Eventbrite Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
Eventbrite CEO Julia Hartz
Julia Hartz
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains associated with a scaling company: some disorganization at the senior level can give individual contributors whiplash and cause burnout(in 15 reviews)

• "There are a lot of changes as expected with a growing company, but sometimes I feel the communication could be better(in 11 reviews)

"Problems at Vancouver office potentially saved by Eventbrite brand, but history of toxic culture and high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Eventbrite full-time

Pros

- Eventbrite has a positive brand and culture and will likely try to improve local reputation. - Fun space to work in: events.

Cons

Do extra research and reference checks if you're looking at a job at this office. While Eventbrite has a workplace brand of being inclusive, diverse, and supportive, this office has a reputation of something quite different. The Eventbrite Vancouver office came from the acquisition of a Vancouver startup called Picatic. That team and its leadership are still intact there, but was wrought with high turnover and toxic... workplace culture for years. Here are some specific examples: - Extremely high turnover and so many disgruntled former employees. In the last 2 years leading to the Picatic acquisition by Eventbrite, for example about 70% of the people hired to do sales, marketing, or support (the half of the company not coding full time on the core product) left in frustration or were abruptly fired. You'd never get a genuinely convincing reason why they quit or were fired, they'd never visit the office, you'd see them remove Picatic from their LinkedIn bios, you'd see them write insinuating comments around the web about it being a mediocre job, and you'd even see them leave disgruntled comments on the management team's social media posts. The origin story of the company was rarely shared because it's full of burned bridges. It was so painful. - Not diverse, not supportive. For example, no women were hired or could be retained as employees. Many times, you would hear people's opinions be insulted out loud in front of other teams or colleagues. If an opinion wasn't the same as management's, often you would be ganged up on. Over time, everyone just started sucking up because other opinions and debate were so dangerous. - These aren't just fixable skills, like hiring, managing, firing, defining job responsibilities, etc, but systematic problems. Also being able to say that the company was acquired (though really acqui-hired to the detriment of many people) probably only gives them validation that how they were doing things is ok, so they are unlikely to change. - Look at roles at other offices, or just hold off 6 months and see if things and office leadership dramatically change.

Eventbrite2019-03-12

Eventbrite Response

March 25, 2019Eventbrite

At Eventbrite, we strive to create a culture of open dialogue and feedback, so I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. While I can't personally speak to the specifics of Picatic's culture and office environment in the past, I can say that we have made and continue to make a big investment in our Vancouver Britelings. We have put leadership training, feedback workshops, and coaching in place. We have seen our culture and our development training create best in career experiences across our global offices, and we are dedicated to creating a Vancouver office where all perspectives are represented. Continuous improvement is super important to us, so please reach out to me directly if you'd like to share more (omer@eventbrite.com). -Omer Cohen, Chief People Officer

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in Mendoza

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, a lot of benefits

Cons

Home office options is too limited

Eventbrite2019-09-19
  3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO, friendly work environment

Cons

Disorganized, not really many other cons

Eventbrite2019-08-29

"Positive Culture, Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Client Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team-oriented environment. Coworkers are eager to assist one another. Laidback office with complimentary food/snacks. Management is flexible, understanding, and trustful. Day-to-day is full of problem-solving so there's variety.

Cons

Disorganized resources (difficult to find the most relevant material with constant product updates). Too many communication platforms. There's a company-wide sense of stress at this moment due to company acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Organize resources centrally and eliminate out of date information. Prioritize the design and engineering of the product.

Eventbrite2019-08-19
  5. "Amazing culture questionable management"

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, benefits, coworkers, free lunchs

Cons

Sometimes the process and decisions can be slows, not much changes opportunities

Advice to Management

Generate more spaces for career developing and evaluate more the people who becomes manager. Despite, continue with the amazing culture of the company!

Eventbrite2019-08-19
  6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Support in Nashville, TN

I worked at Eventbrite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned, grew, great benefits. I think the company overall is in an exciting place.

Cons

None that is unique to Eventbrite

Eventbrite2019-08-05

"Company with a great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Madrid

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive company, they work for people inclusion in many ways, they're always open to talk with employees, you work as a team, collaborating with your colleagues. They used inclusive languages, they support internal groups as woman, diversity, etc You have a 1:1 with your manager every week or every 2 weeks and you also as a 1:1 with the manager of your manager to be sure everything is going well.

Cons

Sometimes it's a bit hard the different timezone but they're working on improve that for everyone

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job

Eventbrite2019-07-29
  8. "Great company, but the job sucks"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Catered lunches, snacks, drinks, friendly team, great office, free parking downtown..

Cons

The job itself really sucks. People call, email, and chat in all day to complain about the product.

Eventbrite2019-07-24

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good office culture, supportive management, great product, accommodating hours, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Longer hours than ideal for commuters, but not a huge problem.

Eventbrite2019-07-02

"A great place to work, very focus on building a great culture and each employee"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Eventbrite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vision: Eventbrite is very good at guiding to the company's vision sharing transparency from the Board to any employee. Product: It is a product company and you feel that. Culture: The people that work in the company always try to help you, cultural fit is very important and the rest of the team make you feel like home Perks: A great amount of good perks.

Cons

After several company acquisitions it is still hard to create one culture, one way regardless the office. It is a work in progress issue that requires more time.

Advice to Management

Keep being as open as you are, try to replicate the model that works in every office and also, let's target soon not only the creators, but our lovely attendees!

Eventbrite2019-07-01

Eventbrite Response

July 3, 2019

So happy to hear about the positive parts of your experience so far. Thanks for sharing, it helps us know what to keep focusing on! The insight about how to merge different cultures after acquisitions is spot on - we want to balance giving new offices and teams autonomy to develop their own authentic "Briteland" while still offering the core parts of the company culture that make it so great. We'll keep working hard to make sure each office feels like they're getting the support, access, and perks that are on par with the Eventbrite culture. And more attendee goodness is coming! If you have great ideas, don't hesitate to share while we keep building out this area :) - Vivian Chaves, Community Director SF

Found 330 reviews