American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home part of the week (in 23 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 12 reviews)

• I was told full time also have to conduct research (in 9 reviews)

1. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate to have very professional and kind supervisors in my department, who truly aim for the best for students and the program. The required trainings are tedious, but can be done digitally and independently. The faculty meetings I attend are worthwhile and good opportunities to connect with colleagues I've never physically met.

Cons

Since I have been working at APUS I have NEVER had a pay increase, despite regular, ongoing training that is required, increased expectations and work responsibilities and excellent performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Create a pay scale that rewards good employees with incentives for performance and seniority.

"It’s okay"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home
    Pay is decent depending on the department

Cons

Schedule changes are causing problems
    Upper management is causing a lot of issues for lower level people
    People are getting different answers.
    No consistency

Advice to Management

Upper management doesn’t care about the lower employees. We are just puppets.

3. "Solid place to work"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, opportunities to work from home, depending on the department you're in you may have a great deal of autonomy. Lots of great people.

Cons

Changes are a constant, if you hate change, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Focus on exceptional and over the top student support, and employee morale. Dedicate more team members to forward facing roles so we can better support our students.

"Get out now if you are current, if you are applying DON'T!!!!!"

Current Employee - Enrollment in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company use to value its staff, had great benefits, allowed work from home, paid tuition assistance.

Cons

Company now sees staff as cogs to make phone calls to students, school is being sued by a state, benefits are overpriced, pay is too low for amount of work they require, telecommuting is going away. This is not a school anymore. It is a business that sells education.

Advice to Management

The highest up's have lost grasp of the idea that quality will breed repeat business. Stop pushing employees to push students so hard to enroll and focus on what has made money in the past.

6. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic and passionate about their work. Every one cares about the student experience and student success.

Cons

The processes and systems are getting in the way of providing good service. Communication from the top down has been lacking for many years. Although it did improve under Dr. Powell’s leadership.

Advice to Management

Executive management could benefit from hosting round tables, mingling with lower level employees to solicit feedback, or inviting people to share feedback in one on one meetings.

"No Pay Raise in Ten Years; Increasing Instructor Responsibilities"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've always had good department chairs and the turnover in that position has been low. The chairs have been friendly and helpful. Paychecks arrive on time and as promised.

Cons

Classes are canned (created by committee) and the classroom discussion question prompts are recycled semester after semester. Students know this and grab answers to the questions from online sites like Course Hero. Grammatical mistakes in the canned lessons and questions also reappear each semester and must be edited out if an instructor does not want to look like a moron. Pay has been stuck at $130 per student for the last decade. Let me repeat that: pay has been stuck at $130 per student for the last decade. Teaching responsibilities have become more burdensome during that same period, and the annual allotment of classes has decreased, meaning less $ for the instructors in the end. I used to teach roughly 225 students per year, and now I am down to 150 or so. Given that I've always received positive reviews, the static per-student pay and decreasing overall income from teaching are frustrating A seeming paucity of students and employee frustration with low pay and obsessive managerial oversight bespeak a school in trouble due to poor top-level management. One can be certain that the company's CEO, Wally Boston, is being well-compensated, as are other top-level managers. One wishes that Boston had the decency to begin long-overdue pay raises for APUS faculty and staff. Have you gone a decade without a raise, Mr. Boston? If you have not, why have you seen fit to suck up monies that would have been better distributed to your faculty and staff?

Advice to Management

The same advice holds here as well as at other online schools where I've taught: increase instructor pay and autonomy.

"Scared for where APUS is heading"

Pros

Friendly work environment, ability to work remotely (in some positions), lower level employees are hardworking but also feel very unappreciated.

Cons

Not enough pay, opportunities to increase pay are rare, upper management seems out of touch. Lack of bonuses (or at least some transparency) is bad for morale and retention.

Advice to Management

You need to pay your specialists, seniors and managers outside of IT more or you will lose experienced employees.

"Adjunct Faculty (8 years)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

Trying to think, besides being paid on time.
    I thought of another one, 401-k match.

Cons

How about paying the Instructors for setting up the class?
    Same pay for 8 years (Has tuition increased)?
    Ever hear about the cost of living adjustment?
    New agenda, increase your presence and feedback to the students with the same pay. How's that work?
    Paying per student is an antiquated method to be compensated for.
    How about pay for tenure?
    Pay for performance review? Why do them? If there is not a correlation to pay increase or decrease?
    You will be expected to work 20-30 hours, if you are part-time.
    Do the math: 20 student class * $130 per student=$2600 for 8 weeks. Spend 20 hours a week for 8 weeks in the class. This = 160 manpower hours, or women hours. Divide $2600/160= $16.25 an hour. This is pay for an individual with a Master's degree.
    Well, Ladies and Gentlemen people with High School Diplomas can earn this much or more. And this is the "crux" of the problem in higher education in many countries, using cheap labor to build and promote your products and services.
    They could afford to pay you $100 a hour as an Adjunct Faculty member and still be profitable.

Advice to Management

Always make mandatory training available anytime, many of us do have other jobs
    For the most part, Management is fine.
    Be proactive in your criticism, not reactive.
    Hire more people to monitor classrooms, not Management.
    It would free them up to do the essential functions of their jobs.
    If the agenda this month is promoting the Community of Inquiry, let me know.
    If the agenda next month is asking critical thinking questions to half of the class to promote engagement and higher intellectual stimulation, let me know.

"Uncertain about future."

Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

Best place ever worked at. I have been there a very long time and accomplished a lot of things. Upper management has assisted me in progressing my career.

Cons

Recently their some uncertainty about if the executives really value the IT Department and the work that gets done. It seems the culture of the entire company has changed to be only revenue driven.

Advice to Management

Communicate better to the employees with inter department goals.

"downward spiral"

Pros

This is one of the very few employers in the county. Locality is the main pro. They also provide benefits and allow working from home when needed.

Cons

Recently, changes in upper level management have created havoc among employees. One new Leader, brought in by Another new leader (hello nepotism), has "outsourcing" listed on his bio. Employees are concerned for their jobs, as this is out on the public website. Is this a fear tactic?

The implementation of coverage of the new hours has been questionable and created a negative work environment. Shift Bidding has caused single moms to work shifts long after daycares close, with only 30 days notice. Because the pay is so low, many have second jobs that that they will need to possibly quit, in order to work the new hours.

Advice to Management

Talk to the people doing the job every day, and understand exactly what you have done to them. Consider a better implementation tactic, and stop the extreme nepotism.