Employee Review

1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, but lack of product/tech leadership and focus

Jan 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people. Everyone is willing to help and wants the company to succeed. They all have thoughts and ideas to help things grow and evolve. - The exec team is extremely approachable and friendly. They make themselves available to chat with if you ever need to speak with them. - The work is challenging. There are a lot of areas that need smart people to jump in and take on (and there isn't a lack of smart people at Hubba, just more tasks than resources at the moment). This means that you will have ample opportunity to really make a mark on the organization.

Cons

- Lack of leadership for the product and engineering disciplines. The CPO left last May and they didn't had a VP Engineer or CTO (and still don't). This is really starting to hurt the product and engineering focus. It's a little bit of the wild west right now. All of the current leads and PMs all have great ideas and want to implement them and push for them, but there's no overarching voice to focus them all to a singular directive. - Lack of communication. This seems to be an ongoing problem. Even when issues have been brought up, people are asked to do better but then the same miscommunications still occur. There are no consequences ever. This means people think it's okay to be a certain way and that an apology is enough every time. When the same mistakes keep happening and nothing is learned though, they no longer are mistakes. - Inexperienced team leads/managers. Every manager in the product/engineering discipline is a first time manager (some may have only worked in the industry for a year or two before joining Hubba). They are smart people, but having no other mentors or more experienced managers to help teach them proper management/lead skills means that communication gets missed, poor decisions are made, and people on the teams start to become disenfranchised. - The job/responsibilities you get hired for may not be what you end up doing. I'm not sure if this is a con or more a general comment. It's a startup and things are often shifting and changing. Priorities change very quickly and what may have been important last month is taking a back seat this month. If you're a polyglot that change shift and change quickly, then you'll thrive in this environment, but if you need a little more structure and more of a transition period to switch focuses then it might be difficult and frustrating for you.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lack of product leadership and misleading metrics

Jul 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- some good people - convenient office location

Cons

- misleading metrics to please/interest investors - lack of product leadership - optimize to get investor money, not to build viable business

6 people found this review helpful

Hubba Response

CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are very sorry that your experience has been discordant with all of the other reviews and the positive experiences of other employees. As an employee, you know how important our people and culture are. You would also know, however, the great steps we have taken to hire a world-class CTO and new VP Product recently. We believe they will be instrumental in taking Hubba to a whole new level. Your perception about our metrics and goals is concerning. We have obviously failed to communicate to you in a way that would align you with the views of the rest of the organization. As you have heard our CEO say, our focus is to build a healthy, long-tern, global institution. It is a fast-pace, high intensity environment and we understand that isn’t for everyone. We are building something impactful and important here. We work with our team members, executives, board and shareholders to develop our metrics and growth goals. As we ask with all of our employees, if you ever feel that they are not aligned with your personal values or the values of the company, you are encouraged to discuss this in your 1:1s, skip levels, directly to the leadership team, in town halls and the numerous other mechanisms we have set up for feedback to ensure everyone’s voice is heard. As we continue to grow, we understand that we will, at times, not be aligned with every employee. This is one of the ramifications of having a smart, opinionated and very diverse group of people who work here. Although we do not agree with your comments, we will always work to communicate better in the future to prevent this type of disconnect.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A great company

Sep 14, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Engineering team was amazing

Cons

The management team was too secretive about company direction.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Hubba.