Connected Reviews

Updated Feb 17, 2021

4.3
Connected CEO Mike Stern
Mike Stern
Pros
  • "The office has a fun atmosphere with lots of good conversation (and ping pong)(in 7 reviews)

• "Weekly events outside of usual agile ceremonies - demos, cross-project code/design reviews, tdd katas, socials(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "While I've never had to work overtime so far personally, I would like to see sustainable work hours be more of a core value at the company(in 5 reviews)

• "Since the core hours were reduced from 9-6 to 9-5, that addressed my single biggest concern(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Android Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great leadership - Great engineers - Great culture of teaching and learning

Cons

- Sometimes you can feel overwhelmed by the number of meeting you have to attend to

February 22, 2021

Thanks so much for the GREAT review. We’re working hard to keep Connected as a great place to work. We’re proud of everyone who works with us and our clients to deliver amazing impact. And thank you for the feedback on feeling overwhelmed with the number of meetings. Especially with zoom it can feel like a lot. We’ve been talking about how we can make this better for Connectors. If you have any ideas, please reach out to me or to the Future of Work team. Your input would be really appreciated. - Mike Stern, CEO

2. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Strong emphasis on doing quality work, not just scoring clients, making money, and getting things out the door - Lots of opportunities to learn and grow - Empathy is valued - Now pays out bonuses! (performance-based) - Remote first, flexibility to live anywhere in Canada - Very responsive to employee concerns

Cons

The only real cons are with respect to compensation and benefits. In general Connected aims for the middle of the market, so if your primary goal is to make money, you can probably make more somewhere else. (I say this mostly based on my discussion with others, I actually find my salary to be pretty competitive for the local job market.) I also do find the health benefits at Connected a little lacking, although I might be spoiled from my last job. - 100% reimbursement on everything in theory, but in practice I find Blue Cross often doesn't cover the whole amount because of stingy maximums on services that can only be found in the fine print. - Mental health coverage isn't great. Psychotherapy is only offered under the umbrella of paramedical benefits which has a $400 cap. Besides this not even being enough for two sessions with most psychologists, the paramedical benefits are all pooled together, so if you already spent it on physiotherapy/orthotics/etc., then you won't get anything. There's been some feedback/discussion about getting better mental health coverage at Connected for a long time, but so far nothing has come of it.

February 22, 2021

Thank you for sharing how things are for you at Connected. There have been a lot of changes in the last 18 months and I believe those changes have resulted in improved experiences for Connectors. This includes things like focusing on product and client impact (so doing quality work that the client appreciates) and then recognizing those contributions through a performance bonus. Your feedback on our health benefits, specifically paramedical coverage and mental health support, is also something that we have been working to improve. Just today, we announced changes to our health coverage for Connectors and their families that address these points specifically. We might not be all the way there yet but we’re making improvements in ways that are sustainable for the long run. We’ll be reviewing these improvements to see if they are the positive step we hope they will be. And we’ll keep reaching out to Connectors to understand what is critical for them and to see how we can support them. Thanks again for your detailed and honest feedback. There is always room to do better and knowing that the steps we are putting in place are being recognized really does help! - Mike Stern (CEO)

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Connected full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice and smart. Has different kind of cool projects

Cons

working with client's programer can be difficult

January 28, 2021

I love starting my day by reading that Connectors know they work for a great company! Thank you for being part of what makes Connected an amazing place to work. And, I get it that sometimes clients can be difficult but we’re in this together. Following our Values (Smart, Kind, Reliable, Teachers and Learners) is how we help our clients build better products.

4. "Good"

4.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Connected full-time

Pros

Good and interesting projects and clients

Cons

Startup pains an ongoing problem

January 28, 2021

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m glad that when you were working with Connected you found our clients and engagements interesting. Did you know that we started this year with more than a dozen new clients who are interested in seeing how they can work with us? That’s super exciting! We are growing and maturing as an organization and sometimes that can be challenging for some or everyone. But I believe we are getting better. We’re putting systems and tools in place to help us stay focused on Product and Client impact instead of the internal administrivia. But that takes time too. If you have suggestions on what we can be doing better please reach out. I’d love to get your perspective!

5. "Great place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Connected full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for growth from being able to work on various projects many different technologies

Cons

Sometimes can get stuck with a project that's not interesting to you

November 18, 2020

Thanks so much for sharing with us how much you love Connected! It means a lot to me! We’ve been really focused on helping our clients with different challenges and this adds to the opportunities that our practitioners have to learn while providing client impact. It sounds like you’ve seen the benefits of that too. We do have a variety of projects, and we have a diversity of Connectors, which means that some projects will be interesting to some and less interesting to others. If you are on a project that you don’t find very interesting please speak with your manager about a possible rotation. It might not be something that we can do right away but it will help if we are aware. Thanks again for your review - it’s great to get feedback from all of our Connectors in the different ways they can provide feedback.

6. "Great company over all, amazing culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great company - cool, exciting projects/clients - awesome people

Cons

Nothing major to note. Overall positive.

November 5, 2020

Thank you for your great response! It’s always great to hear from our current Connectors as well as former Connectors! We’ve been focused this year, even with the challenges that have come with the pandemic, on how our Connectors can make client and product impact. I’m glad you are seeing the results with cool and exciting projects and clients. If you have ideas or suggestions that can make Connected better please let me know directly (or through your leadership). We want every Connector to feel the way you do!

7. "it was good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Connected part-time for less than a year

Pros

career growth opportunity and growth in organization

Cons

it was good no cons

November 9, 2020

Thanks for your feedback. We’re guessing that you worked with us as an intern or co-op given your reference to part-time. We love our interns because it’s a great way to live our values of teacher and learner - you learn from us at the same time you are teaching us. We’ve really been focusing on sharing growth opportunities for our amazing Connectors. And with our company growing those opportunities keep expanding too! Keep in touch and let us know when you’re finishing up school and looking for your next role!

8. "Amazing place with amazing people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome projects and great environment

Cons

Work from home limitations NDA super strict

Continue reading

May 13, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for your positive review. And really glad that you’re calling out our great projects and great people. We’re laser-focused on those two things. Stay tuned for our QBR (quarterly business review) next week for more discussion and updates on company strategy. Thanks, Mike

"Times have dramatically changed at Connected"

1.0
    Current Employee - Leader in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Connected full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The high quality people that work here.

Cons

Leadership .. they have lost there way

Continue reading

April 21, 2020CEO

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way. While these are tough times for us all, I’ve personally never felt more confident in Connected’s leadership. I’ve seen our leaders be tested in the last couple of months more than any time before in their careers. And from my vantage point, I’ve never felt more inspired by their dedication and their abilities. Our mission, values, clients and people are being focused on like never before. As for my leadership, time will tell. I’d love concrete feedback - please reach out to me or share anonymously in our internal make-it-better feedback form. And finally, as a leader yourself, I would encourage you to use your voice internally to drive the change you want to see. If you need help figuring out how to do that then please ask me. - Mike

10. "Strong Consultancy"

Current Employee - Growth

I have been working at Connected full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Culture, great projects - the company has a great track record in hiring smart practitioners.

Cons

Needs more private spaces to work.

February 5, 2020CEO

Thank you for your review! I’m so happy to hear that your experience is positive and that you’re enjoying the projects that you’re working on. I agree that our practitioners are incredibly smart and it’s so rewarding to see the big impact they are having on our clients and the products that we build. Thanks for recommending we add more private workspaces, we’re working on it :)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 49 English Reviews