of focus for the upcoming year. One of the major projects was a new front end system that two of the four interviewers had mentioned as a priority. He was VERY put off that I knew of the project and told me I should not know about that and even lectured me. When I asked questions about risk, he put it back to me and did not answer from his perspective.

There seems to be a disconnect between what the CFO is looking for and what the others on the leadership team are looking for. The position reports to the SVP of Operations not the CFO.

Interview Questions

• Questions from the initial inverview
      Tell me your approach to process improvement?
      Tell me about how you would go about performing a complex financial analysis.
      Tell me about your approach to process improvement   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.