Charitable Impact Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2020

3.4
Charitable Impact Founder and CEO John Bromley (no image)
John Bromley
  1. "Great Team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Charitable Impact full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful team. Great company culture. Everyone works hard and feels responsibility for their work, so there's no micro managing. Exciting growth for the company up ahead, so lots of opportunity for cool projects.

Cons

Need better communication across teams, but they are taking active steps in improving this.

Charitable Impact2019-06-04
  2. "No Direction"

Former Employee - Business Development in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, Technology Support, Location, Casual Atmosphere

Cons

No Future Growth, Poor Leadership, Changes focus and direction too often

Charitable Impact2020-04-17
  3. "Love being here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Charitable Impact full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at CHIMP for about 18 months and enjoy it here now as much as I did when I started. The people are authentically kind, there is virtually no gossip and we're quite good at straightforward conversations and handling conflict. The mission of the organization is one that I believe strongly in and I feel like I have the freedom to do my part in realizing that mission. I feel very proud to work here and very lucky to work with the people I work alongside. Highly recommend working here.

Cons

The place isn't perfect - nowhere is - but i feel like there's a shared priority on fixing things, trying to be self aware, apologizing where needed, and communicating in as straightforward and kind a way as possible. I'm grateful for that (and realize that this is not a con but I've written so I'll leave it) Oh, and the benefits aren't all that great but the salaries are very competitive.

Charitable Impact2019-01-25

"Great place for specific roles"

2.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the reviews on Glassdoor for CHIMP are extreme, either positive or negative. I hope I can deliver a balanced review that reflects my year plus experience at CHIMP. --- The vision at CHIMP is excellent. There is a clear vision, it's been well thought out and aligns to CHIMP's "why." In the time that I was there the communication of the vision was consistent and clear. In my experience, not many companies have this. What CHIMP is trying to accomplish is noble and pure. If you want to have a positive impact on the world with your work, CHIMP is a great place to be. The people are great, everyone I met wants to take CHIMP further and are very kind. The standard of quality at CHIMP is very high. If you want to be pushed to produce your best work, CHIMP is possibly an attractive place for you.

Cons

There are too many silos within the teams. In the 14 months, I was there; there was little collaboration between teams. Departments, especially Design, worked within silos keeping work secretive and opaque. There was little to no feedback in 14 months. They implemented a quarterly feedback system, but despite investing time and effort into it, my managers did nothing with it. As I alluded to in the title, CHIMP is an excellent place for specific roles. CSM, Marketing, Finance If you're in Customer Succes, Marketing or Finance CHIMP might be an excellent place for you. Design For Design, I think it would depend on what you want from a team and the experience. If you want to work with a cross-functional team and collaborate with Product, Engineering and other groups this might not be for you. If your goal is to work with a high performing Design team and want to spend the majority of your time working with other designers, then this might be the right team for you. Product & Engineering For Product and Engineering (in Vancouver), I would avoid CHIMP. At the time I left there was no clear vision for Product or Engineering within the Vancouver office. Leadership are focused on a more waterfall approach to product development. Most of the product and engineering team is in India, so there's a 12-hour timezone challenge.

Charitable Impact2019-01-30

"Outsource and fire everyone"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice downtown location Good perks (benefits, fridays at 4, no need to work hard at all) Talented colleagues

Cons

Weak leadership Politics No career development Low pay

Charitable Impact2018-09-27

"Great coworkers but not enough to distract from deeply flawed leadership"

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers. Lots of opportunities to socialize and have meaningful conversations with people. Great office location. (Depending on your team) flexibility with regard to work hours and working from home.

Cons

I can only echo what a lot of other reviewers have already expressed. I loved my coworkers working at Chimp: talented, genuine, respectful people, who I loved to have lunch with or get together for a drink on Fridays. I can't say I had the same fond feelings for most of Chimp's senior leadership. The ethical issues others mentioned – including sexual harassment allegations from a number of female employees that never were properly addressed to my knowledge – were concerning (to say the least). To some degree, I only realized in retrospect – working in an environment now where I am trusted and respected – how harmful and downright unproffessional some of senior leadership's actions and commments really were. In addition, senior leadership's inability to implement ideas and the constant shift in priorities led to a feeling of stagnation and lack of direction. Most of the time, my work felt like "one step forward, three steps back". This review is only a reflection of my personal experience, but personally I can't recommend to anyone to work for this company unless things have dramatically changed.

Charitable Impact2018-08-01

"A place to master all management faux-pas!"

2.0

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a place to master management faux-pas (employee gender discrimination, lack of management accountability and transparency, poor business ethics, how NOT to create a toxic culture in your team) this is the place for you. Great office view. Comprehensive health benefits package. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Lack of career advancement in a "clicky" male-dominated office. Lack of senior management transparency and honesty. No formal employee performance review system in place which shows the company's lack of commitment with educating their employees and keeping them long term. Overall, Chimp is a place that looks nice on paper but it soon becomes a toxic environment.

Charitable Impact2018-06-28

"High Potential, but Lost on Execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Charitable Impact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful office, in a wonderful location The people were amazing (until all the good ones left) Innovative product

Cons

I came into Chimp 110% believing in the product and the vision and truly supportive and inspired on how Chimp was going to change the landscape of charity. Throughout my time, I saw a lot of change and what was a relaxed, beautiful culture turned into something more corporate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as some of it was required to let the business grow, but it quickly became a game of "you'll do well if you're a Yes Man" and that's what happened. It became a bit of a boys' club with the managers who wanted to move up the chain (which he did but didn't know how to do anything on the platform) and the Leadership Team. There were some ethical issues that happened, but never addressed and when confronted, it became more of a "perspective" as to whether it was ethical. It was extremely sad what this company turned into.

Charitable Impact2018-05-30

"Changing the world is good"

I have been working at Charitable Impact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible Good compensation Great benefits Able to build a future for yourself and the community you live in. I love that you can work at a company that wants to solve huge problems. Opportunities are incredible if you are ready to lean in. Going to be fun over the next decade.

Cons

Always difficult to work in a changing environment but technology and solving massive global problems are always going to create rapid change. Armour yourself and embrace that and it'll be fantastic.

Charitable Impact2017-11-28

"A unique place, with a real opportunity to change the world, where you can also learn and grow."

4.0
     in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Charitable Impact for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve been with CHIMP for over three years and it has been a journey of continuous growth, both professionally and personally. CHIMP provides a unique and rare opportunity to become fluent and experienced in the areas of charity, finance, and tech. CHIMP has a fun work environment filled with intelligent and diverse people with great personalities. There is a strong degree of autonomy, flexibility, and freedom to do your work. Our CEO's willingness to take risks and make mistakes trickles down throughout the organization and encourages team members to bring their best selves to work, while also creating an environment where people are empowered to share their opinions and feedback. Our CEO is also always open to discuss business matters or even just catch up over a beer at Fridays at Four (our weekly company social time). It is great to work in an open office with accessible and supportive coworkers but it is also nice to have the ability to work from home one day a week; providing a balance and space for uninterrupted strategic work / thinking. There is a lot of opportunity at CHIMP, both vertically and horizontally, especially for those willing to step outside their role descriptions and take on additional responsibilities. There are also professional development opportunities, both internally and externally (although the org can do a better job of instilling this throughout the company). I guarantee you’ll learn something new every day!

Cons

We strive to be a donor (customer) focused company, but this mindset is not entirely adapted throughout the entire organization. Change is inevitable and has not always been managed well at CHIMP. If you struggle with dealing with ambiguity and adaptability - you may find the working environment difficult at times. Trust has been an issue at CHIMP and as a result, we are not as fast as we should be in some areas; approvals, signoffs, and budgets. However, as a young company that is maturing, inroads are being made in this area. Authenticity can sometimes be an issue. CHIMP doesn’t always acknowledge when things are not going well or there are challenges. Glossing over things doesn’t work because people can tell when others are not being genuine.

Charitable Impact2017-11-28