Cover image for Scribe Media

Found 68 of over 96 reviews

4.4
Scribe Media President and CEO JeVon (JT) McCormick
JeVon (JT) McCormick
Pros
  • "Several Tribe Members are successful (some are even ridiculously successful) by however you want to define the word(in 13 reviews)

• "You can Bring Your Whole Self to Work(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "We’re constantly experiencing growing pains(in 6 reviews)

• "Scribe is a young and growing company(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

What I always wanted in my career

Nov. 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I found Scribe, I suddenly found the career I had always wanted to pursue, but I didn't know existed or was possible. Scribe is a place where people come first no matter what, where we all work hard for an incredible goal, and where I genuinely enjoy coming to work each day. All of the people we work with internally and the authors we work with have incredible stories to share and I learn something new each day.

Cons

There really are no downsides for me about working at Scribe!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It would take a lot to get me to leave

Sep. 15, 2022 - Impact in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Scribe offers a lot of autonomy and there’s a lot of trust given to people to perform in their role. Like any company Scribe is experiencing growing pains as the company gets bigger and services are expanding, but no where else are you able to speak up and talk openly and honestly with leadership (including the CEO) about questions and concerns.

Cons

As the company gets bigger it’s more challenging to hold on to the good things about a startup.

3. Join the Scribe Media team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Treated Like an Adult and Really Thriving Here!!

Aug. 8, 2022 - Brand Content Specialist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Treated like an adult—flexible work hours, no babysitting, encouraged to do what you do best and get your work done (be transparent about any questions or needs!) + Fast-paced, uplifting environment + Really killer combination of independence and collaboration + They really, REALLY mean it when they say they put people first. Like, that is not something fancy they say just for advertising. This is not a drill. + I feel genuinely welcomed. Not introduced, not tolerated, but actually welcomed. I felt that way as a freelancer working with Scribe last year, and I feel this way now that I'm a full-time employee, too. + Awesome benefits (401k w/3% company match, excellent health, dental, and vision, a healthy amount of time off, maternity and paternity leave, etc.) + There's lots of room for professional growth and learning. Scribe is growing, and so far in my experience, it seems if you raise your hand, you get to be part of just about anything you think you can bring value to. + I've yet to meet someone I don't think is both brilliant and kind. For context, I was a freelancer who was brought on full-time. The entire transition process was transparent, engaging, and without sounding too gushy here: amazing. I felt supported every step of the way. I have friends who still don't think this company is real.

Cons

- I experienced this as a freelancer (even before working with Scribe) but it can be hard to turn work "off" when things move so fast, you want the team to succeed, and there aren't necessarily any set hours. That said, my direct support has (more than once!) reminded myself and others to turn our notifications off on weekends. We're all working together to figure out how to meet everyone's needs from all over the country/different time zones. It doesn't bother me, but I can see how this could be challenging for some who are used to more structure. - I really can't think of much to put here. It's a fast-paced, independent environment that's ultimately a really cohesive, unified team—like a beehive. That might not be the right fit for everyone, but it is perfect for me. I highly recommend this company for freelancers and for freelancers who are looking to transition into a full-time role without losing independence.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Egregious Behavior

Aug. 3, 2022 - QA Editor in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The vast majority of Scribe's people truly are wonderful; helpful and supportive if you know what to ask for.

Cons

No training, process not streamlined, fast/furious deadlines, deceptive feedback, unkind handling. I was a very happy freelancer for Scribe before I was an employee; I loved it so much that I applied for the first "tribe" job I possibly could. I had some reservations about my ability to do the job in question but was encouraged to apply. I did well on the test materials and was hired, despite my honest worries about being able to learn the new tasks. The manager reassured me that, should worse come to worst and I was not a good fit for the position, I could return to my freelancing position because they already knew I was excellent at what I did. I was assured (in a written email) that there would be "no bad endings here." Can you smell the foreshadowing? Anyway, I did struggle with the position. New hires are thrown directly into a live project with virtually no training. There is an open "ask me anything" policy that is comforting and real, but not terribly helpful if you don't know what to ask. The number and variety of tasks were overwhelming, confusing, and super challenging for me. I made the same mistakes that were made by all new hires, and was assured that no error could not be undone. At every monthly check-in, I was given the same feedback: it's OK to make mistakes, everyone does; don't panic--everything can be fixed; be confident in your decisions; you're getting better all the time. At every check-in, I asked the same thing: what can I do better and where am I weakest; every time I was told that I was on the right track and they saw no need for a re-direct or any extra support. And I really WAS getting better. Understanding the process and strengthening my juggling skills every day...which made the impending brutal ending that much more devastating. I was called into a zoom meeting that turned out to be a disciplinary session, as well as the most brutal and cruel thing I've ever experienced professionally or personally. I heard a litany of my faults and screwups, which were, in fairness, mostly valid. I agreed that I had made some pretty big errors in the beginning and although I was improving, I shared their concerns that this might not be a great fit for me overall. I was clearly emotional and contrite, but instead of being treated with kindness or compassion, I was shamed repeatedly. I was not offered a supportive solution: I was offered a zero-tolerance (for errors) probationary period, delivered in the most cruel and condescending way possible. I was told I had personally (Me! A brand new part-time employee!) damaged Scribe's reputation and caused authors to mistrust the entire company and its process. I was absolutely blindsided, because--despite verbally and emotionally agreeing with much of their assessment--I had been reassured many times that I was on the right track, and had no inkling that anything like this was afoot. When I suggested it would be better for everyone if I could return to my freelancing jobs, as promised, I was told no; that was no longer an option. Enduring the brutal cruelty of the manager was more demoralizing than anything else I can ever recall experiencing; but having that promise revoked was absolutely crushing. I should mention that there was a second person present on the call, who I believe was made uncomfortable by the unkindness on display, and who offered me compassion and assurance that I was still a valuable human despite being not-so-great at this particular job. I am so grateful for her presence. The main person involved is the type who preaches kindness to mask her own deep cruelty. We all know one of those. In summary, this departure was devastating and beyond traumatic--confirming my every worst fear about my own worth and adding a slew of new ones. I'm not sure I'll ever get over how I was treated. I was an honest, kind, supportive and grateful Scribe employee--not a criminal or a jerk or a liar: just someone trying her best. I hope no one else ever has to go through this (at least not without a very good therapist who can begin to undo some of the damage caused). *As an aside, but an important one: it's not at all OK for any non-Native corporation or person to be using the word "tribe" in 2022. Despite their otherwise inclusive and progressive culture, this is a cringe-worthy oversight that should be remedied ASAP.

13 people found this review helpful

Scribe Media Response

People and Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback, as we're always seeking to learn and improve. Especially given our #3 Value of Responsibility ("We Are In Charge of Our Reality"), we greatly appreciate you sharing in your review that you agree that you were struggling in your role, and because you agree, we were very surprised to also read in your review that you felt "absolutely blindsided". The main mission of the Quality Assurance Editor role is to ensure the product that our Authors and Clients pay us to execute on are done so with Excellence, our Value #4. Someone in the role for 5 months, as you were at the time of your final warning, is no longer a new hire and is expected to consistently execute with Excellence. We believe that clarity is kindness, and as a company that lives by our #1 Value of People, we provided your final warning conversation and documentation with as much transparency and clarity as possible. We understand and respect the decision you made to resign effective immediately during that conversation and we wish you much success as you embark on a new career.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic people

Jul. 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Scribe really does try to put people and clients first in a very authentic way. Best coworkers I’ve ever had, too! The work is challenging and fun.

Cons

Growing so fast- and there are some pains. The leadership is incredible in most ways, but the internal processes are still a work in progress. Lots of people are doing multiple jobs, so burnout is a big risk if you don’t hold your boundaries!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review system

May 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good pay time available work

Cons

Very bad audio quality Very bad review

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worth it

Apr. 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Scribe has one of the best work atmospheres i've ever encountered. The interview process is extensive, but I see this as a pro more than a con. Everyone is super friendly and they just want to ensure it's a good fit for both parties involved. Expect to be offered snacks galore.

Cons

It's freezing in here all the time, bring a jacket.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It has been so freeing joining the Scribe Tribe

Mar. 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I feel like I can truly be my full self at work and genuinely get to know people on a deeper level than just having work conversations - People care about you as a human and not just as an employee - Flexible work hours - Flexible work from home - Fun Slack channels that make me laugh - Truly puts people first - Everyone here is awesome and so friendly - Transparency within the company - I've built more relationships here in 6 months than I did in 5 years at my previous company - I've also received more feedback (both good and bad) here in 6 months than I did in my 5 years at my previous company. I highly respect and appreciate this. - Growth opportunities to work on projects or in roles that are brand new and built from scratch

Cons

- Can be hard to shut off and shut down when they are no set hours - Took a big pay cut to join the Tribe but it's been worth it in ways other than monetarily

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Company Culture Doesn't Deliver - Profit > People

Jul. 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The majority of their employees are genuinely kind and intelligent -100% paid healthcare options -They are putting a lot of work into improving and nurturing diversity

Cons

-Salaries are on the very low end, which is disappointing considering Scribe is a profitable company and the cost of living in Austin is exponentially increasing by the day. They are also slow and stubborn to award raises. Expect long delays, carrot dangling, and unrealistic paths with moving goalposts. -Micromanagement (some roles don't seem to experience this, though), rapidly shifting priorities and expectations, poor organization and execution. -One member of the executive team is infamous for disrespecting and talking down to the employees. Management seemed too fearful to confront this person's behavior. -There was one firing every two months during my time there, which is a lot for such a small company (roughly 7-8% of the full-time staff by my calculations). These dismissals provoked a degree of fear and insecurity internally. -They claimed to be remote-friendly, but there was always pressure to work from the office (most opted to go mask-less), even during the height of the pandemic. This resulted in a Covid outbreak or two. -Susceptibility to burnout due to start-up mentality, high volume of clients, and high internal revenue growth expectations. -There was a lot of emphasis on the "profit share" benefit during my interview process. When I joined, I found out the quarterly profit share had only been paid out only once. It was paid out again once more during my time there (a small sum). After a record-breaking profitable quarter, the CEO announced that they would be restructuring the profit share to a "performance-based bonus," which was to be paid out only once per year going forward, We never saw any money from that record-breaking quarter and the new bonus structure was weak, to say the least. -Long story short, the experience of working at Scribe did not align with the respectful, trusting, people-first culture I was told to expect when I signed on.

39 people found this review helpful
    11. 5.0
      Current Employee

Lived Up To The Hype! Wouldn't Want To Be Anywhere Else

Jul. 22, 2021 - Business Development Coordinator in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Where do I start? Scribe's number one value is people and it shows. My entire interview process was straightforward and I felt informed every step of the way. The onboarding process was delightful and I was able to start adding value to the company during the first week (which was very exciting for me). My direct supports took time out of their busy schedules to ask me what I needed to feel secure and supported at work, and I could tell they took everything I said to heart. There is no micromanagement and there is a belief that you are able to handle your tasks. I highly highly recommend accepting your offer - I can't remember the last time I was truly excited to go to work.

Cons

None that I can think of. The Tribe has been incredibly welcoming and has lived up to everything promised in the Culture Bible

1 person found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 Reviews
    </>Embed

Scribe Media Reviews FAQs

Scribe Media has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 96 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Scribe Media to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Scribe Media employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Scribe Media. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

87% of Scribe Media employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Scribe Media 4.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.7 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Scribe Media Job Seekers