Upstream Works Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

1. Featured Review

"Leaders that care"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Vaughan, ON
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Vaughan, ON

I have been working at Upstream Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing work environment
    -The employees are helpful and are always willing to help.
    -Great work/life balance
    -Good benefits
    -Work from home is allowed when you need it
    -Can learn a lot from peers

Cons

-Coping with the fast growth can be challenging. Requiring to keep balance with the present and the fast pacing future has its challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing . The company is heading in the right direction.

Upstream Works Response

5 Sep, 2017 – Director of Culture

Thank you for posting your review on our Glassdoor page. We love reading your positive feedback and it’s great to know that you are enjoying our benefits and perks as well as experiencing a positive... More

""Do I Look Stupid To You?""

Former Employee - Programmer in Vaughan, ON
    Former Employee - Programmer in Vaughan, ON

Pros

A few employees have a good sense of humour.

If you work there for fifteen years then you get underground parking.

Public transportation is available but you have to walk fifteen minutes from the bus stop.

Lunch is provided once a month.

Bimonthly company escapades.

No need to take initiative because management will turn down ideas that could boost productivity, e.g.:
    1. Improve maintenance using better software patterns.
    2. Improve deployment times using automation tools and PowerShell.
    3. Improve developer-to-developer collaboration (using Pull Requests and Markdown text files).
    4. Improve developer productivity using ReSharper, Vim, and the Git-Bash Shell.

Cons

"Do I look stupid to you?",
    "Was I born yesterday?". These are actual phrases said to me verbatim in the same meeting.

Management does not understand the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).

People are hired and fired at a moment's whim.

Company is stingy: the computer is slow (it has a spinning hard drive!) and the screen is low resolution and dim (it hurts to read text!)

Management team do not lead by example: They have up-to-date laptops and screens.

No teamwork: I had been told by colleagues to work slower.

Advice to Management

Wish I had known about the Cons (see above) before I had been presented with a job offer. Bait and switch during interviews (interviewers were nice; and then mean afterwards). Please show your codebase to potential new-hires during the interview (oops, did I just expose that I was hired as a programmer?)

Upstream Works Response

22 Sep, 2016 – Director of Culture

It is disappointing to see your negative comments but we do appreciate your feedback regarding your short experience with us. We will review internally with our staff and take action on any items... More

3. "Developer"

Pros

Nice team member, great place to work.

Cons

Average salary growth in the market.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Upstream Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are smart, friendly, enthusiastic and a lot of fun. Company extra-curricular are always a blast. In my experience all of the managers are willing to step up to the occasion if there are issues or problems. The company is very supportive of changing careers either laterally or vertically within the company and is very supportive of continuing education and training. Upper Managers are always available for suggestions and comments.

Cons

The pace of work can require working outside normal business hours (although this is always compensated with pay, or time in lieu, and food is often provided). Salary can be a little on the low side.

6. "IT Administrator"

Pros

Very dynamic and entrepreneurial environment. The entire team works hard, and plays hard. Everyone strives to combine work with the socialization that helps you look forward to going to work in the morning.

Cons

The fast pace of the development cycle, can overwhelm and over-ride the best laid plans and intentions of the team.

"Upstream Works a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Vaughan, ON
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Vaughan, ON

I have been working at Upstream Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I truly believe I'm fairly compensated
    - We have a work hard/play hard mentality. Everyone expects to work hard, but monthly company pizza lunches, social events such as summer BBQ and Christmas party are just a few of the play hard examples.
    - I believe that I have an opportunity to grow with the company, as it grows.
    - Strong management vision, that is communicated throughout the company, helps keep the team motivated and optimistic about the future of the company
    - I enjoy coming to work. I expect to work hard, but I also know I'm part of a great team that will help me overcome and work through any issues that arise.

Cons

- typical challenges that a PS organization would face, working to deploy software solutions (though I'm not sure that's a true Con)

Advice to Management

as you grow, remember to keep the values that made you a unique place to work as a small company. Don't change your current core values

8. "Work culture"

Pros

Really good work environment and friendly colleagues.Opportunities to grow

Cons

Cannot think of any downsides as of now.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and working towards making it one of the best places to work.

9. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

Pros

Very friendly and dynamic working environment. Latest and greatest technologies being used in development.

Cons

could not think of any cons do far....

10. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vaughan, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vaughan, ON

I have been working at Upstream Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Up and coming company has a start up feel tempered with the stability of having been in the business for many years. Amazing respect for family and achieving work/life balance. Constantly striving to improve its processes, products, and services, and above all else, the environment its employees value so much. Fast moving, with a work hard/play hard mentality.

Cons

I don't think I can come up with a con. If you enjoy being part of something that is growing, exciting, challenging, and rewarding, this is the place for you. The benefits program could be a bit more comprehensive but that is all I can think of!

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The effort you put forth in supporting and valuing your employees is very much appreciated.

"Small tech company, friendly atmosphere."

I worked at Upstream Works full-time

Pros

Small company where you get to work with and understand all the parts of the product, while being the go-to for your job function. Personal relationships. Work-life balance - as long as you get the job done.

Cons

Mentorship is difficult in a small company where there is only one person per job function. Compensation is average. Limited scope for moving up.

Advice to Management

Leadership is generally pretty good. Just open up a bit to new ideas an alternate technologies from lower down the ladder.