STEMCELL Technologies Reviews

Updated May 29, 2020

STEMCELL Technologies Chief Executive Officer and President  Allen C. Eaves
Allen C. Eaves
Pros
Cons
  • "relatively low salary for the cost of living in Vancouver(in 7 reviews)

• "low salary (even compared to other co-ops and for full time staff)(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome HR recruitement team"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time

Pros

Great HR recruiters open the door to bring in good talent and idea. They play a critical role in a company's growth and development. STEMCELL has such a great HR recruitement team, and I luckily met one of them -- Sarah Mansour. She is generous, thoughtful and has a great insight for matching talent into the right position. I applied several times for the RA position with STEMCELL. She remembered my expertise, always kept an eye out for a good match to my experiences. With her encouragement, I finally landed in the right position with a fantastic team! Thank you Sarah!

Cons

I have not found any yet!

STEMCELL Technologies2020-02-19
  2. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at STEMCELL Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Outstanding training program for new grads with little sales experience Growing company with a good amount of potential growth (depending on education and results) Very good corporate culture that recognizes employee contributions

Cons

Relative to cost of living in Vancouver, pay is on the low side Career growth can be down to luck (Growing territory vs stagnant)

STEMCELL Technologies2020-04-26
  3. "Company Values Showcased in Challenging Times"

Current Employee - Research & Development

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great company to be with if you're value-oriented. The CEO is a genuinely great person, and you can tell majority of people here care about their work and each other. Lots of experts in the company, and the team is very collaborative, which allows for growth and learning. One of the first companies to react very quickly to the pandemic and allow staff to work remotely. They took very aggressive measures early on to protect employees, which is much appreciated. Communication is frequent and there's a good level of transparency during this tough time. The changes have not been easy to navigate but a sense of community is clear in the team as everyone is supportive of each other. Employees are being trained with a very well-made training module & safety guidelines, making us feel safe enough coming back to the lab. While things change very rapidly here, the recent changes have been much more on the positive side.

Cons

As many mentioned, pay is on the lower side. Work volume can increase very quickly as with all high growth company. Managers should really walk the walk of "work-life balance" instead of just talking about it. Expectations can be really high which is both a good and bad thing. Also more visibility to the "why" of certain decisions, and make more of an effort in each team to recognize hard work, especially for junior staff. Everyone here wants to do a great job but sometimes hierarchy and bureaucratic processes can get in the way.

STEMCELL Technologies2020-05-30
  4. "Stemcell Technologies"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at STEMCELL Technologies full-time

Pros

one of the top biotech companies in Canada

Cons

relatively low pay to the market

STEMCELL Technologies2020-05-12
  5. "Proactive and thought out"

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time

Pros

Completed a remote orientation successfully for new hires with in depth information and no obvious disruption.

Cons

Nothing I've noted so far

STEMCELL Technologies2020-03-18

"Opportunities for self starters"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good company culture with fun social events Lots of learning opportunities I wanted to write this review in response to another review that claims the company discriminates against pregnant woman. I have not seen this personally and was fully supported by my manager. I have seen many colleagues (>30) who have gone on leave (both men and women) over the course of the last 10 years and did not see anything questionable. I have also see promotions of women who are pregnant but not yet left for their leave.

Cons

Pay is low or some unqualified people will be paid the same as those who are competent Senior exec makes what appears to be flippant changes in priorities creating uncertainty and stress for staff Tendency to rush into things

STEMCELL Technologies2020-02-28
  7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at STEMCELL Technologies full-time

Pros

Good culture. Very professional

Cons

Difficult career progression without Science degree

STEMCELL Technologies2020-01-22

"Company culture is good but still needs to be communicate properly to the teams."

1.0

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies

Pros

Good purpose, reason of the company and vision . The owner is an incredible person

Cons

All depend on the people you work with and the department you work for more than the company culture. Management or senior with low experience and without interpersonal skills can’t lead a department. Ask first who you are going to report to and research the background and why the people have left , etc , this could avoid you to be on a undesirable , unhealthy environment Good culture is not everywhere for example there are teams that do not have work life balance because of the nature of the job so be aware of this. Ask what Fast paced environment means. Fasted paced could have different meanings. If 5 minutes count in a daily base work for 8 hours you could be living in a continuous stress. Fast paced is good but all depend on what kind of fast paced your position is ... in my job position fast paced means that you won’t achieve the “work-life” balance offered ever.

STEMCELL Technologies2020-02-20
  9. "Working at Stemcell as a research associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay but can be very difficult.

Cons

Expectations are very high always.

STEMCELL Technologies2019-12-23

"Mismanaged company with lots of miserable staff"

2.0
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at STEMCELL Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given training opportunities Work with lots of excellent, driven people There are processes in place for most business functions

Cons

Have to play a lot of political mind games which is part of the cultural norm People bursting into tears during meetings is completely normal They have created a toxic, overly competitive environment

STEMCELL Technologies2020-01-05