American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are solid for a work-from-home position (all faculty are remote), and this does allow some flexibility (in 20 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 10 reviews)

• I was told full time also have to conduct research (in 9 reviews)

1. "School"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Increasing education to match personal experience is vital to personal success. I hope to utilize skills in each to perform above expectations.

Cons

There is no downside to increasing one's knowledge and ability to provide the best service to employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Improve the working environment for your employees, in whatever way is most productive and impactful to them and the organization as a whole.

2. "Information Technology"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

APUS is an awesome place to work if you love a challenging, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment.

Cons

APUS is not a traditional university. With rolling monthly enrollment, the pace is not what some would expect. However, if you see challenges as opportunities and don’t just love your work but love doing it well- then definitely apply!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Listen to the factual, constructive criticism certainly, but leave those out to only complain behind. Some folks just need to learn elsewhere that being part of the solution, offering well-thought ideas, and lifting those around you will always take you further in life.

"Good benefits, but workload is much too heavy for instructors"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are solid for a work-from-home position (all faculty are remote), and this does allow some flexibility. Immediate supervisors also tend to be great.

Cons

For full-timers, the teaching load is incredibly heavy--double the heaviest loads you'll find at terrestrial universities (actually the equivalent of a 10/10 load at universities on the semester system, and sometimes more). The administration also doesn't treat faculty as educated professionals; we're micro-managed and tracked with bots to make sure that we're logging in as much as we're supposed to, and chastised when we can't keep up with the grading load. Because of the heavy teaching load, this actually makes the atmosphere seem hostile, as though the admins are trying to always have a possible reason to fire faculty members.

Advice to Management

Do some research on appropriate teaching loads, and don't use other online universities/colleges as your comparison--use the universities/colleges that have the best track record for the student body we have. I can almost guarantee you that they're not requiring full-time faculty to teach more than 20 courses a year. Also, respect your faculty as professionals who know what they're doing; if someone doesn't know what they're doing, just don't hire them. The micromanaging is incredibly aggravating for those of us with strong teaching backgrounds.

"Associate Professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Nowhere, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Nowhere, OK (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment with a lot of autonomy and flexible schedule. Excellent managers in the school of business

Cons

Many projects and tasks outside of teaching along with a heavy teaching load

Advice to Management

Have content experts or vendors work with professors to update and renew courses instead of putting this on the professor or reduce the teaching load so there is more time for the other projects outside of the classroom.

"Spiraling company, and not upward"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair and equitable compensation for most positions other than IT, Ethically sound for-profit online University, Dedicated service to the military and public safety communities.

Cons

Company has become stagnant and overly risk adverse. APUS is publicly traded and the CEO is not innovative in the technology or education/training acquisition spaces. Stock price hovers right at IPO price even after 11 years. There exists a pervasive attitude toward filling senior leadership roles with those who have past or personal connections to the CEO and/or to members of the Board of Directors. IT operations are mediocre because the organization does not offer competitive compensation for top IT talent. Long time employees (10 years or more) are devalued and are frequently passed over for promotion in favor of new, outside hires. New and potentially innovative projects are derailed by a highly risk adverse attitude.

Advice to Management

Become more aggressive concerning potential acquisitions and new lines of business to help increase shareholder value. Invest more in IT innovation and competitive compensation for IT talent. Change a pervasive risk adverse approach to new projects and lines of business with a "can-do" attitude. Extend greater recognition and respect for longer tenured employees who have valuable knowledge of institutional history and continue to be dedicated to success of the organization. CEO is a ghost and should be more visible to company staff.

7. "Pretty Great Company"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

My direct manager is wonderful, company seems to care about employees, having monthly birthday parties and other ways to try and recognize workers

Cons

Pay is just too low

Advice to Management

There is almost no upward movement available. Open up some jobs to entry level managment in places other than on phones.

"Too many people quit and too many changes."

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Travel Time
    Good Staff

Cons

Horrible Retention Rate
    Too many changes

"Online Adjunct Review"

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good online school to work for because of the support they offer as well as the ongoing training. They clearly communicate who your contact person is when you need to speak to someone.

Cons

There are none that I can identify.

Advice to Management

There is no advice that I have to offer.

"Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Learning and Development Professional in Charles Town, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work virtually from anywhere, any time.
    Felt supported by management and support teams.
    Felt like I really helped students grow.

Cons

As a for-profit school, it seemed like we were expected to err on the side of customer service rather than academic excellence, which I felt did an injustice to some learners. Pay was a bit low considering the time commitment to teach courses online.

Advice to Management

Good business model, find that tricky balance between profit and education.

11. "Love coming to work every day!"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work. Supportive management. Friendly co-workers and employees. Lots of choices for benefits.

Cons

Benefit cost is a little high. Communication is lacking from the executive leadership.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Employees need to know the direction they are going in to better support the company.