Ultius Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Ultius Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.8
Ultius CEO Dante Frizzoli (no image)
Dante Frizzoli
Pros
  • "We are dealt with fairly, even with unhappy customers writers are still treated justly(in 25 reviews)

• "The editors are always helpful and customer service goes above and beyond(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Editors don't read the notes on the project and have to be reminded of what's going on (a quick summary/overview helps with that)(in 41 reviews)

• "They do not like prolific writers as they do not really want to pay you the money(in 29 reviews)

1. "Overall a Good Experience"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ultius part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick Responses from Staff Good System Layout

Cons

Limited work You learn as you go

Ultius2019-09-26

September 30, 2019Writer Success Lead

Hello and thank you for this review! We are so pleased you have enjoyed writing with us. It sounds like our platform layout has been user-friendly and easy to navigate. It also sounds like you have enjoyed the support offered by Ultius staff. We understand that available work is competitive and it takes determination to succeed. We hope you continue putting in the effort and we are here if you need anything. Thank you, again. :-)

"Company doesn't care about writers, will terminate contract over slight offenses"

Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Ultius full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, I made decent money while working there while working from home. Likely the best remote job I've had so far, but I haven't had too many so that doesn't say much. It was fairly easy money for the most part.

Cons

You are basically writing papers for dumb college kids who are lazy and can't write. At times they will be rude and request insane things. The company will mark you and force pay cuts for slight issues with the writing, most of which are due to the client's own negligence. They do not like prolific writers as they do not really want to pay you the money. They ultimately want to keep an influx of new writers to... maintain leverage over their workers. They will fire you for slight offenses that are extremely negligible, such as having an identical sentence in a document from another document that was submitted by the writer. This is pretty ridiculous, yet they constitute it as "self-plagiarism" which doesn't really exist.

Advice to Management

Admit that you're breaking the law, admit to your writers that they won't be around long, stop pretending like you're an actual company when you are an essay mill.

Ultius2019-03-07

March 16, 2019Writer Success Lead

Hello and thank you for this review. We understand that you are no longer writing with us at this time. Based upon the information you shared, it sounds as though you were satisfied with your income when you did write with us. But you struggled with our policies including the zero-tolerance policy we have for plagiarism. We are sorry that this was ultimately not a good fit but we are hopeful that you will continue your writing in the future. Thank you for your time with us and for sharing your thoughts in this review. We wish you all the best.

"It's a great company"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love my job and can work whenever, however, and wherever I like. Not everyone can handle that freedom and responsibility which is presumably why there is a dissing review on this website

Cons

There is not a lot of team interactions. All you, all day. That's how you play.

Advice to Management

Keep it real.

Ultius2018-08-20

August 21, 2018Writer Success Lead

Hello! Thank you for taking time to post this review. We sincerely appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. In your review, you noted some of the positive merits of writing with us including the freedom to work from anywhere (with an internet connection) and the ability to create your own schedule. Many of our writers agree that the autonomy afforded with this freelance opportunity is truly invaluable. We are so pleased that you agree. Thank you again for this review. We look forward to a bright future with you on the team!

"Excellent!"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Ultius part-time for less than a year

Pros

You choose your work load, the payment is fair, and in peak seasons the work is plentiful.

Cons

Sometimes there's no work at certain periods.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Thank you!

Ultius2018-05-30

June 4, 2018Writer Success Lead

Hello! Thank you for taking time to leave this review. We are so pleased to read that your experience has been positive and enriching. If you need anything while you continue writing on the team, please remember that Writer Success is available to give you one-on-one support. Thank you, again, for the feedback and have a wonderful day!

5. "Support Rep"

I have been working at Ultius full-time

Pros

Amazing environment, great management! They have everything you need to feel like you're at home in the office.

Cons

Can get slow during their slow season.

Ultius2018-05-26

September 4, 2018HR Manager

Thank you so much for leaving a review! We strive to have a positive environment and are happy to hear you enjoy it. We worked hard to build a culture and office that is inviting and productive. Hearing your feedback affirms that we have accomplished our goal. We appreciate you.

"Freelance Writer"

I have been working at Ultius

Pros

flexibility, you can choose your own assignments

Cons

inconsistent work; slow summer months

Advice to Management

get better editors

Ultius2018-05-15

May 19, 2018Writer Success Lead

Thank you for taking time to leave this review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed a few of the positive aspects of writing with Ultius including a flexible schedule and the ability to write on the topics that interest you most. We understand you have requested we take a look at the editors we have on the team. If you wish to discuss any of your interactions with staff that were unsatisfactory, please feel free to contact Writer Success. Thank you again for this review. We wish you all the best as you continue writing with us.

"Where are the orders for new writers? Please, show more!"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Ultius full-time for less than a year

Pros

At the moment, I am a bit irritated because new writers aren't even being given the fair chance to prove themselves. There's always a catch. I've read many positive aspects from writers about working for Ultius, but these writers have been working for the company as freelance writers for at least six months. The pay is certainly fair for the work the writers do. Paying by the hour would be even better but to me, the... pay is not the problem at all. So, I guess the pay, freedom to pick from a lot of different orders (once you've completed your first 20 orders) and freedom to take vacations when desired are some of the positives. I learn something new each week. Based on my own experience so far, the editors, interviewers and administrative assistance team are honest and respectful. This job is something great to add to your résumé if you're right out of college and need more professional experience in the writing field.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to reach the 20 minimum amount of orders new writers must complete in order to apply to have access to graduate orders, regular orders, and urgency orders. This makes no sense, and it's absolutely frustrating to refresh your 'Take Orders' page in your account multiple times throughout the day only to have just one or two orders showing up at max. New writers should be allowed accessed to at... least half of the Freelance queue (default for writers). There are a lot more than two orders available, but they just won't allow new writers to have access to everything right from the get-go. New Ultius writers will struggle to complete even just one order starting out if they can't even find a topic they studied proficiently, or at least a little bit, in college. Good luck doing that based on the one or two available orders. All in all, there is no topic variety in the orders for new writers. This is a problem. You need a lot of patience starting out, and not all writers are patient because they just want to get started writing. The excuse of "low season" is a bit of nonsense because even during low season, more than two orders usually still exist each day.

Advice to Management

Allow new writers to see more than just two orders in his or her own account. Stretch it out to like eight or nine, and don't allow them to take urgency orders or graduate orders starting out. Not only is this more fair, but it guarantees new writers the chance to prove themselves being able to choose from multiple assignments in the regular queue category. This would also make it easier for editors to work with... these new writers. Why would an individual, who majored in English or history in college, take an order in the subject of nursing or biology? That is not a good plan. This is turning away new freelance writers because they can't find work when logged in when the work is actually available for every other writer. Perhaps, this would be more fair if new writers received a higher pay for fewer orders starting out if they don't have to make any revisions. There should be some kind of a compromise here.

Ultius2018-05-01

May 7, 2018Writer Success Lead

Thank you for taking time to provide this review! We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. Based upon the information you have provided, we would like to address a few important merits. You noted that your experience with the staff has been positive and respectful. Also, that you have found the writing opportunity with Ultius to be lucrative and convenient. We are so pleased to hear that your experience has been so positive. In your review you also noted a concern with regard to the order queues. Please allow us to explain a slight misconception you may have about the queues. All writers who join the team automatically have full access to the freelance queue. We do not limit the number of orders you see in this queue. If you have seen two orders only, this will be because when you logged on there were that number of orders available in the queue. Please always feel free to contact Writer Success if you need clarification on the order queues, explanation of policies, or tips on your writing with Ultius. Thank you again for your review!

8. "Not a Bad Way to Make Some Extra Money"

Freelance Writer

I have been working at Ultius

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to improve your writing

Cons

Slow times means that not many orders are available, editors can be unresponsive at times, clients can be unreasonable at times

Ultius2018-02-28

March 5, 2018Writer Liaison

Hello and thank you for this review. We appreciate you taking the time to provide meaningful feedback. Based upon the information you have shared, we would like to address a few merits. You noted several positive aspects of writing with us including the freedom to create your own schedule and the ability to improve your writing as you earn extra income. We are so pleased you have enjoyed these parts of writing with us. Also noted in your review were a few areas which could benefit from improvement including client interactions, responses from editors, and overall order volume. If you have any questions on how to navigate those items during your time with us, please do not hesitate to contact Writer Success. We are here and happy to help. Thank you again for your review!

"Dream Job Come True!"

Current Employee - Writer in America, OK

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have found my dream job at Ultius, and am going on my fourth year as a writer. Ultius has allowed me more freedom and success in life with the ability to set my own schedule, chose my own jobs through interest and availability, and develop strong client relationships. I get paid to learn and help people, and I feel like my dreams have truly come true.

Cons

It would be great if a 10 minimum for a page was the norm.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being so supportive!

Ultius2018-02-12

February 19, 2018Writer Liaison

Hello! We would like to sincerely thank you for this review. It is such a delight to hear how much our writers, like you, enjoy being on the team. Based upon the information you have shared, we would like to address a few important merits. You noted several positive aspects of writing with us including: a flexible schedule, lifelong learning, earning extra income in your free time, and the longevity of the opportunity in general. These are just a few important reasons why talented writers love writing with Ultius. Additionally you noted the super supportive staff. Over the last few years, we have taken strides to increase the support we offer our freelance writers and we are pleased to hear that you have taken notice. Thank you again for this review. We wish you all the best as you continue writing with us!

"Solid"

Current Employee - Editor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than a year

Pros

Accommodating to my schedule. Centrally located. Great office. Everyone in the office is very nice. CEO is very easy to work with.

Cons

Not very many. They've taken good care of me since I've been with them over 2 years now.

Ultius2018-01-22

March 2, 2018HR Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! Office location and appeal are very important to us. We want our staff to come to work in an appealing atmosphere, which is why we designed the floorplan and finishes ourselves. Periodically we update the posters on our walls with ideas from you, the staff. We do this to ensure you know that you are what keeps us going. The CEO is easy to work with, and is usually the brains behind the ideas to please the staff. He wants the atmosphere to be a place he wants to go to, which is why he knows that is important to other folks too. Thank you again for your input!

Found 61 reviews