Propeller Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Propeller Reviews

Updated 21 Oct 2019

4.9
Propeller CEO Jeff Foley & Amy Weeden (no image)
Jeff Foley & Amy Weeden
Pros
  • "Work life balance is something that is actually possible at this firm(in 11 reviews)

• "The Leadership team is transparent about the firm's focus on growth and encourages consultants to participate in that endeavor(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing FAST, and that start-up feel where everyone knew everyone is changing(in 3 reviews)

• "I have no cons to call out at this point(in 3 reviews)

"Refreshing Transparency and Atmosphere"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for less than a year

Pros

Propeller does a really good job of hiring for culture. The people I get to engage with are all incredibly smart, fun to be around, and unlike any other group I've worked with at larger companies. The company is also super transparent. They try and shed light on how the company is performing financially and how they're doing with growth against their goals. It's really refreshing and I think they'd be transparent... with you about any questions you have.

Cons

Some project have multiple Propeller consultants, and others only have 1-2. It's always more fun being on engagements with multiple consultants from the firm, and those seem to be coming frequently, but they do a good job of ensuring there's lots of events to get people together.

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus on people as we grow and Propeller will continue to be succesful culuturally and within the market.

Propeller2019-10-21

"SF Office mismanaged"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Propeller full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small company with a decent amount of flexibility

Cons

Poor management, lack of leadership in the CA office. Not creative. Bringing in more of the same.

Advice to Management

Be different, like the company claims to be, rather than just another consulting company.

Propeller2019-10-15

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with the company for a year. I've been so impressed with the effort to match you with rewarding work (where possible), excellent performance management, and the amount of fun we have together. Propeller hires brilliant people with emotional intelligence, so they're awesome to be around. The firm is growing and the culture remains strong. I'm thankful to be part of this team.

Cons

Internal initiatives are fun and engaging, but at times can be difficult to balance with client work.

Propeller2019-07-15

"Fantastic company to work for with amazing people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Propeller full-time for less than a year

Pros

Propeller is an incredible company to work at, staffed with fantastic people. Propellerites are some of the nicest people I've ever interacted with, and it seemed easy and natural to quickly become friends with my coworkers. Beyond that, everyone is smart, driven, and top of their game, and it makes me want to be better at my job in a very positive way. Work-life balance is built into the firm, and work is actually... fun! I would recommend the company to anyone looking for a place to work where people work hard, want to be successful, have fun, and also have a life outside work.

Cons

People are social- if you are someone who like to come to work and go home and not be involved with the community of work, it may not be the place for you.

Propeller2019-05-30

"Believe the Hype"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people. As Propeller states, our people are our product. This is why the curate employees that compliment the culture, while also ensuring the culture is dynamic and responsive to the needs of employees and our communities. - Technology transformations. The firm is on the forefront of industry trends and technology. Innovation is constant at Propeller, which will stretch and strengthen your skill set. -... Opportunities for growth. If you want them, take them! Propeller continues to grow and expand into other markets, thus yielding ample leadership opportunities.

Cons

While not a con for me, it may be for some. Change is constant. Be able to adapt. Expect to change clients and projects - potentially every six months - while also embracing fast-pace growth and change within Propeller.

Advice to Management

Keep going! You're amazing.

Propeller2019-03-28

"Awesome place to grow"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Company invests tremendously in its employees (from hiring to career development, including leadership opportunities) - Intelligent, genuine, supportive and diverse colleagues to work alongside - Competitive compensation - Best company culture I have experienced - a pleasure to come to work every day

Cons

- Consultants are usually located on client site day-to-day and may not have as much exposure to fellow consultants, apart from monthly team meetings or social events. This is a minor note, and is reflective of the very high utilization rate of Propeller. You will not be on the bench for long.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in its people and culture as we scale and grow.

Propeller2019-02-28

"Unique Culture and Great Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Propeller full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the most sincere people I've worked with in my professional career. Propeller is really intentional about the employee experience. Growing firm with lots of opportunity to "plug-in"

Cons

Opportunity for consistent strategy focused work

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the employee experience and diversifying the client portfolio - excited to see what's next for Propeller

Propeller2019-02-21

"Growing Firm, Great Culture and Fantastic Coworkers"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Propeller is very much like a "choose your own adventure" game. There's plenty of opportunity to stretch into new types of work and industries, participate in internal initiatives, and help grow the business in immediate and tangible ways. What I love most about Propeller though are the people. Propeller consultants come from a variety of professional backgrounds, but they all share a similar commitment to doing... good work and supporting one another -- in addition to just being really interesting, engaging and funny people! The Leadership team is transparent about the firm's focus on growth and encourages consultants to participate in that endeavor. However, it isn't just growth for growth's sake - Propeller recently shifted to an ESOP model so every employee now has the opportunity to benefit directly from the firm's collective success over the longterm.

Cons

These aren't really cons exactly - more caveats. In many ways, Propeller is building the plane as we fly it. We have a pretty lean administrative infrastructure and are working to build out many of the supports you would find at larger firms. However, if you're comfortable with that and go in with eyes wide open, this is actually an opportunity to help build those things - which could be a pro for the right... person. Each consultant has a utilization target and is responsible for working with their PM to meet that target each year. As long as you're on track, you can take additional time off or bank the hours toward a larger bonus. This model does not work for everyone, especially if you're used to accruing PTO over time and getting increased vacation time with tenure.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent about the firm's strategy and performance, investing in internal tools and processes to support our growth, and providing opportunities for consultants to participate in the firm's expansion (both in capabilities and geographies).

Propeller2019-02-20

"Great consulting firm"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great firm to work for. They have an awesome culture with really smart people and some interesting projects. The consultants you work with are very smart, driven but don't have the arrogance of what you see at some of the other top tier firms. Work life balance is something that is actually possible at this firm. But if you like working longer hours, the bonus structure affords you more pay. They... are also growing at a fast pace so that could potentially mean more opportunity. For anyone considering the firm, I urge you to apply. Getting through the interview process is not easy, but it was worth it. The interview process is long (4 rounds that took about a month in my case).

Cons

If possible, could the 401k be upgraded. What we have is decent but could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and transparency. I particularly love and appreciate how supportive you are of helping consultants with their career goals.

Propeller2019-01-23

"Amazing People, Great Culture, Excellent Business Practices"

I have been working at Propeller full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, talented leaders, excellent onboarding & training opportunities, great benefits, growth encouraged

Cons

I have nothing to share yet.

Propeller2019-01-22