American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was not great but being able to work from home outweighed the low pay" (in 25 reviews)

• "Management understands work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, company internal culture is changing" (in 14 reviews)

• "Some Travel and need PhD for full time work" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good company to work with"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charles Town, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Adapt new technology relatively quicker than other organizations I worked with. Plenty of room of growth. Free degree program for Full Time Employees.

Cons

Too many processes sometimes keep things slow

2. "Online Professor"

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Students are fabulous, and I love the courses I teach. I'm happy with my medical benefits.

Cons

We don't get holidays. We are held to strict deadlines that are monitored, and so there is no flexible time to take a day off. All grading must be done within 5 days and with a heavy course load for fulltimers, that means working very full days through the week to get them done before Saturday morning, and we are expected to work one day on the weekend contributing to class discussions and answering e-mail. It's not enough just to check email on the weekend; we have to show students that we are present and working. So, in addition to not getting holidays, we don't even get a 2-day weekend.

Advice to Management

Stop burning out your best faculty members with this onerous workload. At the very least, give us a weekend every once in a while and Christmas break.

"I worked at APUS for 10 years"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

I really liked my job. I was an Adjunct Instructor, full time, so I had benefits. The pay was not great but being able to work from home outweighed the low pay.

Cons

This school is a for profit Univ. I taught a class where they wanted everyone to pass, even when they did not deserve to. We were told to accept all late work, do not grade spelling, etc. This would not happen in a traditional setting. Also they began piling on more work for less pay.

Advice to Management

Treat your instructors well. You had some awesome teachers and let 40 of them go. You should have done more to find jobs for them in APUS since many had been working for APUS for years and were very loyal.

"OMG"

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to find something

Cons

I am sure company will close in next couple of years. They are pretending that they are doing something but nope. Absolutely nothing.

Advice to Management

You need to go to training how to manage professors and staff. Every place I talk has same issue. Depression depression.

"The place is constantly changing..."

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing that I can think of now.. because no one knows what’s happening..

Cons

Not a place to work as a company in whole and IT. The new CTO not adding any value. New bunch of IT managers who don’t know anything all are Bunch of new comers. I will say APUS and IT is a sinking boat. HR who will NOT do anything for its employees. Within IT there are 100’s of policies that are not applied to other departments. Lot of politics in the name of work.

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on these expensive CTO, VP’s , directors.. if you cannot keep your employees happy with basic wants then you won’t see motivated employees.

"Taking advantage of WV"

Former Employee - Director in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Charles Town, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location is on the outskirts of the commutable DC metro area

Cons

Low pay compared to industry standards, no overtime, annual raises below the cost of living increases, no career ladder, poor personnel and fiscal management

Advice to Management

Increase wages, stop increasing health insurance rates every year - between cost of living adjustments and health insurance rates, your employees are making less money every year while senior management and above receives larger increases and free company stock.

"Run, run fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV (US)

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not enough to overcome the cons.

Cons

Company is in a downward spiral. Lack of management. No employee care.

Advice to Management

They don’t like to listen to or take advice.

"Pay is low."

I have been working at American Public University System full-time

Pros

You can teach online.

Cons

Workload is overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the workload.

"Started out great"

Former Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV (US)
    Former Employee - IT Support in Charles Town, WV (US)

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the atmosphere of the company

Cons

Things just started to go down hill. Management really started slipping

Advice to Management

Communication

"Lots of Pros, but also more and more Cons now"

Pros

I'm trying to think of Pros that haven't been mentioned by others already yet, but I'll probably still end up echoing them anyway - sure, there is a great, solid benefits package, 401k, free tuition, remote work from home (a huge plus to be able to sleep in until right before work starts) etc. But this is also hands-down the best management and work environment I've been in - great bosses and great coworkers. They take ethics seriously here at APUS, too (which is something that couldn't be said for my previous employer, the one I worked for before coming to APUS.)

The work I do in my job is also fair, assessed fairly, not too stressful, and predictable enough that I don't have to worry about what I'll be doing the next day. It can be boring, but it's steady, calm, and not difficult. A great job for someone who likes stable security and low stress.

Management is also willing to think long-term. By implementing a new technological system one year, they were able to gradually reap huge benefits and greatly streamline work a year or two later (and for many years to come.) Made our jobs perhaps 15% easier.

If it weren't for the job location (management has become more restrictive about remote-work locations), I would want to work here my entire career, for decades, until the day I retired.

Cons

The company is rather spendthrift, spending many thousands of dollars on a needless fly-everyone-from-all-over-the-nation-together-for-a-big-meeting thing (to their credit, they only did it once and never again,) hiring an unnecessary wellness person to teach things like yoga and breathing, too often hiring new employees in a panicked rush to handle short-term problems when it could have been fixed simply by getting existing employees to work some paid overtime (would have been much cheaper,) building unnecessary facilities, etc. If APUS tightened its belt in a wiser and more surgical fashion, it could have freed up a significant amount of money and the company's finances would be in better shape.

Also, in some departments, it's all but impossible to get promoted. You could end up doing the same job for 5, 10 or even 15 years.

And senior management is sometimes quite cryptic; keeping lower-level employees in the dark about some things or making announcements that surprise or catch people off guard.

Advice to Management

Give salary raises of 3-4% instead of just 2% annually. Doing away with the bonuses was OK, but 2% is too little.

Stop spending money on unnecessary things. Don't be penny wise but pound foolish. And reduce the tuition rate back down to the GI Bill-reimbursed level, not a penny more. That was bad for student enrollment.

And although I'm not an adjunct professor, the adjunct profs should be paid more.

Other than that, you're doing great; this is still an A- workplace to be; a B+ at the very least.