Cosmo Music Reviews

1. "Fun Environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing and Ecommerce in Richmond Hill, ON

I have been working at Cosmo Music full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- fun casual environment - many knowledgeable long term employees - open door policy from management team - opportunity to develop your career path

Cons

- no formal performance review process

2. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Pro Audio Sales

I have been working at Cosmo Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Family-owned - A major part of the Canadian Music Industry - Friendly work environment - A highly knowledgable leadership team

Cons

- No formal review policy to discuss performance or compensation -

3. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Cosmo Music full-time

Pros

Being surrounded by musicians in your workplace is a huge perk

Cons

It’s hard to earn raises even when you’re a hard worker

4. "Awesome place to work!!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Music Education Advisor in Richmond Hill, ON

I have been working at Cosmo Music part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cosmo has been the best job I've ever had! My coworkers are amazing and the management is very organized, responsible and friendly. When I came in for my first shift, I immediately felt at home and part of a family. The customers are extremely nice and I look forward to work every week!

Cons

There are no real downsides to working here - the only thing I would say is that it's kinda hard to get time off but the management is extremely understanding when it comes to that stuff.

5. "Great opportunity to learn a ton and get your hands on brand new first class gear"

Former Employee - Cosmo Pro Technician/Rentals in Richmond Hill, ON

I worked at Cosmo Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Get to learn a ton and get your hands on brand new first class gear - Great Co-workers and environment - Well Managed

Cons

- Some long hours (To be expected in A/V) - In store communications and customer relations in retail for part time

Continue reading
  6. "Terrible floor managers"

I worked at Cosmo Music part-time

Pros

Guitar repair staff is great, most of the lower ranking repairers are great at their job.

Cons

Terrible managers: a manager will screamed at me, "WHY NOT!!!?," when he had nobody that could stay and cover a shift of somebody who called in for a sick day. and as he does that, he'll walk away. I had already worked the entire day, and was not able to stay. Managers will tell you things about how they will improve the workplace, your area, but that only happens for the business and profit amking side of things. Wages are terrible. Terrible to a point that they will tell you in the hiring interview that you will not get one no matter how long you work there. Also the managers will laugh at you if you try to ask for one because you've been there a long time. They will change their mind about your role if they need to, which is fine, but when the change isn't actually working and you have to pick up the slack and do the work to get things moving, then you get spoken to. you are told that you weren't supposed to do this anymore, and it doesn't matter if you tell them that the part of your job that they gave to someone else wasn't being done, they don't even listen. anyways terrible place to work, if you do work there, do it for a short time

"Warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Cosmo Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get gear at cost and see lots of cool stuff coming in. Was a good stepping stone job. Co-workers were great although some of the sales staff were not so nice.

Cons

I was laid off and not called back. After I was unable to find work, I ended up starting back here. I found that they had hired a bunch of new people including an employee’s son in law before calling temp lay-off people. Management is a joke. “HR” is a co-owner. They pay slightly above minimum wage and you are expected to deliver large electric pianos among other things in a large truck all over the city.

Continue reading
  8. "Production Services / Pro Audio Rentals"

Former Employee - Production Services/Pro Audio Rentals

I worked at Cosmo Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some good people there. Most staff are friendly. Some of the mid/lower level managers do their best to fight for the employees under them.

Cons

Upper management is greedy. Retail employees are underpaid but are expected to be an expert in their field. High turnover. Lots of disengaged employees. Production services employees are way underpaid. If you check any other AV company you will be paid more for the same tasks. If a portion of your salary is commission, you need to check your paychecks. I have caught them three times for not paying correctly on working holidays and overtime. Of course it gets fixed after they are caught...however that takes time explaining things to the CEO/CFO and there are delays in the payments. Make sure you check if you work here. No room for growth.

Continue reading
  9. "Great people to work with, bad management"

2.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cosmo Music

Pros

the staff are great. everyone feels like a great big family !

Cons

recently management has changed hands which resulted in the firing of otherwise great staff. the new management has lead to many firings and resignations of staff who have been there for a very long time

10. "Lacklustre environment"

2.0

I worked at Cosmo Music

Pros

Mostly friendly staff, health benefits for full-time, cafe in store sells cupcakes, slices of cake, sandwiches, etc and also sells coffee.

Cons

Low compensation, doesn't feel like a team, management gives preferential treatment to employees who have been there for a long time and whom they consider "family".

Found 16 reviews