NaviNet Reviews

Found 94 of over 101 reviews

4.2
NaviNet President and CEO Frank Ingari
Frank Ingari
Pros
  • "Pizza Friday every fortnight, or catering any time there's a Town Hall Meeting is enjoyed by everyone(in 11 reviews)

• "Lots of perks like free pizza and beer Fridays(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Too much time spent on legacy code(in 6 reviews)

• "Middle management seem to fill their mornings by micromanaging(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good engineering department. Lots to learn.

Nov 26, 2013 -  in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Navinet for a little over 5 years. In retrospect, the time spent there has had a positive effect on my career and my approach to work. I learned from talented engineers on the teams I worked in. I was able to move across teams from development to architecture in the time I was there. Also got an opportunity to work closely with the perf team and interact regularly with the IT team. The company (or at least my group) cared more about getting stuff done than how many hours I spent at my desk. I felt the tech managers who I worked with cared about my well being as an employee, besides worrying about the bottom line and well being of the company. Sure there was legacy code and customers who do not want changes, but that was part of the challenge at work. Management itself was not averse to change and moving forward. Successful software technology companies often have to with legacy code. In retrospect I learned more working with the legacy stuff, especially the performance aspect, than pushing code out as part of a feature team. Navinet provided me an opportunity to work on problems of scale. At the same time, they had a small-midsize-company-like approach to engineering. Wishing the best of luck to my friends at Navinet!

Cons

There were some negatives while I worked there, mentioned in older reviews. From the newer reviews and talking to my ex-colleagues, seems like these issues have mostly been sorted out under the new CTO.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Mover and Shaker in the Healthcare IT Industry!

Apr 18, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture and atmosphere at NaviNet is truly unique; from pizza & beer Fridays, to the casual dress and Town Hall monthly meetings with EVERYONE in the office. However, NaviNet reaches beyond this to truly embrace an inclusive community. Different departments are encouraged to collaborate; both informally, and formally through the NaviNet sponsored Off the Grid competition every year. The office is an open format and you can feel a positive buzz as people communicate in groups and work toward their projects. Coming from a large top-tier corporate law firm, this organization has the right mix of focus, energy, collaboration, encouragement, and positive dynamics.

Cons

According to NaviNet's history, we are still overcoming some "old culture" mentality and embracing the new direction that is coming from top management. Therefore, many reviews from years past do not accurately reflect the current state of the organization. This is an active environment; it is extremely dynamic and ever-changing as it grows to be an industry leader. This can naturally produce pressure and fatigue over the long stretch. However, I do think that NaviNet leaders try to address this with other incentive programs.

2 people found this review helpful

NaviNet Response

Talent Acquisition & Retention Specialist

Thanks for addressing some of the past, less positive remarks on our culture. I appreciate the acknowledgment of our efforts to improve the health of our culture by engaging and appreciating our employees. Onwards and upwards!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting Company Vision and Great Work/Life Balance

Oct 16, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

With the arrival of Frank Ingari as CEO and a new company direction focused on delivering the first productized version of Navinet, NaviNet is a very different company that it was a year ago. Our leadership team is motivating and approachable, and provides visibility into company strategy and goals. The work culture is more exciting- departments have a shared target of working towards delivering the best product we can in 2014, rather than the more silo'ed structure of the past. I feel more of a team atmosphere, that continues to spread as roles of departments and individuals shift focus to our new product. As long as I've been at NaviNet, we've had a great benefit structure, and flexible work environment. It's definitely been a busy year, but the work environment makes this manageable, with the ability to work remotely and managers being accepting of flexible hours. As an expecting mother, I'm especially appreciative of our newly enhanced maternity benefit (8 weeks fully paid!!!) which also provides for paid time for paternity and adoption leave. All in all, I'm very happy with the direction that Navinet is going and enjoying day to day life there.

Cons

Still a transitional time- some areas are struggling with where they fit in in the "new" NaviNet.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great working environment and great coworkers

Dec 31, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a long-time employee at NaviNet, I have to say that I am still growing and learning after several years on the job. Everyone here works well as a team and people who come in with big egos and try to throw their weight around don't last long. Although there are a lot of smart people here, they all respect other peoples' opinions and input. The current management is honest and open and communicates with everyone in the company on a regular basis. While people work hard and deadlines are frequent, the atmosphere is relaxed and there are plenty of formal and informal social events.

Cons

NaviNet has done quite a bit of hiring in recent years and has taken on a large number of new projects. This means that there are not a lot of established processes and it often feels like we are making things up as we go. To work at NaviNet, you have to be able to deal with a little bit of chaos!

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent culture, really smart people, a great CEO, a learning and challenging environment

Apr 10, 2014 - Product Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most roles are flexible, the leadership gives you autonomy, there are many opportunities available. There is a lot to learn, many challenges to be had, and we are always improving. The vision / mission of the company is sound and people seem to care. I like feeling like I can go out for a beer with most people I work with Pizza and Beer Fridays, Lunches, Sporting activities, and great work functions I've had training every year I've worked at the company to help myself grow I've had a lot of opportunities to try new things and learn where my strengths are

Cons

Being operationally efficient is something that NaviNet still has a lot to improve on. We are transitioning I think very effectively from a Professional Services company only to a Product Company and Professional Services company. We still have a lot of people that are project focused, (i.e., there is a short term project with an end date...) without the mindset to be operationally focused for the long term. (i.e., this thing is going to live on for a long time and we have to support its success. There are some folks that are learning how to operate differently and others that will probably need to find something else to do for us to succeed.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Company is good for growth

May 31, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team and motivated managers

Cons

More compitive in nature.n very hectic schdle

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Exceptional Working Conditions for Software Engineers

May 27, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is hard to find a working environment in Northern Ireland that is better than NaviNet. Engineers are treated exceptionally well. Teams are well thought out and are well structured (dedicated QA in teams is a stroke of genius). The lean/kanban development approach works well with the products that they build. Senior Management have a good grasp of the technical challenges faced and allow engineers time to build what's right. No blame culture and seldom date-driven. Dedicated DevOps team is a bonus. Pizza Friday every fortnight, or catering any time there's a Town Hall Meeting is enjoyed by everyone. At times of celebration, after new release or as a kind gesture, senior management allow staff to leave early on a Friday.

Cons

The work is not the most challenging. NaviNet in Belfast has an intense recruitment process which results in very talented engineers being employed to do mediocre work. The laid back management approach can be a turn off for some, as boredom sets in quickly and there's only so much table tennis you can play. Some teams and peer groups are cliquey and there's a perception that internal promotions are based on who their drinking buddies are.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, inspiring leadership, some growing pains

Feb 9, 2015 - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership is very energized about what the future holds and I think they do a good job of rallying the troops. There are monthly company-wide meetings where the execs and other leaders talk about what's being achieved, which helps each part of the organization stay connected and aware of how we're all contributing to the bigger picture. The message makes you feel like you're "in it together." Leaders are very human- they value work/life balance and are accessible and approachable. There's a lot of work- it's a lean organization so everyone carries a heavy load. If you're good at balancing and prioritizing and want to see your work's impact fast- this is a great and very fulfilling place to be. You're almost never the smartest person in the room which means there's constant opportunity to learn and grow (growth isn't always in the form of title.)

Cons

There's a lot of change happening- some of it's fast, some of it's slow. You have to be versatile and willing to put the team first to make it work and not everyone is committed to this. Leaders are really good at lifting up their own organizations but they could improve going to bat for their colleagues' teams.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Director

Apr 11, 2014 - Director, Navinet in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working within incredibly bright highly motivated colleagues on the future of healthcare collaboration that lowers costs and improves patient outcomes. Quality, innovation, and continuous improvement are part of the cultural fabric at NaviNet. Hiring standards are very high and every candidate must pass the NaviNet Audition which involves defining a solution based on a set of requirements with several NaviNet Staff. The audition is customized to the type of position (e.g. Software Engineering, User Experience or Product Development). This rigorous interview process insures only best candidates are hired. NaviNet holds an Off The Grid (OTG) event once a year where work is stopped and the staff forms small teams to work on innovative ideas for two days (hence off the grid). These projects are presented to the company on the third day, judged, and prizes are awarded. Many of these ideas make their way back into the Product Development Life-cycle. The salary and benefits are competitive and it is hard to beat the location, three blocks from South Station - Boston, MA. In fact, most of the staff at the organization uses public transportation with quite a few cycling in from the surrounding areas. The casual dress and Beer Friday's are icing on the cake.

Cons

There is quite a bit of technical debt that has been accumulated over the years but with the transition from a service organization to a product organization that debt should be easier to refactor. replace or retire.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

NaviNet has boosted my confidence in what I'm able to do now and capable of in the future.

Jan 10, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, driven, and committed leadership team. Immediately given autonomy and asked for input/ideas on day one. Competitive pay, AWESOME benefits. Monthly company-wide gatherings so all employees know what's happening across all departments. People take breaks all throughout the day to play ping pong. Throughout the holiday seasons, each department did extravagant lunches, dinners, or in-office parties. If you refer someone for a job and they get it, you win $5000. The location is great. Lots of flexibility to work from home if necessary- everyone gets a laptop.

Cons

We're growing really quickly and adding jobs that haven't existed before, which is awesome. The down side to that is trying to figure out what your job is and how to structure your day, goals, etc. At first this was challenging for me but the more I dove in, the more I valued the opportunity to be creative, resourceful, and truly be independently shaping a new position for the company.

1 person found this review helpful