Creative Assembly Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Creative Assembly Reviews

Updated Jan 9, 2020

4.2
Creative Assembly Studio Director Tim Heaton (no image)
Tim Heaton
  1. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Front of House Administrator

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun relaxed happy atmosphere. Loads of employee benefits. Great career opportunities, they do loads for the community/charity’s as well and really know how to look after their staff.

Cons

Not the best for Salary and a few policies could do with an update.

Creative Assembly2020-01-09

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Gameplay Programmer in Horsham, England

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work with plenty of opportunities to progress within the company

Cons

As with other games companies as we draw closer to a games launch some overtime can be needed to get the game out on time and up to high standards

Creative Assembly2019-11-25

"Very professional game company with a lot of great talent."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, England

I worked at Creative Assembly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very professional company. IT department was top notch and engineering/coding practices were great. Lots of top level talent there. I never really had to crunch while I was there, although I know some people did. My manager was great and the tech director above him was also great.

Cons

Salary was lower than other game companies in the US. Culture was a little bit more blue collar than other tech companies I have worked for in that people kind of clocked in and out at a fixed time and there was little room for creative freedom. As an American I'm used to a more open and collaborative work environment, especially in the games industry.

Creative Assembly2019-10-25

"A friendly studio full of incredibly talented artists."

Current Employee - Artist in Horsham, England

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Good work/life balance *Friendly staff *Excellent career progression *Free breakfast! *Lots of social activities to take part in *Fair wage for junior roles *Exciting projects to work on

Cons

*Some tools are still catching up to "industry standard" *Sometimes people leave the kitchen counter a little messier than it needs to be in the morning.

Creative Assembly2019-10-12

"A friendly and collaborative environment and team which allows you to contribute, thrive and develop."

Current Employee - Video Producer in Horsham, England

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Due to a combination of the varied and exciting projects that are being made, together with the welcoming and friendly atmosphere that exists among the teams here you'll be hard pressed to find a more rewarding company provided you are willing to take initiative and work hard. Projects/Teams: There are multiple projects being made at any one time throughout CA, this allows you flexibility in your skill set and shared knowledge that would be hard to find elsewhere. While there is a physical divide between the (primarily)console focused and PC teams there is nothing to stop interaction between the two and you're encouraged to share your own knowledge as well as gain insight from others. Crunch: Almost non-existent, you'll very rarely if ever experience crunch. While this hasn't always been the case there have been huge improvements over recent years, lessons were learned and the company has changed as a result. Benefits: Really flexible working hours for the most part, allowing you to build a schedule around your own working habits and/or role requirements. Kitchens are always stocked allowing a constant steam of snacks, healthy or otherwise. The company also has many discounts with both retailers and venues around Horsham including a fantastic gym and leisure center a mere 2 minutes walk away. Add to this health insurance, dental, medical checks etc. Social: For those that want to take part in social activities there are lots of offer in CA, the large team size provides a varied mix of artistic, physical and recreational activities throughout the week together with the summer and project wrap parties provided by the company directly. Career and Advice: As with most fast paced and highly technical companies, there really is a benefit to being self motivated and full of initiative. While you won't be forced to go above and beyond, a culture exists that where if you're willing to push, you'll likely be rewarded. To go with that however, there's no negatives for just doing what's required. It's really a rare combination that offers a nice environment for all personality types. There is also a large focus on training and upskilling so you'll be given plenty of opportunity throughout the year to pimp your skills.

Cons

Company Growth: The company is and continues to grow quite rapidly, due to this you might find yourself in a position where you need to take initiative as people try to keep on top of everything, essentially you won't be micro-managed to a large degree so you'll have to be self motivated. Horsham: The salaries for the most part don't reflect the fact that Horsham has become quite an expensive place to live if you're not willing to commute. To add to this, it's rather dull as a town with not much to do unless you're willing to travel a little. This might be a problem for younger people. To offset this, it is a rather safe place to live with very little trouble and/or crime, so it could be quite nice for younger families. Salary: While this could change, many companies are currently offering a higher salary for similar jobs, albeit in other areas of the UK.

Creative Assembly2019-10-03

"Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Content Producer in Horsham, England

I worked at Creative Assembly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive Bonus Massages Festival Great people Caring

Cons

Unfortunately no remote working and expensive to live near with salary

Creative Assembly2019-09-17
  7. "A Great Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Artist in Horsham, England

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It’s the culture and the people that makes Creative Assembly what it is. With so many talented people working at Creative Assembly, it’s hard not be constantly inspired and motivated. Plus the work life balance is great, a rarity in this industry.

Cons

Could do with more office space.

Creative Assembly2019-07-28

"Fun to work at, but increadibly outdated"

I worked at Creative Assembly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly company with talented people for the most part. Being able to work on a triple-A game you'd actually want to play is always a plus. Great work/life balance, not much overtime. Decent benefits including healthcare and pension. 2 airports nearby with budget airlines connecting to most places in Europe. Fun company events. Easy to go to London during the weekends.

Cons

There has been a true exodus of talent recently, with many of the key people that were actually doing the heavy lifting quitting. While your CV may increase in value for every year spent at CA by virtue of CA's name alone, expect your actual skills to deteriorate. There is no training and the tools, tech and pipelines you work with are increadibly outdated, so most of what you learn here isn't of much value in the industry as a whole. The politics are strong. Career opportunities are extremely poor, there are some old boy cliques in charge and they want to surround themselves with obedient friends, not critical hardworking people. There is no transparent performance tracking system or standards to meet to be eligible for promotion. Bonus was terrible this year (less than 1 month's pay) and again not transparant. I don't get the feeling complaints reach the top management, else the middle management and the cliques would have been dealt with long ago. Salary is bad compared to the cost of living in Horsham, as the rents are extremely high and the houses are tiny and of poor quality. Don't forget there is 70-100 pounds of council tax to pay every month as well and the electricity bills will get high. There are some more affordable villages in the general area, but since you have to pay the overpriced rail tickets, renting in a cheaper area is not worth it. If you earn less than 40k GBP per annum you'll be struggling to rent own place and likely to end up having to share a house with other unfortunates.

Creative Assembly2019-07-29
  9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - L&D Partner in Horsham, England

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Feel valued for my opinion, we work hard, but in an understated way, fantastic HR team and HR Director, felt welcome from day 1, we get free breakfast and lots of social events organized for us - really investing in the people through actions and behaviours - not just going for kitemarks and awards!

Cons

No cons for me - I love my role and team

Creative Assembly2019-07-04
  10. "Love my job, the people and the company."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Coordinator (Maternity Cover)

I have been working at Creative Assembly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Creative Assembly embrace the parts of me which I have always been afraid to be open about in other jobs. I can be my true self without fear of judgement which is a big deal. Also, ICE CREAM WEDNESDAYS.

Cons

Horsham, where CA is based is a little expensive rent-wise. Not London-bad but not too far off.

Creative Assembly2019-06-25

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 47 reviews