TNI Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

TNI President and Founder Steve Allison
Steve Allison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good inside environement , great people , teaching you every thing they can , friendly manager (in 5 reviews)

• communicate with freaks when you door-to-door (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Door to door canvassing is outdated (in 14 reviews)

• Going door-to-door requires highest level of motivation (in 6 reviews)

1. "Useful job, not for everyone"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (AKA Door to Door Salesman) in Ottawa, ON

I worked at TNI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot from the Ottawa crew, including the amazing boss Gab Boult, in the short two months that I worked there.
    The sales tactics that we learn and the daily training is VERY useful, both for the job and for any other aspect of life. I was a very shy person before working for TNI, but the job greatly improved my self confidence.

It's a very easy company to grow in if you put in the effort.

You get paid once a week, so paychecks come in very often.

After 6 months, you get full benefits.

Cons

I mentioned it's easy to grow in, however regardless of your position, the job is usually the same: even the boss goes door-to-door (which is also a PRO, but it depends on your point of view.)

The job is very tough. Door-to-door is not for everyone and though it's not the only thing you do, it is definitely 99% of the job. It entails walking around all day, whether it's 40 degrees or -40, rain or shine, snowing, or whatever, you're going out there. You're gonna walk all day from 4 to 9 (because it's illegal to knock after 9), your back and legs are gonna hurt, you'll get the door slammed in your face. There's gonna be insults, threats, people who scream at you, people you woke up from their nap, etc. Honestly, the amount of enjoyment you get from this job depends 100% on YOU. If you like this kind of stuff, you'll love it. If you don't you'll hate it.

Payroll is a little sketchy. They promote it as up to $20/h with no comission, but realistically you start at minimum wage and then you can either go up or stay there depending on how many people you actualy sign up, so it actually IS comission in a certain way. Also, higher-ups get paid more depending on YOUR performance, so it has a certain "pyramid scheme" build.

Advice to Management

Don't sugar coat the position name. "Residential canvasser" and "Customer service representative" are not even REMOTELY similar. Either way, you tell people what the job is at the interview, so if they're not interested then they'll just say no anyways. If you show the actual job from the very beginning, it'll save you the hassle of unecessary interviews.

2. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at TNI full-time

Pros

None i can think of

Cons

plenty to say in this section

3. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at TNI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the team and also having fun meating with donors

Cons

I like the team work . The team was helping eachother avery time and also I got to help samone, always smiling even with under pressure

Advice to Management

Talk to employees and engage with them

5. "Hign turnover rate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at TNI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are really nice and funny.
    Paid training
    Travelling opportunities

Cons

Door to door canvassing is outdated
    Terrible work/life balance
    low salary

"Wheres the Opportunity??"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

Team oriented, Travel, Positive Atmosphere, Contests and Bonuses

Cons

Huge turnover rate. The thing i dont understand is how do they constantly promote opportunity but the people that have been there the longest seem to not get ahead. "Assistant Managers" "Managers" that have been at it for 3 plus yrs and still going door to door. Owners that have been part of the company for 10-15yrs leaving. Of course anytime someone leaves rumors are made up about how they got fired. But why would you fire the people that have been around the longest without offering any other opportunities? Maybe because there is no other opportunities and they dont want the younger ppl they can "train" more like manipulate, to see ppl that have been around for yrs not get ahead when all they do is talk about soo much opportunity. They say you can own your own business but all you own is a name. Everything else is comtrolled. Then the fact tgat they work for non profits. 90% of employees make min wage but ppl talk about the upper management makin millions. Also all tge $ given away for contests and free cars given away at xmas parties. Door 2 door will always be door 2 door, doesnt matter what you are peddling. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

Advice to Management

Stop filling 18, 20yr olds heads full of bs saying that there is sooo mych opportunity. If anything over the last 20yrs the company has gotten smaller and lost growth. Maybe providing opportunity to the ppl that deserve it instead of using them until theyre no longer needed. Sports teams have a great positive atmosphere and competition with which you guys have but loyalty and evolution is something that is definitely lacking.

"Absolutely no respect for employees"

Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I worked at TNI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 2 interviews I had were quite nice, but I can't talk about any of the positive.
    The borderline legal contract (that I questioned) made my first day, the last day too.
    If I have to pay for everything, earn so little, and work the hell of a shift, something ain't right! (See cons for the details)

Cons

- 12:30 to 9:30PM shifts, meaning no life
    - minimum wage, unless your performance (aka number of donors and attitude) is found to be worth more (completely subjective of course)
    - no health benefits before 6 months
    - have to pay for all supplies / tools you may damage / loose, including your badge, t-shirt, all the marketing pieces, the iPad, etc (better hold on to everything, or you gonna owe money to them, instead of earning some!)
    - also have to pay for the criminal check (there goes your first 3 hours of work)
    - no travel expanses !!! (wonderfully put as "voluntarily" hum)
    should I continue ?

PS : I wouldn't be surprised that the good reviews are a sort of obligation

Advice to Management

Treat your employee with a minimum of dignity and respect.

"Residential sales representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Get to help decrease poverty.

Cons

Quite Impossible to reach sales goals.
    Weird Management rules
    Very Difficult to be successful in this kind of a job

"TNI's Team-Oriented Workforce"

Current Employee - Leader in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Leader in Mississauga, ON

Pros

Working for TNI has been an absolute pleasure, as well as a learning experience I will use to cultivate my work ethic and habits for years to come. The amazing team synergy I experienced on the first day alone made me feel like I could be myself around these highly motivated, business-minded individuals.
    The opportunities given to me have made me beyond grateful for working for TNI.
    I enjoy every minute here growing and learning, and I urge anyone with similar interests to pursue a position at TNI!

Cons

Absolutely none at all. I enjoy my work and am finally able to say I found a career path that does not feel like "work" to me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Work"

Pros

Really nice place.Met great people

Cons

Pay is really small for the type of work

Advice to Management

Increase the pay

"I love my job"

Current Employee - British Columbia in New Westminster, BC
    Current Employee - British Columbia in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at TNI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seriously this job is awesome. I've been with this company for a year and a half already and I'm excited to still be here. My favorite thing about this job is the travel opportunity. I've been all over BC and have even done a few out of province trips as well. I love my co-workers and the fun atmosphere we have. I also enjoy that I get to meet many people each day. I've also grown as a person since starting this job and I wouldn't change this experience for the world. I also have amazing medical benefits.

Cons

There are no downsides to this job. How do I meet the 20 word minimum when there are no cons?