Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Jan 13, 2020

4.3
Eventbrite Co-Founder & CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment that really makes an effort to honor work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• "Strong perks and benefits (Free food, catered lunch, dogs in work)(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 15 reviews)

• "There are a lot of changes as expected with a growing company, but sometimes I feel the communication could be better(in 11 reviews)

"Problems at Vancouver office potentially saved by Eventbrite brand, but history of toxic culture and high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

- Eventbrite has a positive brand and culture and will likely try to improve local reputation. - Fun space to work in: events.

Cons

Do extra research and reference checks if you're looking at a job at this office. While Eventbrite has a workplace brand of being inclusive, diverse, and supportive, this office has a reputation of something quite different. The Eventbrite Vancouver office came from the acquisition of a Vancouver startup called Picatic. That team and its leadership are still intact there, but was wrought with high turnover and toxic workplace culture for years. Here are some specific examples: - Extremely high turnover and so many disgruntled former employees. In the last 2 years leading to the Picatic acquisition by Eventbrite, for example about 70% of the people hired to do sales, marketing, or support (the half of the company not coding full time on the core product) left in frustration or were abruptly fired. You'd never get a genuinely convincing reason why they quit or were fired, they'd never visit the office, you'd see them remove Picatic from their LinkedIn bios, you'd see them write insinuating comments around the web about it being a mediocre job, and you'd even see them leave disgruntled comments on the management team's social media posts. The origin story of the company was rarely shared because it's full of burned bridges. It was so painful. - Not diverse, not supportive. For example, no women were hired or could be retained as employees. Many times, you would hear people's opinions be insulted out loud in front of other teams or colleagues. If an opinion wasn't the same as management's, often you would be ganged up on. Over time, everyone just started sucking up because other opinions and debate were so dangerous. - These aren't just fixable skills, like hiring, managing, firing, defining job responsibilities, etc, but systematic problems. Also being able to say that the company was acquired (though really acqui-hired to the detriment of many people) probably only gives them validation that how they were doing things is ok, so they are unlikely to change. - Look at roles at other offices, or just hold off 6 months and see if things and office leadership dramatically change.

Eventbrite2019-03-12
  2. "Good company"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Caring and talented group of folks who believe in what they’re doing

Cons

Like any other company there are ebbs and flows.

Eventbrite2020-01-14
  3. "Concreet foundations, but lack of strong leadership"

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in São Paulo, São Paulo

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amenities, salary + comission, autonomy, unformal environment

Cons

Lack of strong leadership regarding targeting (or defining) our main personas

Eventbrite2019-12-29

"High vibrations"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Eventbrite is challenging, dynamic, and full of really wonderful people.

Cons

The org is navigating through reasonable challenges post-IPO.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the prioritization of communication and transparency.

Eventbrite2019-11-19

"Tremendous People"

I have been working at Eventbrite

Pros

The staff at Eventbrite are warm, intelligent, and mission-driven. The environment is cool and energizing. There is a ton of potential for business growth. Feels like the start of something exciting despite the company having been in operation now over years.

Cons

Company is going through some change and navigating some reasonable post-ipo challenges.

Advice to Management

Lean into values as a way to keep staff aligned through change. Stay focused on the business plan.

Eventbrite2019-11-14
  6. "Amazing people, amazing workplace!"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

It is a super friendly and collaborative workplace- everyone is ready to help at any time. Also, the leaders are very approachable and always open to suggestions, new ideas and processes. It's a company with a lot of potential, I really like the mission and the work-life balance!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons, it is truly an incredible place to work!

Eventbrite2019-11-05
  7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

Good life/work balance Dogs allowed in the office Lunch is served every day Great environment and team Very nice office

Cons

Big company. As expected, working with different time zones can be tiresome. Engineers seem to receive a much better treatment than other average workers.

Advice to Management

Political correctness often leads to miscommunication and long review processes. It’s part of the American culture we are embedded in, but something we should reconsider with such as a -mostly- experimented and kind team members we have the joy to work with.

Eventbrite2019-10-10
  8. "Best job of my career"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company was still <500 employees, but I loved the company culture.

Cons

The company didn't offer a lot of employee benefits at that time (401K, employee perks, etc.)

Eventbrite2019-10-23

"A Chronicle of a Death Foretold"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

It looks goor from outside: nice perks and atmosphere.

Cons

It is rotten inside. They are firing a lot of people. It seems that the company is not doing well in economic terms and they are firing a lot of people. They really do not care about people. We are numbers. 60 layoffs were announced this week. (and they've been firing a lot of people during 2019 plus managers are leaving as well) Senior and manager people who were hired just 3 weeks ago from other top companies are also being fired. People who's been there for more than 7 years also. It's crazy what it's happening. But it is not surprising. The level of expenses are high and the margin of ticketing is very low. They are wasting A LOT of money and the fastest way to reduce them is to fire people. Clients and top promoters already know that something is not going well (they've been firing and changing their accounts manager many times this last year) so they are stopping working with Eventbrite. This company is not a safe place right now.

Advice to Management

Take care about people. People it not a number. Julia always tells how important people is for her and the company. I laugh at her so loud. It's all a lie.

Eventbrite2019-10-31
  10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in Mendoza

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, a lot of benefits

Cons

Home office options is too limited

Eventbrite2019-09-19