OOHLALA Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated May 6, 2018

3.6
OOHLALA Mobile CEO and Co-Founder Danial Jameel
Danial Jameel

"Learned more in my 4 months at Oohlala than my first 3 years of University!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Montreal, QC

I have been working at OOHLALA Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm just finishing up my last few weeks of an amazing summer internship at Oohlala. Not once have they ever made me feel like an intern, they really make me feel like a big part of the team. I hope to be back after I graduate! Here are just some of the reasons this has been the internship of a lifetime: -The sales team at Oohlala is incredibly talented and generous. I've learned so much from observing them and asking them a million questions every day. -The entire team is also very warm, friendly and generous. I've been able to learn a lot about all aspects of the business, and never feel afraid to ask questions. -The Oohlala platform itself is relevant, helpful, and necessary. It doesn't feel like selling when you know that what you're offering can actually impact students lives -The opportunity to work in this industry is amazing, and something I didn't realize when I started. Getting the chance to speak with VP's, Directors, Deans, and C(I/F/O)O's of some of the best higher ed institutions across North America has taught me an insane amount and has given me a new appreciation for Higher Ed. The people in this space are incredibly genuine, and all want the same thing - to improve student outcomes. -There is a profound emphasis on learning at Oohlala. Awesome guest speakers, 1-on-1 sessions, group reflection, helping each other out and hands-on experiences are just some of the ways that they help us learn and grow as a team. -The company culture at Oohlala is second to none. Every single employee here is amazing at what they do, and are also generally just really fun and nice people! -Foosball, lots of foosball!! -Lots and lots and lots of free coffee

Cons

Nothing really I could say that's negative about my experience. My one warning to those applying is that It is a startup and everything moves very fast. Enjoy the ride!

Advice to Management

Keep killing it!!!

OOHLALA Mobile2017-08-09

"Great work environment in a rewarding, fast-paced and high growth potential startup"

I have been working at OOHLALA Mobile part-time

Pros

-little "corporate hierarchy" and strong collaboration/communication between coworkers and departments -senior management cares about employee happiness and make smart, effective hires as the company grows -able to learn a lot about the education technology industry -able to be a part of a fast-growing start up and help shape the company's growth, no matter what role you're in -down-to-earth people, fun team events and amenities -ridiculously awesome location... across the street from a metro station

Cons

-things are occasionally lost in communication during hectic times of year -understaffed for company's growth and ambition (but seems to be hiring aggressively) -sometimes feels like a lack of structure in sales, must be extremely self motivated (can be good or bad thing)

Advice to Management

-continue listening to staff and hiring good people who will contribute in multiple ways -prioritize team morale as company grows, include and consider opinions from across the board -provide more transparency in company operations/direction for those interested

OOHLALA Mobile2017-08-07

"Great Team & Great Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at OOHLALA Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is fantastic, there are plenty of opportunities to grow as an individual and take initiatives. It's a mostly flat organization, upper management is realistic and understanding.

Cons

Not recommended for individuals that aren't able to adapt as this is a growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work, thanks to you I finally have a job that I love

OOHLALA Mobile2017-07-25

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Montreal, QC

I have been working at OOHLALA Mobile full-time

Pros

- Awesome team! The smartest, hard-working colleagues I've ever had. - They have an impactful vision and great product. It really makes you feel like you're contributing to something important. -It's a startup environment, so you have the potential to make an impact on the company. They truly value your ideas and opinions. -The company culture is strong. There are many team events. However, the best thing OOHLALA does is bring in accomplished professionals to give us team talks. Last week, the founder of SecondCup came to share his story with us. -If you perform, there is plenty of opportunity to move up.

Cons

- It's a fast growing company. So, like most startups, there isn't as much structure as you'd typically see in a large corporation.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

OOHLALA Mobile2017-07-22

"JOKE: An Engagement Service Company Couldn't Engage Their Own Employees"

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

You could probably make some friends while you are there cuz everybody is experiencing the same BS. The team is young.

Cons

Low pay, way below than what you deserve on the market. No growth, basically repeating the same kind of tasks every day, no vision, no plan, always do things based on someone's guts feeling... No benefit, it's a real legitimate family business, they don't invest anything in their employee, not even basic health insurance. Ridiculously poor management. It is more like there is no proper management at all.

Advice to Management

Please stop faking all the high ratings here, face the fact that you need to improve yourselves, not to hide the truth. This is very pathetic. Like everybody says here, you need to LISTEN to your staff. Apparently, not everybody can be Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg, the founders should go back to school, at least finish your degrees and learn how to manage the business and staff first.

OOHLALA Mobile2017-08-05

"Lots of potential to be a great work environment but is not"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are amazing. They are friendly, hardworking and intelligent. The company tries their best to host events/team building opportunities. Training was thorough and sales commission structure was good but low base salary (so it balances out only if you are performing well).

Cons

1. Disconnect between vision and actual product/ company operations. They talk and motivate their employees by preaching the impact their product will have on the lives and success of students and student affairs, but there is such a huge emphasis on selling and upselling that real impact is not made. This makes it hard and demotivating to sell or support the product. 2. There is a severe lack of transparency and lack of communications between teams. There is also an illusion that everyones opinions are valid and will be heard but nothing is acted upon. 3. There is high turnover and employees are not properly invested in. Wine & cheeses are great, but offering substantial benefits and compensation for all employees will motivate people to stay long term.

Advice to Management

Invest properly in your employees and go beyond superficial benefits. Truly listen to your employees, you are surrounded by intelligent people with different valuable perspectives at all levels so actually take them into consideration!

OOHLALA Mobile2017-07-07

"Meh...."

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Montreal, QC

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young fun team. People are smart and they order food for you from time to time. It's still not a major pro but I have to write something

Cons

Pay no benefits, way too many investors and it's true. It's all about the "up sales". Too many bosses and they don't have time to listen to your ideas.

Advice to Management

You're not as smart as you think you are.

OOHLALA Mobile2017-06-23

"Sad but true"

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile

Pros

There are a few good people, but that's about it. I had to write 20 words for this to post, so here you go.

Cons

Product is not good. Bad leadership. No communication. Low pay. I could go on but I feel as though the points above sum it up.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is going on around you!

OOHLALA Mobile2017-07-04

"Good for experience but nothing more"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile

Pros

The team was amazing. Lots of passionate people who will most likely turn into good friends. If you want experience working at an education-based start-up, then this is a good place to get your feet wet for a year or two, if you can last that long.

Cons

While it is a good place to get some experience, overall I had an extremely negative experience working here. I found the management to be manipulative, insincere, and untrustworthy. There were essentially two levels of employees: sales and CEOs, and the rest. As I was not in sales (or a CEO) I always felt like I was only being told half-truths and the actual information (and attention, in general) was reserved for those "higher up". I had negative working experiences with the barely-there management and learned to keep my ideas to myself, as they were met with resistance and criticism.

Advice to Management

Practice empathy and sincerity if you want the team bonding experiences you seek out.

OOHLALA Mobile2017-06-07
  10. "Sales intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at OOHLALA Mobile

Pros

It is a great work environment, very much like a silicon valley style startup

Cons

Was payed less than minimum wage to do the exact same job as people getting paid 14$/hour

Advice to Management

hire less interns and pay them more money

OOHLALA Mobile2017-02-22