Sephora Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.6
Chris de Lapuente

2,514 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have never had a career in which work/life balance is a priority to the company that I work for (in 110 reviews)

• Friendly ppl environment free products (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • The schedules are also released 3-4 days prior to the week it's for- so much for work-life balance (in 169 reviews)

• Little pay, no work-life balance (in 49 reviews)

1. "Cashwrap"

Current Employee - Cashier in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company, great people, great training!

Cons

Long hours, they can hire more people so that there's greater choice of working more or less hours

Advice to Management

Choose people who are more intelligent and less lazy

"High excprctaions for such low pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Sephora (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis is probably the only thing that will keep you wanting to work there

Cons

They pay you lower because gratis is supposed to compensate for that. They overwork you and bribe you with more training and gratis which you never get.
    They pick and chose who they want to grow within their company. Everyone else gets less gratis and training. Way too much favouritism.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away the only motivation your employees have (gratis) to make your sales.

"Some Messed up stuff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelowna, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelowna, BC

I have been working at Sephora full-time

Pros

Gratis
    Working with amazing people
    Decent Pay
    Laid back (at my location)

Cons

Schedule ( lack of work life balance)
    Mall hours
    Having to wait 7 days to buy newness
    Treating of employees

Advice to Management

My boss recently gave her notice and then next thing I know she is being walked out by our interim SD. She worked for them for 5 years and to be treated like that is crazy. It makes me rethink the companies values they stand behind. My advice is don't be so too faced.

"Cons outweigh Pros"

Former Employee - Fragrance Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Fragrance Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis, fantastic friendships with coworkers, fun products to sell, diversity and creative visual expression encouraged, exciting brand training if you can fight your way in, some managers are easy to talk to and create personal relationships with, building meaningful relationships with clients is encouraged, treats sometimes given by brands (including food, hair styling service, facials, costume accessories), physically safe work environment, adequate heating/air conditioning, working and clean lockers, kitchen and bathrooms

Cons

Sweat-trapping uniforms, micromanagement from under-qualified managers, no room for advancement within company, external hires instead of promoting internally, hours of time theft during "bag searches," taking initiative discouraged and unappreciated, company exploits feminism to operate in an anti-feminist manner, managers do not deal with sexual harassment claims, managers invade private social media accounts to fish for reasons to cut hours or ways to push employees out, company would rather spend money hiring new employees monthly rather than dealing with employee concerns and complaints, staff are underpaid with no potential for income growth, brand training opportunities are not strategic and unfairly distributed, 9-hour shifts on your feet and must keep moving at all times, held responsible for shoplifters and security practices, bonuses are decreased as a result of shoplifters and testers being overused by customers, employee availability not respected, bathroom or water breaks difficult to obtain

Advice to Management

I don't have time to help them right now. Perhaps somebody else has the time.

"Colour Consultant"

I worked at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis used to be amazing but as time went on - its better if you're a manager

Cons

guidelines that were not realistic and very fake towards clients and they do not do references no matter what position you worked for future endeavours

Advice to Management

Be reasonable and don't play favourites

"Beauty terminator world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I worked at Sephora full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trainings, access to multi-cosmetic brand products

Cons

Crazy stressful system to push people on stage to sales more and more and more every hour like a casino cash machine. Like it or hate it, you have to become exactly like one of them means clone yourself, if you want to survive or to get promote otherwise, you will get sick and resign from this beauty terminator world to a healthier one.

Advice to Management

they just recruit young baby people (<40 years old), they don't know how to deal with more experienced people.

8. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Fun work environment and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Some immature behaviour amongst sales staff.

Advice to Management

Better manage schedules

9. "Beauty Consultant"

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent team (they consider the harmony often)

-Excellent learning opportunities

-Great management (though they seemed often as though they were given too many duties)

-Great tools and product knowledge

-Opportunities to grow

-Communication is good

-No commission which is an excellent excellent decision. Everyone works together and though this may hinder pay, you're often compensated through other means

-Very pleasant environment for most part

-Generous gratis

-Great networking opportunities along with travel

-Low pressure, high encouragement

-Proper work schedules (so you didn't miss break/lunch etc)

Personally loved my instore managers, they were very knowledgeable and always tried to understand each cast mates strengths and weaknesses.

Cons

-Pay for some cast who had experience, was low

-"Zoning", remaining with one brand was it seemed, taking a tool on sales, fluency and cross-world opportunities

"Good for retail, bad for cosmetics"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kelowna, BC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kelowna, BC

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis - you get lots of free products to try, most of it is from the brands (and paid for it by the brand.), not Sephora, with new company policies they cut back on the gratis they give as a company a lot, and throw away almost new products where they would have given it to employees before.

Discount - 40% off Sephora collection brand, %20 off every thing else, this is on top of sale prices

Training - they have an amazing sales training program and ongoing training from brands. I will say as a company they put a lot into training their staff

Accepting work environment - they don't care about hair color, and most piercings or tattoos, and as a company they are very inclusive of all genders, orientations and races.

Cons

Extremely extremely up-tight.

Very over managed, and they have a tattle-tale log for most employees to write in (not all stores have this.) and you can be written up on hearsay or gossip. No tolerance for criticism or negative feedback. Management had double standards for favorites.

Not the case with everyone I worked with, but a lot of the girls I worked with could be very fake and two faced. Very cliquey.

Extremely high pressure to sell people products they genuinely don't need to meet sales goals, especially in skincare.

No commission and the pay doesn't advance quickly, if at all, the wage is good for retail, but terrible for cosmetics.

Often understaffed for cashier's, with extremely long lines.

You hear the same 10-20 songs for months on end.

THEY DONT GIVE REFERENCES, BUT REQUIRE THEM.

Advice to Management

The "coaching culture" often plays into cast members who are trying to be promoted looking for things to coach you on to be seen as coaching, and in a lot of locations is overdone to the point that just being around other cast members can put people on edge. I personally was written up on hearsay several times and was extremely disrespected by exempt who didn't care about my side of the story, or what I actually said or did.

this coupled with the fact that Sephora places such a high value on trying to keep people with them for the long run but with extremely low pay compared to competing retailers such as shoppers drug Mart or Mac made it unfeasible for me to consider building a career with the company. Not to mention it is in bad taste to refuse to give references but expect them to gain employment with the company.

"great company, horrible management"

Former Employee - Colour Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Colour Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the fellow cast members , training ,hours ,gratis

Cons

the pay ,the raises ,incompetent managers,

Advice to Management

you need to fire isabell

Showing 2,514 of 2,589 reviews