American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 18 June, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Pros
  • Depending on your manager, you may have the opportunity to work from home at times (in 18 reviews)

• APUS has an incredible work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, company internal culture is changing (in 10 reviews)

• I wish they had more full time positions (in 7 reviews)

1. "Supportive culture"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Manassas, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Manassas, VA (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Encouraging, fun, fast-paced, great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Tech related workarounds can be cumbersome.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, From Home, Good Pay for the Work

The people there are also very good to work with as I have been there for 7 years and observed no negative behavior from anyone. Even though I am home 95% of the time, those times of working together on research projects were great! Retirement matching up to 5% if you contribute 10% into 401 K, even for PT.

Cons

Some Travel and need PhD for full time work. Internet not reimbursed.

"APUS has been good to me over the years"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I came to APUS from a toxic job environment. I immediately appreciated the professional environment. I'm lucky to have worked in a variety of positions within my department. Telecommuting, benefits, flexible schedule, and consistent job duties make it pretty cushy. I really like most of my co-workers, although many of the best and highest performers used APUS as a stepping stone to move on to greener pastures.

Cons

There is not a lot of growth or opportunities for advancement. Management has made some odd layoffs over the years. Work can feel like a treadmill with never-ending queues. Work can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

I've had great managers and I've had okay managers...never really a terrible manager. The great managers treat their employees like fellow human beings instead of like worker bees or robots to push out a product. I think I work in one of the better departments within the university. If managers foster a sense of community and appreciation for their staff, they will work hard for you. Executive level management seems disconnected from the workers.

5. "International Agent Relationship Liaison"

Current Employee - International Agent Relationship Liaison in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telecommuting possibility, 100% online institution

Cons

Low pay, company internal culture is changing

6. "Administration"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Working from home was a real plus!

Cons

Working from home made it difficult at time to stay in touch with the day-to-day operations.

7. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Look forward to coming to work everyday.

Cons

This is not a con, but we work very hard to make sure our students have the best experience possible- it is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Adjunct faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Professional, flexible, little to moderate micro-managing. Great professional development opportunities.

Cons

Pays per student, so salary can vary widely. Haven't had a raise in 8 years! Curriculum could be stronger.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Improve curriculum

9. "It was great, and then it wasn't"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are contracted by student, so you always know how many students you have left to teach in a year, versus classes. They also have a huge number of courses, so you get a lot of variety.

Cons

At first things were great and I had two chairs. Then there was just a rotating door at the chair level and there were new chairs monthly. They cut pay (took away bonuses) and asked for MUCH more work. Eventually the pay vs. workload became unmanageable and ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking employees.

"It's not WHAT you know it's WHO you know!!! Take a look in the mirror management. You're the problem!"

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Ranson, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Ranson, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your manager, you may have the opportunity to work from home at times. Very slim chance but again, it's dependent on your manager. Other departments on the 1st floor are very helpful, caring, and care about their employees. Encouragement comes from those in other departments when you have the urge to just give up because you've had enough of getting looked over, not appreciated, and not heard. FSA Specialist and the management on the 1st floor is what the Financial Aid department, 2nd floor, needs to mirror in order to maybe stop the turn over rate.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you're with the "in-crowd" or the Patty's regulars!!! Financial Aid management concerns themselves with pushing you out the door rather than offering better training. Students complain about their money not the quality of the call. Management spends more time chit chatting with favorites in upper managements office rather than pulling their weight and assisting students. Seniors spend more time hanging out with other Seniors rather than assisting students in the phone queue and email queue yet Advisors are constantly micro-managed and frowned upon for taking too many bathroom breaks. Don't even bother going to HR as they seem to care until you walk out of the office. Then there is fear of losing your job. Everyone went to school together and brought he schoolyard to APUS. Lastly, if you're with the in-crowd, you can basically slack off the majority of the day...you may get a stern look but it will end with a giggle while the hard workers who have families to take care of and a home to keep over their head are sweating bullets each day wondering if their job is safe. As long as there's the in-crowd or Patty's crew, you won't move up in this department. And don't even this about going to the new President. Her attitude would make you not even want to be employed there.

Advice to Management

Spend more time worrying about employees that bust their butt to try and keep their jobs versus worrying about how many times an Advisor says the students name and says "Um". Don't be hypocritical because if the Advisors were to QA you on how many times you all said UM or called in, you wouldn't have a job. It's hard enough trying to find a decent paying job. Management needs to ensure that the Advisors are able to keep their jobs and go home happy rather than go home stressed that tomorrow isn't promised in the APUS world.

11. "Associate professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor
    Current Employee - Associate Professor

Pros

Distance work, enjoying teaching students

Cons

Very low pay, may be 30000 below than an Associate professor made in other colleges or universities. Work-load amount constantly increasing, but the salary is the same. last 6 years no pay raise.

Advice to Management

It is time to try to safe this place. Wake up!