HomeStars Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2020

3.7
HomeStars Founder, CEO and Chairman  Nancy Peterson
Nancy Peterson
Pros
  • "Option to work from home occasionally(in 8 reviews)

• "HomeStars has a strong focus on people and does an excellent job of helping people with work life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Take negative reviews with a grain of salt(in 4 reviews)

• "high turn over in dev team because there isn’t any interesting work to do(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Fast growing company with tons of opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Team and work culture. The team is awesome, super knowledgeable and always available for a helping hand. - Work Life balance. It's valued here and people respect your time as long as you get work done. Also vacations and time off are encouraged properly. - Growth. There's opportunity to hone your skills, take on multiple hats, test new technologies and integrate them. It's not a rigid tech environment. Also initiatives like Better Fridays and the education budget are great. - Company culture. Everyone is super friendly and open, HR has great initiatives to make it easier for co-workers to interact with other coworkers they typically don't run into especially as the company grows bigger. Examples include Coffee buddies, game nights, paint nights, social events, Annual Offsite etc. - Great Location

Cons

Nothing that other tech companies don't deal with like maintaining legacy systems and code that stockholders aren't around anymore to guide on. However we are doing a better and better job at refactoring and either striping it out or modernizing it.

January 2, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your insights and providing us with feedback. We are always looking at how we can improve as an organization, especially as we grow.

2. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time

Pros

Great culture good pay good people

Cons

Not too much, coffee machine guy bit weird

3. "Sales Position at Homestars"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time

Pros

There was a lot of great training at Homestars and it is one of the best workplace atmospheres you could hope for.

Cons

The upcoming commission change will likely mean that BDRs make slightly less

4. "Great place to work and grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture at HomeStars is amazing. The company really cares about it and drives it forward. There is an opportunity for growth for people that are hungry and willing to do the work. They always look to hire from within first. There are always great snacks and fun events to keep employees connected. The Home Improvement industry is really interesting and a growing market in Canada.

Cons

You gotta be ready to wear many hats, so if you're looking for a place that has it all figured out and requires minimum work, this isn't it. If you welcome challenges and want to grow your strategic thinking, then you're in the right place.

5. "Top Tech Workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission driven focus - HomeStars is focused on the goal or building a better workplace and has systems to help ensure we all know and can work towards it. HomeStars has a strong focus on people and does an excellent job of helping people with work life balance.

Cons

With growth, there are always opportunities to improve - finding and picking the correct ones is hard!

6. "Nice Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON

I worked at HomeStars full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly Staff and Clear work flow.

Cons

Feels like Startup and need lots of work to be done.

February 5, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thanks for your review and feedback on HomeStars!

"If you're looking for a career you can feel good about, you won't find it here."

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success in Toronto, ON

I worked at HomeStars full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people were genuine and I made great connections there.

Cons

Oh man, where do I start? I got into this role thinking that I would feel useful, helping contractors grow their business by using this online review platform as a part of their marketing strategy. Out of the 450 or so accounts I managed, I could confidently say that 40-50 of them were doing well and making money off of the platform. It's terrible. Almost all conversations were negative as we weren't delivering on our promises to help these contractors get a return on their investment. To add to that, contractors were signing a contract that locked them in for 12 months, which makes no sense for seasonal businesses but we were told to sell it in a way that made them feel that their reputation wasn't seasonal. All contractors want leads, and leads that actually respond to them. When the contractors on HomeStars receive a routed (shared) lead, about 90% of the time, the homeowners don't even respond back. Which led a lot of contractors to believe that we were sending them fake leads, and I didn't blame them. I strongly feel that not having a mobile app for the homeowner to use to find and message contractors on is a HUGE detriment. The parent company, HomeAdvisor (which has a shady history of misleading contractors) has an app for customers, so why doesn't HomeStars? There are a couple reasons why: they tried 10 years ago and it failed miserably and apparently it was a greater priority to have the dev team work on a new version of the app for contractors. There's such a severe lack of innovation and ingenuity, it drove someone like me bonkers. There's also a lack of the "get it done" mentality, as severely needed tools and measures to increase productivity and client satisfaction for the Customer Success team took forever to implement and in most cases were not even taken seriously (client KPI reports, time-saving templates, more transparency from marketing on what emails where being sent out and when, client retention coaching (instead we were coached on how to sell more of a subpar product). This company is hemorrhaging money and losing its customer base at such a rapid pace that they are cutting wages and compensation for Customer Success and Sales (because apparently it's their fault?) and apparently it's happening for other departments, but I only saw promotions in other departments before I resigned. The logic at this company will make any rational human's brain hurt. It goes something like this: "Let's make it harder for our Accounts Managers to reach their commission targets by adding more metrics (more work) so that we won't have to pay them what they're worth and have them feel valued." "Let's jack up the monthly subscription prices for contractors by ridiculous amounts because we can't wait for this product to be where it should be, we need their money now." "Let's only have one employee in Accounts Receivable calling contractors who can't pay their invoices and just get the Account Managers to run bi weekly blitzes to pressure them to pay up." "Let's reward and promote the greasiest salesmen (emphasis on men) because they always exceed their targets by making false assurances and guarantees." "Let's motivate our employees by giving them a heavier workload, cutting their commission and wages and expect them to remain silent and not fight back." This company promotes itself on being a great company to work for because it won an award last year. It's shared repetitively on LinkedIn because it's the only good press they've got in a while. I'll give HR the benefit of the doubt, they are always available to talk to, but they really don't have any power to effect the kind of change that will have a positive impact on the employee's financial and psychological wellness. There's no shortage of team-building events going on that are fuelled by alcohol because it's a great way to make everyone forget that they work at a company whose future is so bleak. I can go on, but I'll end it with this: Whether you're a grad fresh out of school or someone looking to work for a company where they can climb the ranks, HomeStars should not be your first choice. All things considered, I am glad I got out when I did - word on the street is that more compensations changes are happening on the sales side so a lot of current employees are either leaving or planning to leave. Pretty much all of the Customer Success team are looking elsewhere too.

Continue reading
  8. "Great transactional sales environment in the Canadian home renovation SaaS space"

Current Employee - Vice President, Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time

Pros

Young, dynamic and high energy sales environment Excellent compensation for high performance sales professionals Outstanding training and employee support for new salespeople Great office culture; lots of cross dept interactions and events

Cons

Competitive sales environment that is performance focused; if you do not like to work hard and be rewarded for your hard work this might not be for you Most sales positions are in office from 9 - 5; not a lot of flexibility around working hours

Continue reading

January 27, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thanks for writing a review about HomeStars. We take this feedback seriously and take it into account as we are consistently trying to make improvements to the organization .

"Not the greatest work environment"

2.0
    Current Employee - Outbound Call Center Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

sometimes some cool people to work with

Cons

communication issues most of the time

January 27, 2020Human Resources Manager

We are sorry to hear that you think this isn't the greatest work environment. We do employee engagement surveys and have an open office environment, so please feel free to share your concerns with HR, manager or colleagues as we are happy to hear employee feedback.

10. "Professional and friendly"

Current Employee - Customer Acquisition Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at HomeStars full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are a great mix of professional and friendly that makes working here great.

Cons

Honestly my experience has been extremely positive to date.

January 27, 2020Human Resources Manager

We are glad to hear your experience has been so positive. We love to see our employees happy.

Found 63 reviews