SSM Health Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.5
SSM Health President and CEO Laura Kaiser
Laura Kaiser
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management sometimes cuts corners in short-sighted ways(in 23 reviews)

• "High turnover and not sure of the future of this business(in 18 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn

I have been working at SSM Health part-time

Pros

Good experience and good pay

Cons

Corporate feel and don't work with schedule

SSM Health2020-01-11
  2. ""Through our exceptional health care services, we reveal the healing presence of GOD.""

Former Employee - Paramedic in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SSM Health full-time

Pros

There is no such thing as having equal amounts of pros and cons in the medical field, but as in all aspects of life, the good most definitely outweighs the bad. From the Paramedics to the Emergency Room Staff, from the Physicians to the RN's, the Custodians to the Kitchen Staff, to the Respiratory Therapists and X-ray Techs, the camaraderie is real and matched by no other group of people/family I know.

Cons

While a career in the medical field can be meaningful, there's no shortage of cons to go along with the pros. Prepare and be aware of the relationships you will build with your ailing patients....especially the terminal ones. The seemingly gracious family of the child fighting leukaemia will turn to dispair and their uncontrollable anger will be focused on you now since you were, however, supposed to make everything good again.

Advice to Management

For the most part, I had a good experience with management. All I can say is, hold monthly staff meetings. In these meetings, go over the issues most notably causing the biggest problem and try to involve everyone whenever possible while resolving the issue. Always give praise to everyone!! Even if it's just an "at-a-boy" to the one person who is just not catching on in a few places. Then work with that person one on one. Never focus accommodations on the same few people. Everyone deserves accommodation. It's up to you to find that person/s strong suit and acknowledge them. Assisting those in areas that need improvement.

SSM Health2020-01-09
  3. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers can be very loyal. (Old) tradition of quality of care continues.

Cons

Staff is continually being squeezed from benefits and voice.

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff and not your stock. Retention will rise and quality of care will return as the sisters would have wanted it.

SSM Health2020-01-20

"Good company with growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of internal growth opportunities. Very good environment with nice people.

Cons

Some executive leadership changes have shaken things up a bit. This has caused some frustration at the lower staff levels. This will probably flush itself out though.

Advice to Management

Gauge change tolerance on each area before making radical changes. Also, spend more time on communication planning.

SSM Health2019-12-31
  5. "Senior Sales Exacutive"

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Hyderābād

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Environment, Can Learn More as We are at Start Up from your side but well developed from inside.

Cons

Flexible it is Pro for some Executive and Cons for Some.

SSM Health2019-12-31
  6. "good place to work as a nurse"

Current Employee - Charge RN

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay and bonuses opportunities for advancement

Cons

nurse to patient ratio isn't always the best

SSM Health2019-12-18
  7. "Incomparable, Spiritual, Amazing"

Current Employee - Admissions Department Supervisor in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Prayer, Teamwork, spirit of God throughout, benefits

Cons

Commute and travel and caps for pay

Advice to Management

Great job

SSM Health2019-12-03
  8. "Overall excellent"

Current Employee - APRN

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health insurances, earned time off, mission.

Cons

Communication about what to expect with changes.

SSM Health2019-12-01
  9. "SSM SLUH"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Union Hospital** You have a voice for yourself & your patients & no fear of retaliation for speaking out. Typically, better benefits for the area. Complicated patient care, always learning something new. Teaching hospital, see above. You get to have a hand in helping new doctors learn and grow as caregivers. In turn, the more senior residents & fellows & attendings (and interns too) are usually eager to teach you too and answer your questions. As such, I have very rarely experienced a physician being verbally abusive/aggressive towards me or rude like that. The couple of times that happened, it was handled swiftly, professionally, and we all learned from it. Great team environment, at least on my unit. Our travelers always state the same, that SLUH is a good hospital to work at. No "nurses eat their young" -- you can ask questions without feeling dumb. Someone will always help you if you're drowning. One of the best nurse graduate residency programs in the area, IMO.

Cons

Currently management seems focused on busting the nurses' union instead of improving patient outcomes. Micromanagement of nurses' care (not unique to SLUH), constantly auditing charts and scrutinizing stupid things vs asking staff what they need in order to provide the best possible care. Old building, small rooms -- but new hospital is nearly finished.

Advice to Management

Involve the staff in decision making. Stop micromanaging them. Give us the tools to do our jobs and we will rise to the occasion. Leave the nurses collective bargaining unit alone and work with us, not against us. Stop wasting huge sums of money to this end that could've been spent on staffing & other measures well known to improve patient outcomes & mortality rates.

SSM Health2019-12-12
  10. "The healing presence of God"

Current Employee - Patient Account Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at SSM Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Hospital beliefs are religious based

Cons

Do to a benefit change, people who started November 4, will not be able to get benefits until 01/01/2020. That's a long time if someone quits another job to start one at St.Mary's.

SSM Health2019-11-16