Toolstation Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

2.9
Toolstation Managing Director James Mackenzie
James Mackenzie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Customers, some colleagues, staff discount" (in 6 reviews)

• "The job doesn't involve getting dirty, Meet some nice customers" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor staffing budgets that affect colleagues work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "Clocking in, which has now has been abolished in Head office" (in 9 reviews)

"Great place to work...but only for some!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance on the most part when store is settled. Expectation is to pick up the slack where there are vacancies or sickness within the store.

Cons

When it hits then fan, it can all go horribly wrong. Recent change in RM has meant that a lot of support that was provided previously is no longer there due to inexperience and a lot of teams are really feeling it.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within the business as external candidates don’t understand the business and the pressures that everyone is under due to lean labour model. It’s great when everyone is there but falls down when people leave or get sick.

"Plumber's"

Current Employee - Plumber in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Plumber in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good to work for

Cons

Sometimes not on tkme with thr things

Advice to Management

Maybr improve maner

"Fast growing company"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kirkcaldy, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Kirkcaldy, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company just over 16 months and in that time I have been put on there retail development program which I completed and I loved it has made me a more confident person in work and in my personal life they offer a good work life balance and great progression to anyone who wants to push forward and make a good career for them selfs I have a great team in my store currently and they make me enjoy going to work!!

Cons

No two days are the same in toolstation but as a company they are learning and growing and they will make mistakes along the way to get to where they need to be I have no major issues with working here

Advice to Management

All store managers should be paid the same not all different bands

"Enjoyable with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Keyholder in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Keyholder in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager makes sure my rota fits around my football. The team I work with are also a good laugh. Quite excited at the prospect of developing myself and the company is talking a lot about development and opportunities. Can see myself here for a while.

Cons

My hourly rate could be better to be fair, but I do get to pick up extra hours which is a big plus!

Advice to Management

I can see lots of positive change coming and just don’t forget that your people make you succeed.

"Great place to work."

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, a big company that is retaining its family values. Good work culture and great people. A growing business that values and invests in its staff. A agile business where an emlpoyee can still influence their departments positively.

Cons

Clocking in, which has now has been abolished in Head office.

"Loving it!!!"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My team are tops and enjoy the banter with them.
    Customers are generally a laugh too and the works not really that hard.

Cons

My manager needs to make better coffee...

Advice to Management

My RM is a breath of fresh air, can we keep him!

"Bit more life-work balance would be great. As would better pay - it's embarrassing."

Current Employee - Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my job. As long as people from HQ leave us alone. It's the staff that make it for me and I've made some great friends there. We're almost a family. I think the key to success, at branch level at least, is to build a good, strong team. If that is done correctly then everything else falls into place. Yes, there needs to be core standards but allowing managers to run the branch in the manner that they see fit - to account for the locality, staff quirks etc - will promote growth. If customers see happy, dedicated staff...they return. If I go to a pub and the bar person looked miserable and whined about their job, why would I go back?

Cons

Couple of things -

Staffing levels - pared to the bone. Everything is run on a tightrope and if there's a man down or some are on holidays, then things can get brutal and the work/life balance (which is already poor) can crumble into the abyss.

Pay - it's well below standard. I feel ripped off every single day.

Why the focus on petty nonsense? Relax, it's an industry that relies on real people with real needs and concerns. So what is something isn't signed in the right place or the toilet roll is an unauthorised brand, nobody will die.

Advice to Management

I can see some changes within. And that's good. It's very important to hire real human RMs and not corporate robots that have no idea how to talk to people. I will have no problem handing my keys back if I get any form of disrespect and I'll be on the lake fishing by the afternoon and not look back. To be fair, and as I said before, there are hints of change and our new RM does indeed come across as a likeable real human. That, makes all the difference and goes someway towards retaining staff - the Toolstation Holy Grail.

"Pros/cons"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Selective staff, and selective customers.

Cons

Pay, £8.48 for a supervisor is robbery. A normal person in a supermarket gets roughly £9-£9.50 for shelf stacking and serving. Try to keep employees yet cut hours. Cant keep staff when theres bills to pay. Yet giving them no payrise or nothing, no loyalty towards co wokers. A great place to work is not what i would say at all . Outdated till system. Finish at 8 back in at 6.

Advice to Management

My advice. Take care of the staff and the staff will take care of you, putting customers first is not the way forward, believe me. These employees work 16-40 hours pw. Customers, yes, pay our bills. But the majority of the time are clueless, reckon i should work in the building with a suit and tie on, 3 years id have it the best place to work. By actually listening, and communicating, with staff.

Toolstation Response

31 Aug, 2018 – Retail Director

Hello, thank you for writing your review; it's really important to me that I receive and listen to feedback.

I am really focused on making sure that Toolstation is a great place to work and I... More

"Worst year ever"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with. Customers.

Cons

Pay. Hours. Micro managed. No autonomy. All treated like incapable.

Advice to Management

Give managers more autonomy, better pay and leave them alone to run their store. Spend time focusing on the managers that can't manage rather than treating us all as if we are incapable idiots.

"Good"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Toolstation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team members you work with

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

None

Toolstation Response

31 Aug, 2018 – Retail Director

Hello, thanks so much for your review.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying working at Toolstation so much! There's still lots of opportunity for us to improve, and I hope that you will like... More