Human Rights Campaign Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Human Rights Campaign Reviews

Updated Feb 17, 2020

Human Rights Campaign President Alphonso David
Alphonso David
Pros
  • "Knowing you're working for a good cause, especially since HRC has made great strides in being more just to transgender people and people of color(in 11 reviews)

• "They have several brown bags, a mentorship program, and free food sometimes(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's our job as HRC employees to be informed about what's happening in the country(in 11 reviews)

• "In addition to that, the canvassers, and especially the female ones experienced a huge degree of harassment while street canvassing(in 6 reviews)

1. "Huge Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Field Canvasser

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Taught me how to start hard conversations with strangers and the strong interpersonal skills I now use everyday

Cons

Long hours and hard days, but worth it

Human Rights Campaign2020-02-18
  2. "Overall Good"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Room for advancement on most teams at HQ. -Forces you to gain experience in communication and cross-training to learn different skill sets since most roles involve a lot of collaboration with colleagues on different teams. -Victories are celebrated which makes for a nice camaraderie and improves morale. -You'll attend occasional glamorous events like the National Dinner or have the opportunity to travel to volunteer at Pride events across the country. Well, most roles offer these opportunities. -Knowing you're working for a good cause, especially since HRC has made great strides in being more just to transgender people and people of color. -Benefits are pretty good; I really have no complaints there.

Cons

-Much of the work is reactionary based on the news (a necessity, to be fair) so the work can sometimes be unexpectedly intense. Be prepared to hit the ground running at any moment, stay very late, and be aware that some teams have on-call hours on the weekends and evenings for this reason. During election time especially, expect to have less flexibility in taking vacation time since everyone is so busy. -Because things can be so rushed, there isn't always time to plan out projects as thoroughly as you might want. If you're the type of person who likes weeks/months to complete any project, this might not be the best fit. But it depends on your role again; some projects do take a long time. -If the news upsets you easily, you can't really escape it at HRC. It's our job as HRC employees to be informed about what's happening in the country. Sometimes the work you do will relate to an issue you may be personally sensitive about. -Pay is average for a non-profit in the area so I can't really complain there, but don't come expecting to make tons of money in most roles. Even roles that pay "well" are underpaid compared to the for-profit equivalents. Just have proper expectations for non-profit compensation.

Human Rights Campaign2020-01-25
  3. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule was a plus

Cons

Lacked diversity in management although did try to do good outreach

Human Rights Campaign2019-11-26
  4. "Field Organizer"

Former Employee - Field Organizer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for less than a year

Pros

Valuable and important work Refine or learn management skills Learn a lot about diverse people

Cons

Very long hours for the pay

Human Rights Campaign2019-11-12
  5. "HRC"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

The health benefits are alright

Cons

Diversity Remains to be a problem at the human rights campaign

Human Rights Campaign2019-10-05
  6. "Hard work and extremely long hours, definitely not for everyone"

Current Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely rewarding cause, generally a good sense of camaraderie among the other canvassers and with management. Job was especially pleasant and not stressful if you had any sort of skill. Vastly improved my speaking and general people skills. Got to travel to different cities and states for work. Recognized that dress codes have been historically used primarily to unfairly single out women and did not enforce one as a result.

Cons

Morale within the office fluctuated massively because of people constantly being laid off. As a non-profit, they couldn't afford to keep people on who weren't meeting their fundraising quotas, but as a result this meant that there was an extremely high turnover rate. Ignorance and absence of certain Human Resources policies led to some sticky situations and in some cases could have been a source of litigation. There didn't exist a person in upper management who served as an impartial HR person. If there had been any abuse of power or sexual harassment there very easily could have been a lawsuit. Thankfully nothing went on like that while I was there, however I did encounter a former canvasser who spoke about experiencing sexual harassment within the office. In addition to that, the canvassers, and especially the female ones experienced a huge degree of harassment while street canvassing. One of my coworkers was even assaulted in broad daylight and had to quite literally fight off a group of teenage boys. After calling the police, and contacting the head office, she was advised to simply move over a block and continue canvassing in the same area. She was also penalized for not meeting her quota for the day because of the time taken up speaking to the police. Beyond that, we frequently worked longer than eight hours and were encouraged to work through our MANDATORY thirty minute lunch break. Lunch breaks were more often than not viewed as optional, and many times I was guilty of skipping mine to strategically gain favor with my bosses. When traveling out of town for what was known as "camping canvasses" the budget was so bare bones that we stayed in motels that were roach and rodent infested, and since we were not offered a per diem to pay for meals (which is an industry standard) we had to use our out of pocket to grocery shop. A few times I had to skip meals to save money.

Continue reading
    Human Rights Campaign2019-09-13
  7. "!!!"

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Great Employees in lower level

Cons

More diversity in upper management

Human Rights Campaign2019-08-06
  8. "Pay was good for a student but the work environment was brutal"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is very good Very supportive staff

Cons

The people you interact with on the streets can be very mean towards you because of the cause you're raising money towards. Borderline abusive Close to 60 hour weeks and the majority of the time is spent outside, brutal in the summer.

Human Rights Campaign2019-07-28

"Experience varies from team to team, department to department"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to big players and names in the LGBT activist field Big organization so get to meet lots of people

Cons

There are some execs who have been there for a while that don't really do anything Can experience a bit of agism

Human Rights Campaign2019-06-25
  10. "Great experience, just no salary"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a ton of free food and opportunities to get to know people in the company.

Cons

You get to paid nothing, so better be ready to chip in your transportation and lunch fee!

Human Rights Campaign2019-05-31

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 73 reviews