Netflix Reviews

4.0
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
Pros
Cons
  • "Your job is always on the line, you can be let go at any point and people work in fear to the point that they expect to be(in 55 reviews)

• "Everyone got laid off when they outsourced and shut down the call center(in 42 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Current Employee - Costume Coordinator

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

No pros other than long hours

Cons

Pay well, good benefits and nice people

Netflix2019-12-01

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck - So many good people - Such a great service - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix. I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human". Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little). Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days. But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound? Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation? Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life. The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place. I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point. Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right. What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem. I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations. I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside. Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service. As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past? As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?" What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you. Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for. - Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company? - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized? - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life? - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"? - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Netflix2018-09-20
  3. "good company"

5.0

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

interesting perks of every day life

Cons

none what so ever at all

Netflix2020-05-26
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great place to work, smart people, leading the industry

Cons

You gotta love what you do

Netflix2020-05-19
  5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

great people, great tooling, perks and benefits

Cons

really weren't any, this was a great place to be. I miss it.

Netflix2020-05-15
  6. "it was great ."

4.0
    Former Employee - Reviewer in Faisalābād, Punjab

I worked at Netflix part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can watch free series

Cons

You need to work hard

Netflix2020-05-16
  7. "Studio is where it's at"

Former Employee - Director Product in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

higher pay than almost anywhere

Cons

too many to list here

Netflix2020-05-27

"Best Place I Have Worked At"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super supportive, inclusive, organized, systematic, and creative team. Culture and Values are off the charts, at least in my part of the org.

Cons

There is a lot of reading all the time. Don't join if you're not an avid consumer of information. It's table stakes for working here.

Netflix2020-05-08
  9. "Excellent place to work with some of the most incredibly impressive talent I've ever worked with"

Current Employee - Technical Operations Manager in Amsterdam

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is definitely real. Competitive pay, best teammates in the business

Cons

small pockets of people who are not culture fits, but they usually do no last

Netflix2020-05-10

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Mumbai

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture is unbelievably cool, and true to what gets spoken about.

Cons

Working alongside Type A personalities makes you doubt your self worth.

Netflix2020-05-06