American Public University System Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

American Public University System Reviews

Updated Nov 4, 2019

2.5
American Public University System  Chief Executive Officer Dr. Wallace E. Boston
Dr. Wallace E. Boston
Pros
  • "The ability to work from home and flex time throughout the week for occasional accommodation needs(in 28 reviews)

• "APUS is a company that sits in the heart of a small community with a keen appreciation for the rich culture and history of its hometown(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Check all other schools’ reviews that are as large as APUS(in 33 reviews)

• "Very low pay by industry standards(in 13 reviews)

"Would not Recommend...."

Former Employee - Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full tuition costs are paid for by the university for Bachelor's and Master's courses, generous maternity leave, good company culture.

Cons

Management could be greatly improved, and there is prevalent micro-management as well. Specialists make so little, and the company should truly be ashamed that starting salaries are $15 an hour. $15 an hour is minimum wage in some states. No one can be expected to support their families when making so little.

American Public University System2019-11-04

"Bad Management"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at American Public University System part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy the students and variety of courses that I teach overall.

Cons

No pay raises and management needs to know that some of the directors need to go. If you email them, they never email back. Also, one of the directors has no management skill set and it really shows. He use to be in the police business for many years and unfortunately, has brought that skill set to APUS. This is academic, not police.

American Public University System2019-10-08
  3. "Better than you think"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, challenging, good work life balance

Cons

Sometimes lacks transparent communication. Silos

American Public University System2019-09-13
  4. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote allows you flexibility to work anytime and anywhere.

Cons

Technology is out-of-date, but plans to update are in the works.

American Public University System2019-08-16

"Workload is decent/admin isn’t"

Former Employee - Faculty

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The workload is manageable and repetitive.

Cons

Curriculum revisions by faculty who aren’t instructional designers but instructed to make changes by ill informed admin means constant updates and changes. That part of the job is tedious.

American Public University System2019-08-15

"Had to step down. Couldn't deal with the whiplash."

Current Employee - Director/Faculty in Lansing, MI

Pros

Health Care Benefits. 401K. Sick Leave. Flexible Hours. Students Are Military. 20 days Vacation. PD Opportunities. Good Colleagues.

Cons

Disorganization From The Top Through The Ranks. No Real Leadership. Comeplete Lack Of Communication. Labor/Workplace Issues. Pay Among Worst In Industry. Turnover Off The Charts. Pressure to Grade Inflate. No Support From Supervisors. Dog Eat Dog Climate.

American Public University System2019-07-12

"Same Pay for Ten Years With More Work Added"

Current Employee - Instructor in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The job is online, so you can work from home.

Cons

Unpredictable number of classes. Required to do more work for no extra pay. Pay for Part-Time Faculty is exactly what it was in 2010, but the required work has greatly increased.

American Public University System2019-09-01

"Demoralizing and Impossible Standards to Meet"

Current Employee - Director in Remote, OR

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working remotely has been a blessing as my children have aged. I enjoy working with faculty and students.

Cons

It has become apparent over the last six months or so that Faculty and Directors are but mere tools in the eyes of Upper Level Administration. The bottom line is the money. Cap Labor spreadsheets are sent to us on a regular (usually with less than a day turnaround to complete them) and our OER Initiative and constant, circular examination of UFWI rates is indicative that the most important thing is KEEPING our students, not TEACHING them. Faculty are held to absurd standards in terms of being available 24-7-365, but supporting departments and senior management are not. And Directors have huge amounts of responsibility, but are not paid more than Full Time Faculty. Why?

American Public University System2019-07-31

"Same song, umpteenth verse"

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Some really great people work here...or did. Many are leaving, with good reason. Yes, they have benefits. Really pretty good benefits.

Cons

No leadership. A tons of chiefs who are caught up in meeting after meeting and never get anything accomplished. After nearly a dozen years at this university, the same mistakes were made time after time. Start a project but never finish it. I don't remember how many departments and group teams I worked with, but every time I got to know a person, they were gone within months. Planning is not a word in the vocabulary of the administrators. "Fly by the seat of your pants" and "react" are key terms here. (But when they do try to plan, they plan the plan to death!) Proactive and results-oriented are not words they use....and when an employee tries, they are often "released". Great ideas within, but petty politics seem to override those ideas.

American Public University System2019-08-28

"sharing informatin helps"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member

Pros

interesting variety of courses fascinating students

Cons

We work in the dark without much knowledge of what is going on throughout the university. Payment for adjuncts is so erratic that we can work for weeks without actually knowing what we are earning. So much turnover in middle management means that adjunct part timers can get heavily faulted because the new people coming in decide to change a lot of rules that those of us who have been working there longer than they have are accustomed to. Often little or no follow through on commitments made to faculty by middle management admin. If we trust things will be taken care of and then realize we have to persist to get promises kept, then we get faulted for asking too many people too many times for follow through that seemed to have been forgotten.

American Public University System2019-08-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 236 reviews