American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Pros
  • Work from home, rare online teaching position with full benefits (in 16 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not competitive with market (in 8 reviews)

• I wish they had more full time positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Look forward to coming to work everyday.

Cons

This is not a con, but we work very hard to make sure our students have the best experience possible- it is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Adjunct faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Professional, flexible, little to moderate micro-managing. Great professional development opportunities.

Cons

Pays per student, so salary can vary widely. Haven't had a raise in 8 years! Curriculum could be stronger.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Improve curriculum

3. "It was great, and then it wasn't"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are contracted by student, so you always know how many students you have left to teach in a year, versus classes. They also have a huge number of courses, so you get a lot of variety.

Cons

At first things were great and I had two chairs. Then there was just a rotating door at the chair level and there were new chairs monthly. They cut pay (took away bonuses) and asked for MUCH more work. Eventually the pay vs. workload became unmanageable and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking employees.

5. "It's not WHAT you know it's WHO you know!!! Take a look in the mirror management. You're the problem!"

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Ranson, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Ranson, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your manager, you may have the opportunity to work from home at times. Very slim chance but again, it's dependent on your manager. Other departments on the 1st floor are very helpful, caring, and care about their employees. Encouragement comes from those in other departments when you have the urge to just give up because you've had enough of getting looked over, not appreciated, and not heard. FSA Specialist and the management on the 1st floor is what the Financial Aid department, 2nd floor, needs to mirror in order to maybe stop the turn over rate.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you're with the "in-crowd" or the Patty's regulars!!! Financial Aid management concerns themselves with pushing you out the door rather than offering better training. Students complain about their money not the quality of the call. Management spends more time chit chatting with favorites in upper managements office rather than pulling their weight and assisting students. Seniors spend more time hanging out with other Seniors rather than assisting students in the phone queue and email queue yet Advisors are constantly micro-managed and frowned upon for taking too many bathroom breaks. Don't even bother going to HR as they seem to care until you walk out of the office. Then there is fear of losing your job. Everyone went to school together and brought he schoolyard to APUS. Lastly, if you're with the in-crowd, you can basically slack off the majority of the day...you may get a stern look but it will end with a giggle while the hard workers who have families to take care of and a home to keep over their head are sweating bullets each day wondering if their job is safe. As long as there's the in-crowd or Patty's crew, you won't move up in this department. And don't even this about going to the new President. Her attitude would make you not even want to be employed there.

Advice to Management

Spend more time worrying about employees that bust their butt to try and keep their jobs versus worrying about how many times an Advisor says the students name and says "Um". Don't be hypocritical because if the Advisors were to QA you on how many times you all said UM or called in, you wouldn't have a job. It's hard enough trying to find a decent paying job. Management needs to ensure that the Advisors are able to keep their jobs and go home happy rather than go home stressed that tomorrow isn't promised in the APUS world.

6. "a good way to work remotely"

I have been working at American Public University System part-time

Pros

Flexibility and working from home are the best benefits of this job. The students are engaging and interesting and are stationed all over the world. Of course, there is a range of ability and effort. My supervisors have always backed me up in plagiarism cases and they are quick to answer questions. There are useful professional development courses available to faculty.

Cons

Someone is financially benefiting, but it is not the instructors. There has been no pay raise in the 10 years I've been there. Full-timers seem overloaded by duties, and therefore course improvements are slow to take place.

7. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company care about it's employees.

Cons

There are long hours several times a month.

8. "Great people, great benefits, engaging work"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Small company feel and remote work options

Cons

Extraordinary growth has led to reorganization and culture shift

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home. That's it.

Cons

Increasing workload with no increase in pay. No promotions. Raises only based on publishing, not based on job performance. There is no time to publish with the enormous workload. Things get getting worse. Micro-management is out of control. It's like being an indentured servant.

10. "Student-focused"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Smart, hardworking staff who have students' needs as focus

Cons

Silos, top-down management, communication lacks

"Too little understanding of educational work among executives and upper managers"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours: it's very handy, being someone with young kids, to schedule my work around things like medical appointments and such

Flexible location: being able to live anywhere I can get a decent internet connection is great

Cons

Workload is too high, making burnout inevitable: I teach approximately twice as many students and twice as many courses per year as colleagues at non-profit, face to face universities. In addition, the constant cycling of course starts makes it hard to remember student names after a course ends, let alone truly see every student as an individual. After a while, the fact that I'm teaching the same classes over and over, and the fact that every set of students makes the same mistakes over and over gets extremely frustrating and makes teaching actually feel useless.

Pay is too low: I'm getting paid nearly $25K lower then other assistant professors with comparable experience

Isolation from colleagues: working remotely makes it hard to connect with colleagues even in the same department, and what little communication we have is within company view, and therefore feels anything but private

Upper management has an adversarial attitude: we're constantly under surveillance to make sure that we're meeting the required metrics (most of which are focused on appearance of quality rather than actual quality), and one of the higher-ups in my area apparently regards faculty as adversaries trying to cut corners and get away with stuff, rather than as professionals who are invested in their jobs. While my immediate supervisors have generally been wonderful people, the supervisors up a level from them have been problematic.

Upper management has little understanding of faculty as professionals and experts: this has not only led to the problems noted above, but also to inappropriate work assignments because they regard everyone with a particular degree as having the exact same knowledge base (not the case in higher ed, especially in fields that cover a very wide range of material). Even worse, when this inappropriate delegation has the easily predicted results, the faculty get blamed.

Advice to Management

Gain a better understanding of educational work, and find useful metrics to calculate appropriate workloads for faculty in different fields. Treat faculty like professionals instead of like naughty children who have to constantly be watched. If you don't trust us to do our jobs, you shouldn't have hired us in the first place.