StarTech.com Reviews

Updated May 28, 2021

2.6
StarTech.com CEO Paul Seed
Paul Seed
Pros
  • "Great People and a great team atmosphere(in 12 reviews)

• "Work-life balance: definitely the best(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not a very good environment for fostering new ideas or being shown appreciation for the work you do(in 5 reviews)

• "Startech had an opportunity to do the right thing and take care of their employees , the CEO could have been a shinning example of the magnanimous(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great culture

Apr 19, 2021 - Product Development Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and culture!

Cons

None - keep up the good culture!

People & Culture

Having a positive work culture is very important to us at StarTech.com. Over the past 35 years we have received numerous awards for our amazing culture and continue, even in the face of a global pandemic, to work to ensure StarTech.com is a positive, flexible and inclusive environment for all of our employees to thrive.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Alright I guess

May 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mostly just the Team I worked on and the managers were steller. Benefits good pay, but the CEO left right before me and she was great I felt she made a good company culture.

Cons

One female trainer was a little "I am better than you" kinda attitude. which was really noticeable when I got her name wrong and she gave me attitude. It was a honest mistake and I had work to do, your name is not my priority Everything is a metric so if the want 100 100 100 of something done and you do 80 110 110, you are drilled to as why it's an 80 and not 100 even though you clearly put extra work in elsewhere.

People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your time with us at StarTech.com. We value all feedback from current and former team members so we continue to evolve as every successful business does. We wish you well in your future endeavours.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, not so great company

Apr 23, 2021 - Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers and staff Decent benefits Industry doing well during pandemic (actually shows growth) Salary can be competitive, but they do underpay when they know you don't have leverage

Cons

Downhill since previous CEO and CPO 'stepped down'. Company is performing well, and yet workforce was reduced last year Due to last year's layoffs, everyone absorbed work- people can only absorb so much until they feel overworked and underappreciated No clear strategic plan anymore - just fighting day to day issues Many long-term staff, leaving the organization Management no longer transparent- they've stopped indicating which people are leaving the company now, you only find out through LinkedIn and gossip these days Many new hires or rehires are contract or temp hires

People & Culture

It’s unfortunate that your experience at StarTech.com was not all positive, but we hope that during the 3 years with us, you have gained some good experiences. We appreciate that all business decisions are not supported especially during such a tough and unprecedented year. In the 35+ years in business, this is the first time StarTech.com was faced with the reality of reducing our team to this degree. We are a reputable company that takes pride in employing over 450 team members across the globe. Thank for taking the time to share on this platform and we wish you well in your new career.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Heading nowhere

May 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some amazing people that work here

Cons

Inadequate remuneration, no job security, restricted growth, no real transparency. Inner circle of friends with CEO/Owner who somehow have jobs but doesn't do any work, in fact, they hinder hard-working employees. If you're driven, motivated and hard-working, all those attributes will die here.

People & Culture

We agree that we have a team of amazing people at StarTech.com. Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective, however it is difficult to address your concerns on this platform. We welcome the opportunity to address your concerns if you provide us the opportunity to do so directly. At StarTech.com, our long history of growth year after year for over 35 years is not the result of one person or team but of the entire team working together as One Team! It is the hard working and passionate team members in every department that contribute to our overall success and we are thankful for the team’s dedication and commitment.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Can't discern what's right from wrong

May 10, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

We can work from homw time to time

Cons

The management team doesn't know how to descern what's good from bad decisions. They're constantly failing in this area making the wrong decisions simultaneously. This is such a big disappointment

People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s unfortunate that your time with us (less than a year) did not provide a positive experience for you. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Arrogant and stubborn

Apr 3, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredibly friendly and talented people/co-workers.

Cons

The CEO had no idea how to run a company or how to motivate or manage people in general. He was borderline abusive, and I don't think he even realize it. Hee was also incredibly arrogant and stubborn and would not listen to anyone no matter how much business or real-world expeerience they have.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Great professional development experience

Jan 28, 2021 - Sales Coordinator in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent professionals work at StarTech.com, I had the opportunity to learn a lot about my co-workers and leadership

Cons

Heavily revenue oriented over making the impression that people are not their top asset and value.

People & Culture

We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience working at StarTech.com and agree that we have an amazing team that makes our continued success a reality. Our employees are our most important asset and we have a renewed focus to create an amazing and engaging workplace.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Feb 4, 2021 - Technical Support in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Grateful to have worked at Startech.com

Aug 19, 2020 - Operations in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was recently laid off in the second round. When I was hired at Startech.com, the director at the time told me he didn't think the role would be around in 1-2 years. I never took the job for granted.It is a very dynamic environment. I am grateful for the time I spent Startech.com. I was probably under qualified for the job when I started and Startech.com gave me an opportunity few other employers would have. They paid for my education to become certified in my field and exponentially increased my knowledge and experience. I cannot sympathize with the negative comments about a lack loyalty to long term employees. The company had legitimately become bloated. Processes had remained stagnant for years. The ERP launch was in the long term best interest of the company and certainty has and will streamline processes and eliminate jobs in the long run. I do not expect to get rehired, which makes the temporary layoff illogical to me. If the company rebounds it did so without the additional workforce, so why hire it back? If it does not rebound then the company cannot afford to hire it back. The only scenario that I see is if the company rebounds and then returns to high growth and legitimately needs workers experienced with the system quickly and cannot retrain new employees. But by this time the best of the layed off workers will have probably found jobs else were, leaving only those who didn't really know how to use the new ERP system left for rehire. Capitalistic creative destruction is the "process of industrial mutation that continuously revolutionizes the economic structure from within, incessantly destroying the old one, incessantly creating a new one" ( Joseph Schumpeter). Don't hate Startech.com, because its operating in its own best interest, be grateful that it remained in the backwaters of London Ontario long enough to let you grow from the experience. I only knew one SLT member he was awesome! Now off to get me a public sector job :P

Cons

Some employees didn't know how good they had it.

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Sad to see the decline over the past two years

Jul 25, 2020 - Manager in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Maybe to gain experience before moving on to a company with more mature management.

Cons

It is difficult to see and experience the decline in the company over the past two years. They appear to be unwilling or unable to retain good employees, especially in management positions. If you are wondering about what the culture is like, the ‘spin’ responses on here from the HR department should give you a taste. The dysfunctional political environment makes it almost impossible to perform effective work, which helps to explain the dismal sales results (which started well before the Covid crisis), and in turn has led to two rounds of layoffs totaling about 25% of the workforce. There seems to be an absence of competent, ethical leadership at the top level. I doubt the new ‘President-elect’ could even lead water downhill. When times were good the executive team would take credit, but now the rank and file employees have to pay for their expensive mistakes, such as the millions of dollars wasted on the ERP project due to mismanagement. There is no loyalty to the ‘StarTech family’. One owner has left and the other one seems to really want to get out as soon as possible.

12 people found this review helpful

People & Culture

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We do our best to keep everyone informed around business decisions at StarTech.com. This includes weekly meetings, department meetings, leadership meetings, newsletters etc., but we recognize that some decisions are difficult to understand. Although not every decision may be popular, the rationale is guided by the desire to build an organization that is successful and sustainable for the benefit of all team members. We hope you reach out to management or People and Culture to share your concerns and give us the opportunity to provide additional insight.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 113 Reviews