LANDR Reviews

64 Comments

Tech

334.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=LANDR~975465
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Awesome company

Sep 6, 2022 - Senior Backend Developer (.NET/C#)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Definitely product oriented: you work with clear goals, for customers Competent and pleasant teammates: you are getting constant useful and relevant feedback (not only the code), you actually grow up Challenging technical environment: cloud, DevOps, monitoring, all is well-oiled Amazing team leads, engineering manager, QAs, product owners... : it was so nice to work with everyone Great work balance and flexibility

Cons

None at all, I did not see any cans while I worked there

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Dont be fooled

Sep 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- decent compensation - decent people - "music"

Cons

- growth opportunities take too long - no equity - health benefits are only 80% coverage and 70% employer paid

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun place to work but few opportunities for advancement

Sep 4, 2022 - Marketing Team in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great, creative people - Lots of innovative products to work on - Employees are encouraged to learn and explore different roles (though not compensated for it) - Decent work-life balance in many positions (though not all) - Work with legit musicians and music industry professionals - Access to some pretty cool music software (though you have to ask explicitly)

Cons

- Raise caps that don't meet cost of living increases - Very limited room for advancement ( 2+ years and not even an offer of a "senior" added to the role despite training 4 people, learning skills above and beyond the job description, and outlasting 3 others in the same position) - Ever-changing company ethos and ever-changing goal-posts + loss of in-depth product knowledge due to high turnover - No unified processes, so people working across different departments will have to cultivate many different workflows (ex: tactical meetings for different products will have different structures, different goals, different types of participants, and different agendas even if the meeting has the exact same name and description in the documentation)

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Nice to work for musicians

Aug 3, 2022 - Engineering in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product and offers to our users Great leaders Transparency Chance to work with brilliant peoples

Cons

Nothing to declare as cons I really enjoy my work at Landr.

5. 2.0

Seemingly directionless

May 27, 2022 - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, flexible hours and in-office scheduling. Fun events, and the amount of musical talent working here is always interesting! Pay is very competitive and yearly reviews are fair and open. Technology is open to be changed, and if you're willing to put in the effort you can make big changes to improve things if you see a way to.

Cons

I had never actually heard a coherent idea about what LANDR was supposed to be. It feels like we chase what other companies are doing. Timelines and roadmaps will be kept hidden from you and randomly unveiled without expectations of pushback. Most developers here are just "hands" to do the work (this might be ideal for some!), and are otherwise uninvolved in the nebulous vision of LANDR. A "stuck in the past" mentality around culture: those who joined during or after covid will feel uninvolved in the company culture while everyone else talks about about "how it was before". Despite preaching the values of being a start up, they operate with insane levels of hierarchy. You won't speak to anyone above your team lead.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Cool Products, Great Team

Jan 25, 2022 - Senior Product Manager in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The passion and dedication of each employee shows in every conversation. Overcoming challenges becomes much easier with such supportive and smart colleagues in every department! The product roadmap is every evolving with new launches and advanced features. It keeps the day-to-day work to be very dynamic with new ideas and improvements every week. There is never a dull moment with such advancements. I would commend the executive team for improving the female representation at the company particularly at management level adding women in key positions. This demonstrates their commitment to diversity and growing a balanced company

Cons

It's a fast-paced startup with big ambitions, that can come as a surprise to those are not prepared to jump into the fire. That can result in typical misconnections or hidden information but the tradeoff is autonomy and growth potential

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company with great potential but that is unfortunately falling apart. Stay away.

Feb 3, 2022 - Marketing Manager in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours, great colleagues, cool product. There's something endearing about working in a music tech startup where most employees are musicians. there are some truly talented people working here. But the most talented are the ones who are slamming the door the hardest on their way out as of late.

Cons

This company is absolutely unable to manage its growth. CEO often seems like he has no clue what he's doing even though he talks like LANDR is the best and biggest company in the industry. He makes the entire company pivot to new projects over and over and pressures everyone to deliver within absolutely unrealistic timelines on opportunities where the due diligence has simply NOT been done (cease and desist, anyone?). Many of these projects end up being abandoned mere weeks after everyone has been squeezed to the bone like it was the next gold rush. This is demobilizing almost everyone in the company and many many core players have resigned in the second half of 2021. One of the heads of product is a tyrant who simply does not consider anyone's opinion, micromanages and imposes her ideas on everyone even when she clearly isn't the subject matter expert (ie: she is not a native english speaker nor is she a musician yet she dictates word for word english copy that is destined to musicians. When we later run a/b tests, her copy performs miserably but her leitmotiv never changes. Keep in mind, LANDR has professional copy writers that are english speakers and are musicians) Finally, if you aren't on the product team, don't ever expect your opinion to be considered, no matter what your position is. I was there for less than two years and i saw two marketing VPs come and go. And they were talented people. HR seems equally clueless as to what is going on and this is further proven by the way they respond to the comments here on glassdoor. My guess is they know exactly what is going on but are forced to play along since they are HR. Blink twice if you want out, HR. I know it doesn't seem like it, but I honestly don't have hard feelings towards the company. i left of my own accord because i felt it was time for a new opportunity where i'd be able to have a say in decisions that were made. I was optimistic that management would turn things around but i'm hearing that things are only getting worse and i feel extremely bad for my ex colleagues that are still on this sinking ship.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Horrible CEO

Jan 2, 2022 - Product Manager in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people and cool products.

Cons

The CEO is a dictator. Treats people like garbage. Turnover is very high.

9 people found this review helpful

LANDR Response

People & Talent Manager

Hi there, this is very unfortunate to read seeing as you are a current employee. We will not address the comments against our CEO in this forum, but we invite you to please come talk to HR, your direct manager or someone else you feel comfortable with so we can work together to resolve these feelings and move forward together. Thank you.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Jul 21, 2021 - User research manager in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love my experience at Landr. Everyone is kind and passionate about what they do, efficient and always ready to give you a hand if needed. Not being familiar with music production at first did not impacted my work at all. I got the chance to learn many new things and was given the place to develop my skills among a great team!

Cons

Information can be hard to find.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don't be afraid and let's be real

Jul 19, 2021 - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Montreal, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been hired a few months ago and I, at the time of writing, am completely adoring my time at LANDR! To begin, I really wanted to discuss the fears I had BEFORE getting hired and after reading the glassdoor comments. In case you’re in the same situation, I hope it’ll help you put things into perspective. Turnover: 2 things. We’re talking about a “teenaged tech start-up”. Yes, there will be a high turnover, but it would be simply dishonest to put it all on the company’s back. In this world, companies are fighting amongst each other for talents. I must be receiving at least 1 email from recruiters every 10 days or so and I don’t see why it’d be different for any of my talented colleagues. On the other hand, sometimes bad hires just happen. When a tree branch grows in the wrong direction, it gets pruned. In my eyes, the tree is pretty well-groomed right now. Room for growth: The company itself has a lot of room to grow. As for personal career opportunities, it depends on your own definition of it. You want to deepen your knowledge of your field and be the best in what you do? Go for it. You want to be part of the highest level of a pyramid? Just know that it’s not a 50k employees giant and that the organizational structure is quite flat and in many places in a matrix-like structure (which is such a great thing in my view). Management problems: I currently have an amazing supervisor. No, we don’t see eye-to-eye on EVERY aspect of day-to-day methodology/priorities, but it’s just minor and normal. We work in a business, not in the care bears world. I’m not going to talk about what I didn’t see, but we have to be fair and separate skills from personal affinities. Sometimes personalities clash, but that doesn’t make the other party incompetent. Being analytical and a bit introvert by nature, I usually have sparks with CEO-type people. Nevertheless, once we find the right balance, we go places! You know what? “Ça prend plein de monde pour faire un monde“. And the rest (that’ll make you stay): - GREAT onboarding on a personal standpoint. You feel like a member of the family at the very start! - Passionate and talented colleagues (I have yet to find someone who is not) - Interesting products and fascinating industry - The salaries seem close to market for what I saw - Flexible schedules - Work hard, play hard (not in the traditional bad way though. People want to, they don’t ‘have to’) - I wouldn't only recommend to a friend.. I brought one with me right at the start! And the rest (that could be a bother to you): - Typical growing pains - Fast-paced start-up environment - People won’t hold your hand, step up kid In a nutshell, know who you are and what you need. Ask about what is to be expected and you won’t be disappointed!

Cons

Full review in the previous section.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews

LANDR Reviews FAQs

LANDR has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 58 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at LANDR to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, LANDR employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at LANDR. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

75% of LANDR employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated LANDR 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with LANDR Job Seekers