American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 15 April, 2019

2.8
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was not great but being able to work from home outweighed the low pay" (in 25 reviews)

• "Management understands work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very low pay by industry standards" (in 13 reviews)

• "Some Travel and need PhD for full time work" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Talented team & growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Manassas, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Manassas, VA (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my 6+ years at APUS, I've had numerous opportunities for professional development. My supervisors have honored my requests to take on additional responsibilities and learn new skills, and have carved a path for my career growth. Each year I'm able to attend conferences or seminars, and have also been added to internal committees for high-level initiatives.

In addition:
    -Colleagues are talented and hardworking.
    -Department has been adding positions, helping us work on projects that have been pushed down our priority list due to bandwidth.
    -Work-life balance, ability to work from home twice a week.

Cons

At times, projects come down to my team/department with little time to strategize and plan appropriately. Having two office locations also makes it difficult to work as closely with other departments as I would like.

Advice to Management

Consult with teams that do the work before promising a project launch date.
    Provide similar perks to both office locations (i.e. coffee cart).

2. "Academic Freedom"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The ability to teach your classes without someone looking over your shoulder. Supervisors have your back when dealing with students. Supervisors keep you updated on any changes forthcoming.

Cons

Have been there almost 10 years and have had only 1 opportunity to go full-time. Same pay since I started. Not very consistent with getting class assignments due to lower enrollment.

Advice to Management

Push for pay raises for your adjunct faculty!

3. "Enjoyed my time here"

Current Employee - Student Support in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Student Support in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- This company predominately promotes from within which has granted a large number of people to be promoted faster than most would have the opportunity at other colleges.
    - Ability to work remotely when needed in most areas
    - Benefits package is great compared to other companies I have worked for
    - Challenging work that helps people get their education
    - Co-workers are amazing here and a big reason why I have stayed
    - They have started to offer some great perks like a barista cart where you get a free drink every day.

Cons

- Technology is currently being updated in several key areas that should have been addressed earlier.

Advice to Management

Company had grown significantly and with that has brought change. Focus of your change leadership plan and find a balance between maintaining a company that promotes from within and bringing in fresh leadership.

"Don’t even consider working here"

Former Employee - Academic
    Former Employee - Academic

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Telecommuting capability. Although most companies allow this now.

Cons

The change in management has been devastating to the mission and really plummeted morale across the board. Multiple teams in academics are struggling to understand the direction/mission. Lack of communication from upper management. Faculty don’t get paid nearly enough for the work we do. Registrar’s office is struggling with the new working hours. The online library is hemorrhaging good people due to poor management. Students are customers and people in academics have a tough time shifting towards ‘the customer is always right’ mentality. Stear clear of this place - don’t even consider working here if you want to have a happy work life.

Advice to Management

I don’t even know how to give advice, it’s so bad.

5. "A Caring and Dynamic Company"

Current Employee - Administrative in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative in Charles Town, WV (US)

Pros

APUS is a company that sits in the heart of a small community with a keen appreciation for the rich culture and history of its hometown. APUS is a conscientious organization that values its employees and students. Despite how large this company has grown over the years, its high touch approach to dealing with employee relations and customer service has never faltered. This is a forward thinking company with a vision to be the best higher education institution! There are many ways APUS proves how valuable its employees are daily, including: fair and competitive compensation, stellar benefits, telework, and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Sometimes the company struggles with its identity because it has had to reshape itself through the tremendous growth spurts it's enjoyed. It is important to continue to be patient while management works through unraveling that knot.

Advice to Management

You're doing great...but keep the lines of communication open with your employees. It's important that they feel like they are aware of the strategy and how they fit into the fabric of the organization. You should also remind them how much value they add to the company!

"THROWING EMPLOYEES UNDER THE BUS"

Pros

I've worked here for over 5 yrs, and it used to be a decent job. I enjoyed working at home, especially when the kids were younger. They offer full benefits and let us buy company shares.

Cons

They have moved more and more toward a customer service business rather than being a school. They make us give grades the students haven't earned to keep them enrolled. This year some braniac at HQ decided to have our big yearly meeting OVER MOTHERS DAY WEEKEND. It will be my first Mothers Day away from my family ever. My own mother isn't getting any younger, but this year, no family celebration. All they care about are profits. They don't give a hoot about working moms.

Advice to Management

Its bad enough that you make us teach so many students. At least avoid family holidays for meeting week. Probably won't matter to me. After this year, I'm done. I can find a job that pays more and doesn't schedule meetings over Mothers Day.

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

Pros

Faculty supervisors are responsive. Don't micromanage like several other schools that I teach at.

APUS is one of the few schools that provides 401k matching for adjuncts. No other benefits to speak of.

Cons

Poor pay structure. Pay is based on number of students in the course. If you have a large number of students, you are well compensated for your time. However, if you have only 5 students in your course, your expected to meet all requirements and in the end, are paid less than minimum wage.

No pay raise in 8 years, even with above-average student survey ratings.

Learning management system is outdated.

Advice to Management

LMS is obsolete and cumbersome. Transition to Canvas or Brightspace system, which provides much more interactive tools that will increase staff effectiveness and student learning.

8. "Good benefits, lower pay"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k, medical, dental, vision, good experience for resume

Cons

lack of organization
    lower pay compared to similar jobs and for the cost of living

"Seriously...DON'T!!!"

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offices are against the commute

Cons

Company is failing. Layoffs for longer term employees are happening in droves. No creative ideas, completely risk adverse, constantly flirting with violating the Title IV 90-10 rule which requires at least 10% of their tuition come from non-federal sources. Constantly retaining consultants who are friends of C-suite or Board Members. Once an honorable online college choice for military and public service but shift to sales-focused enrollment targets has completely changed them. They are "all about he Benjamins." Toxic environment in which speaking out results in being laid-off. If you want to compromise your integrity, keep your mouth shut and be blindly led into failure, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get with the innovations that are occurring in the online education world. You are being left behind and are getting beat by the competition in nearly every aspect of this business due to your risk adverse approach to development and your sales-focused versus strategic partner approach.

"Adjunct Math Professor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to keep up with the most up to date teaching strategies

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.