Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 5 Dec 2019

2.8
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories CEO Mark Lesinski
Mark Lesinski
Pros
  • "Interesting work and opportunities for self-directed projects(in 9 reviews)

• "Great pay, flexible schedule, great people, lots of really cool research, close to outdoor adventures abound(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots of red tape, projects are slow moving(in 9 reviews)

• "I am so happy with CNL and I do not have any Cons towards my job(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great time"

Former Employee - Summer Research Student

I worked at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time

Pros

Cons

Not a con for me...but you have to love the outdoors. I have also heard its not as enjoyable in the winter

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-09-19
  2. "glad to be gone"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great drive into work, fair compensation

Cons

no trust, don't treat their employees with respect

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-12-05
  3. "The company has gone down."

I have been working at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are reasonable.

Cons

Bad management causes unnecessary stress and sickness of employees. Nepotism is managed improperly causing employee morale to suffer. Employee job security is very low. The pension plan is not that good. The company does not value its long-time employees at all. This company was one of the best for a long time. Unfortunately, from employee perspective, the GOCO model has brought the company down and many... good employees have left. I see some major problems with the GOCO model implemented in Chalk River: I look at the company as a family. The boss of the company is the head of the family. He must keep the family together and care about the family’s well being. However, he himself is temporary. He is temporary so he focuses more on short term gain and short-term profit than long term sustainability. He is temporary so himself he doesn’t feel attached to the family.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. This is what makes a workplace a great place to work.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-11-12
  4. "Cool, old stuff"

Current Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Pinawa, MB

I have been working at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very interesting stuff to be working on. Lots of older equipment which lends itself to learning experience for a younger guy in the trade.

Cons

Driving to and from to Pinawa Manitoba can be taxing in winter.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-10-24

"Good place and people, but is on the decline."

Current Employee - Training in Chalk River, ON

I have been working at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great outdoor lifestyle, great life work balance, great pay, great people.

Cons

Company is downsizing. Lots of people recently let go with many more in the future.

Advice to Management

Stop talking with rose coloured words. This place is shrinking and opportunities are leaving, so are good people.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-10-22
  6. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Pros

The people are awesome and compensation is above average.

Cons

Cutbacks layoffs, restructuring, future uncertainty

Advice to Management

Na

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-10-04
  7. "Good Starting Job"

Current Employee - Technical Officer

I have been working at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time

Pros

Fair salary, interesting work, nice place to live

Cons

inefficiently run company, lazy company culture

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-09-28
  8. "Company Rife with poor Ethics and Morals"

Former Employee - Hssq&E Worker in Chalk River, ON

I worked at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The salary was very good.

Cons

Department I worked for was lead by unqualified and incompetent leadership and never appreciated their subject matter experts. The company regularly violated various ethical standards while sacrificing the safety of employees by willful disregard of fire industry best practices standards and codes. Poor work-home life balance. Fire management changed incident reports and lied to investigators regularly.... The company also is rife with nepotism and old boys club. Male managers regularly belittle female employees. Managers single out employees and intimidate them when they are asked to violate rules and policies. Management only follows policies, procedures and code standards when convenient. Micromanagement is systemic.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incompetence and strive for better. Keeping bad managers forces good employees to leave. Don't settle for mediocrity when there is so much potential to excel. The company really could be a good place to work.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-10-31

"Used to be good, but not anymore"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chalk River, ON

I worked at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, friendly workers, interesting work, pension better than most other industries (but below par for nuclear). Pay is on par with other industries (but below average pay for the nuclear industry) GoCo model helped in increasing work efficiency and I was optimistic about it as things used to be okay up but lately things changed to the worse.

Cons

Safety is preached every day, but it is obvious that the company is extremely schedule driven. I had some good managers in the past that I learned a lot from them. However, now if you're a manager it just means you get to pump your chest and boss people around. Some employees are unfairly treated through bogus performance reviews, poor communication and contradictory instructions. If you do good work, you... don't get any praise, instead your manager would get the credit. If you make mistakes you get yelled at and told that it was your fault for not consulting with management. I think that sub-contractors are paid outrageous amounts of money but permanent employees are underpaid compared to the industry. Travel is horribly restricted even if it is required for work. Satellite sites get very little support (out of sight out of mind mentality). Also, Chalk River life is only good if you are absolutely in love with outdoor activities to the point that you day dream about it. If you like it any less then you will hate living in the area.

Advice to Management

This used to be a good place to work, but it is not anymore in my opinion. I think that a major mentality change (on all levels; management and line employees) is required to get this place back in shape. Start here. Walk the talk. Safety trumps the schedule. Involve your technical employees in building your project schedules. The deadlines are completely made up and random. High performers are overworked... and not appreciated. Provide support to them, instead of blaming them for the small mistakes they make when overworked. Review your pay rates for contractors, and double check their work. Promote accountability; implement a system so that if you're useless you are out, if you are a high performer you get a bonus.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-09-29
  10. "Great place to jump start career"

Former Employee - Design Analyst

I worked at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart People Lots of Room to Grow Good Working Hours Good Benefits

Cons

Pay was below average Location Career progress resembles that of government. Mapped out from the start.

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories2019-09-16