GenoLogics Reviews

GenoLogics CEO Michael Ball
Michael Ball
  1. "Software Developer"

I worked at GenoLogics full-time

Pros

Great culture and people. Technology was pleasant to work with.

Cons

Bought out and then laid off the whole office.

2. "Collaborative and creative environment"

4.0

I worked at GenoLogics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best team environment I’ve ever worked in. The group is collaborative, willing to share, develop or question ideas to help arrive at the best outcome.

Cons

Offices are located at the Victoria Technology Park, not much in the area and the tech community isn’t well connected out there.

3. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Victoria, BC

I worked at GenoLogics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great environment, very respectful towards employees, good pay, smart people.

Cons

Better if you enjoy their domain (Next-Gen sequencing).

4. "Software Developer"

4.0

I worked at GenoLogics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Culture that's been built over many years * An established Scrum process that is continually improved * Great team willing to learn and try new tech with the goal of improving the software process. Was working with Groovy, Grails, Javascript, Typescript, React, Redux * A keen focus on quality UX * Top of the line 15" Macbook Pros * Tech lunches providing team members to showcase new or interesting topics/tech including coding challenges * Big supporter of Co-op programs

Cons

* Limited training budget for conferences or formal training which included travel of which in Victoria was necessary in a lot of cases * Desk setup limited (full standing desks were not an option based on the setup) * Short staffed in some key areas such as DevOps

"Administration"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at GenoLogics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting industry with a great base of employees. Extremely creative development with a lot of drive and energy.

Cons

Many mistakes made by management and the board early on that crippled the growth of the company. CEO played favorites too often and had a hard time getting along with other company executives.

Continue reading
  6. "Fun, engaging, challenging, and rewarding"

I have been working at GenoLogics full-time

Pros

The people are a huge pro of working with GenoLogics. The in-depth interview process creates an environment where I not only work with people I want to work with, but also ones that I love to work with. The are a good number of past employees who have returned, which speaks highly of their experience as well as those who hire them again. The customers and the science that we support is another big win for me. I know that the work that I do is sharpening the blade of leading edge science, enabling advancement such as the early detection of cancers.

Cons

The location is bitter sweet. For me there is some draw to being downtown; however, the scenery is pretty beautiful where the office currently is.

7. "Very thorough communicators good work culture."

5.0

I have been working at GenoLogics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The recruitment process was by far the most thorough and communicative I've ever experienced in my career. I felt I knew what was happening all the time. Also, I found that the interview questions were the right questions and the task/test I completed was focused on how I think, which is very telling. The style (and schedule) of the interview was communicated to me beforehand, so I didn't worry that they would spring some test or something at the last minute (this effort to be clear and reduce unnecessary stress for interviewees was also telling). I met almost everyone I would be working with before I got hired. There's a nice culture that's a mix of professionalism and an expectation that everyone is reasonable, so it's not overly policy-ridden. It's good to have a mix of professionalism with a culture of excellence as well (as corporate as that sounds), when everyone is trying, there's much more cohesion in the workplace. I haven't heard a single grumble.

Cons

I can't say much on that front at the moment, but will update if something relevant comes up.

"Great work environment. Great Team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC

I have been working at GenoLogics full-time

Pros

I've never worked in a more pleasant environment. The team is talented and friendly with a great corporate culture. You are treated with respect no matter your role. There's also lots of room for professional growth inside the company - they want their employees to be the best they can be. Clarity LIMS, our software, is helping scientists map the human genome and find greater insight into cancer and other diseases. It feels good to be working for a company that's making a difference in the world.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that it is a bit far from downtown. With a car, it's a breeze to get out to the Tech Park. Lots of people in the company do bus, so it might not be an issue for many.

"High turnover in staff"

2.0

I have been working at GenoLogics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely intelligent group of developers and product owners who are extremely supportive.

Cons

Within the first 3 weeks of joining this company, there were 4 employees who quit, followed by additional employees leaving the company on an average of 1 every 2 months. Leadership is questionable, overheard a staff member question HR about their loyalty to the company as they were being laid off. HR responded that that it was not important as layoffs are just a part of business. Group layoffs have occurred more than once due to financial resources which leads to question the stability of the company and management of financial resources.

GenoLogics Response

June 9, 2015Administration, Talent & Culture and Marketing Specialist

Although at times it may feel like there's a high turnover in staff, our turnover rate is quite low. In the last 12 months only 4 people have resigned. 75% took jobs in other cities or pursued a new career path altogether. Management will regularly schedule exit interviews to learn more about the reason for departure and learn from any criticisms an employee may have. It's true that we've had layoffs in the past, and it has a large impact on remaining team members. Our management team is always looking for creative ways and opportunities to work closer with team members.

"Intern for 8 months"

Former Intern - Web Applications Developer

I worked at GenoLogics for less than a year

Pros

Great pay for an intern position, interesting work, friendly and helpful environment, and plenty of fun out of office activities.

Cons

The office is far from downtown Victoria. On the other hand, the fresh air is nice.

Found 17 reviews