Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Loblaws is one of the worst companies you can work for.

Feb 3, 2016 - Grocery Clerk in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are absolutely none for working at the store level. After 6 months you get a 10% employee discount card but you'll only be using it to buy some things on the front page of the flyer considering the low wages and few hours (8-16) they offer part time employees. Oh there's also an employee Christmas dinner and summer BBQ if you want to awkwardly sit around with supervisors and managers pretending everything is fine and dandy.

Cons

Here's what happened at my location and from what I've heard many others as well. They remodeled the entire store and during the construction they hired 8 additional employees for the same position. After the grand opening they cut hours from 32-40 down to 8-16. Even for those of us who had been working there for 2+ years prior and had steady 32-40 hours work per week. All this company does is use people and doesn't care about their employees. You are disposable and there to be treated like a slave. There are so few people scheduled that we seldom get all the work done that is required. Then they tell us it's our fault for not working fast enough. Corporate cut the hours - it's NOT our fault so don't verbally abuse us and crack your whip every time we are falling behind. Bring back the hours or don't complain. I suspect another reason for this is to make the company look better ie. they appear to employ a huge number of people for the country however they neglect to reveal just how much work they are giving us. Not nearly enough hours to live on! They boast that they offer benefits for part time employees but they don't give you enough hours to be eligible for them!! This is a very shady company and I advice you to avoid Loblaw at all costs. You will need two or three other part time jobs to make ends meet. Think you can advance in the company and get a full time position? Think again. There are people who have been working there for 5-10 years+ who have never been given a full time position even though they have applied to them over and over. Don't waste your time with this shady company.

Continue reading
    26 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work at by far

Jun 6, 2022 - Assistant Meat Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Management cares about the employees - 10 percent Grocery Discount - Benefits(Dental, Vision, Therapy etc.) - Good atmosphere to work at - Many internal hiring opportunities

Cons

-People with highest seniority tend to not care a lot about work. -It's hard to find a full time job if you are new to the company since the priority are for the seniority division no matter how good you may think.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Cashier

Sep 18, 2022 - Agency Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good hours. Good part time job while in school!

Cons

dealing with customers is sometimes hard

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Loblaw Companies.