Genentech Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.9
Genentech CEO Alexander Hardy
Alexander Hardy
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance varies greatly depending on your function or manager(in 109 reviews)

• "Hard to find opportunities for full time(in 100 reviews)

"Sr administrative assistant"

I worked at Genentech

Pros

great work environment, great and helpful team

Cons

moving from contract to full time is difficult

Genentech2016-08-26
  2. "Good"

I worked at Genentech full-time

Pros

Great for everyone involved in the company

Cons

not at all for anyone

Genentech2019-11-11
  3. "Genentech- great place to work"

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are wonderful and it’s a great place to learn new areas of interest. The best of everything.

Cons

There is constant change and ambiguity. It’s all for the good of the company, but it’s hard to keep focus at times.

Genentech2019-11-10
  4. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Automation Engineer

I have been working at Genentech full-time

Pros

Mission, Benefits, Colleagues, Security, Helping Patients.

Cons

Slow to change, outdated data management practices, not enough attention to the long view, too much concentration on short term impact.

Advice to Management

Invest heavily in fixing the data management infrastructure. We need some one high up to champion radical change in this area. We need a change of attitude otherwise smaller more agile companies will run rings around us.

Genentech2019-11-06
  5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart motivated people, passionate

Cons

Large company challenges as expected, no worse than others

Genentech2019-11-05
  6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician

I worked at Genentech full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, good work-life balance, supportive manager

Cons

no cons. it’s a great company.

Genentech2019-11-02
  7. "Awesome place, a bit too focused on unimportant things"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with the smartest and best people in biotech. Resources are unmatched - whatever is needed to do your job is always at your fingertips or can be delivered to you asap. Benefits and perks are awesome.

Cons

The pay is lower than other biotech companies nearby. I had a friend, also a postdoc, who was making 15K a year more at a company next door (same South San Francisco). The biggest con for being a postdoc was the fact they are hiding you from all really cool and pipeline-related projects. Also, the focus is 100% on publications, regardless if it can ever become a product or not, which seems odd and wasteful.

Advice to Management

It made total sense for the company to be focused so heavily on the number of publications for hiring, promotions and everything else (on all levels, not just postdoc). This might have been important to establish the brand among academics, but it seems pretty wasteful in the recent years. This is also one of the main reasons why some smaller companies are becoming much more efficient and productive than Genentech... and beating it in competition.

Genentech2019-11-01
  8. "Was a good experience"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and super smart colleagues....the best of the best

Cons

Lots of busy work and unnecessary meetings

Genentech2019-10-30

"Patriarchy and favortism"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Technician in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team to work with, offsite, ho-hos, and benefits.

Cons

12 hour shifts, when that's night shift, you miss out on everything. Chair massages are taken by selfish day shifters who get one every time, the cafeteria is closed at night and they have minimal(sometimes ZERO ) options in the grab and go. They want people to always be working on projects despite NEVER giving "project management" classes. They'd rather you make something up that doesn't matter instead of not... having a project. Why do we have support groups if we're supposed to create all these "process improvements"??? If you're not liked by a person that management loves, you're SOL. I've seen good technicians quit after being harassed. Even when technicians go to HR with witness statements, the people they're reporting get off Scott free or worse, promoted! They preach about "the companies greatest asset is it's employees" unless you have a life crisis like a divorce or a loved one die. Then you're put on a PIP if you miss too much work. Because you don't actually matter. I've personally been made aware of a supervisor who has accrued, no less than, 6 HR reports about them. Most of which happened prior to being promoted to supervisor. Supervisors get sent on out of town "learning" trips for a week to 2 weeks on the company dime but they're always saying "no overtime!" This year they're taking shifts down to 3- 5 people per line to save money on holiday pay. Even if you're scheduled, you may not work. This is a company with great potential and we produce life saving meds, however, the LT is toxic and plays favorites like no other place I've ever worked. Even in the 6 years ive been here, it hasnt been this bad. There are technicians who haven't missed a day of work in a year for fear of exceeding on occurrences. Meanwhile, Sr. (Liked) technicians seem to be on vacay all the time in between promotions and HR complaints. DONT WORK HERE IF YOU CAN HELP IT. looking for a way out now.

Advice to Management

Look at your people, REALLY look. Stop putting horrible human beings in positions of power.

Genentech2019-11-05
  10. "Great company"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Leadership is confused and too much politics

Advice to Management

Focus on solid work over playing games

Genentech2019-10-13