BrainStation Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2021

4.0
BrainStation Founder & CEO Jason Field (no image)
Jason Field
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Excellent team and fantastic energy!"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BrainStation part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone wants to be there and shows up daily. The team they've built is the best-of-the-best and they exude excellence. It's fun to be around leaders in the field!

Cons

My contract was just too short! I wish I could have been there longer but as a TA we're only able to stick around for 3 months.

2. "Fine"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I worked at BrainStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, good place to break into tech world

Cons

At the time there was high turnover and confusion in direction. Since leaving, they seem to be on a growing trajectory which is nice to see

3. COVID-19

"Used to be great"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at BrainStation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some great colleagues. I made some long lasting friendships at BrainStation (you will bond over how bad leadership is) - Cool office in great location - Some nice perks before Covid

Cons

First, be aware of the reviews left by Teaching Assistants as they have a very different experience from the permanent employees. BrainStation leadership has unfortunately ruined what used to be a great company to work for. The biggest example of this is the extremely high turnover. Since a certain VP arrived a year ago, the sales team has seen nearly 100% of people leave. This should be a major red flag to anyone considering BrainStation. Seriously, try to find someone that isn't in leadership and is still there after 2 years. Turnover in other departments is unusually high as well and unfortunately, the Konrad and BrainStation leadership don't care (it seems like they actually plan for it). They would rather cycle through eager new grads so they can overwork them in repetitive roles with no opportunity for growth, then watch them leave once they get frustrated enough. They will then post fake reviews or ask eager new hires to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor so they can repeat this plan instead of actually improving. Overall, leadership is a joke and the employees end up suffering. All the leaders are good friends so they don't hold each other accountable and they just reinforce each other's poor management. It's hard to see things changing with the current leadership in place. Due to this, the culture at BrainStation is horrible. Teams are siloed and don't try to support each other in any way, Diversity and BIPOC initiatives don't exist (and it shows), and transparency is a foreign concept here. If you plan to work at BrainStation, get used to reading between the lines and playing politics to advance. I've seen management actively make the jobs more difficult for those they don't like and set them up for failure so they can fire them eventually. All that being said, if you are a new grad who is desperate for a job, this is a decent place to break into tech if you need to. Just don't plan to stay longer than 1.5 years and don't join if you aren't a new grad. Even if your title changes through a promotion, your actual role will stay the same so your career growth will stall. There is a reason you will never find BrainStation or Konrad on any "Great Place to Work" or "Top Companies" lists. For context, this review is not from someone who was let go or underperformed at BrainStation - in fact, I really enjoyed working there at one point.

Continue reading

"Sweet opportunity that turned very sour"

1.0

I worked at BrainStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll meet some really great people, but they're all jaded (you'll bond over this!). Be wary of the employees who have been there for awhile, they're either: 1. Personal connections/friends of leadership 2. Related to leadership 3. Drinking the kool-aid (literally took this from another review cause company culture hasn't changed) Free courses, but you can Google everything that is in the course material. You could start your career here but grow your career somewhere else.

Cons

Google "Toxic Work Environment" and BrainStation hits the nail on all the signs of one. I'll highlight some: Poor Communication: Lack of direction and clarity for projects. Lack of alignment on policies between departments. Communication between departments is slow. You have to go through multiple people just to get a decision on how to move forward with your own work. Bad Leadership: One word - micromanagers. They don't trust their employees and leave them feeling disempowered and incompetent. In my opinion, VPs and Directors have their titles just so that it looks better in emails when they're talking to potential partners. Leadership consists of white men and a few women who are surprisingly just like the men. They are all uninspiring, demotivating and under appreciate their employees. There was one CEO who mispronounced people's names at every Town Hall meeting. He couldn't bother to ask how to pronounce their names before presenting. High Turnover: They're always hiring because they can't keep good employees and they fire people for no reason. Work-Life Balance: No Work From Home policy before COVID (surprising for a tech company). Prefer employees who work more than 9-5:30 and willing to work late and on the weekends. Management also gets pushy when RSVPs are low for events. Burnout: This company will deplete your creative and positive juices. You can be the best employee, but won't get promoted until your senior is fired or leaves. They don't want to see you win here! They just want results and yes men. No intention to promote Diversity and Inclusion (no programs or committee). Lack of BIPOC in all teams. No formal feedback for management or leadership. Excludes non-salaried staff (TAs and Campus Coordinators) in almost all team events and staff lunches. Feedback and reviews are a joke, very vague and you leave wondering what exactly do you have to work on to progress in the company. More to say, but a job is a job. They're expanding and need more people so this is just a warning on what you could expect.

5. "Great company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Buissness Development Representative

I worked at BrainStation full-time

Pros

Culture, Mission, Opportunity, Experience, Leadership

Cons

Repetition, Hours, Targets, No Commission

6. "Hard to say"

Former Employee - Student in Toronto, ON

I worked at BrainStation full-time

Pros

Independent, Good networking, Company culture, Management, Mission

Cons

Hours, Pay, Growth, Systems, No remote option

Continue reading
  7. "Best tech company to work for!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BrainStation full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Autonomy to work on your own initiatives - Caring team - Full transparency - Plenty of opportunity for growth

Cons

- More structure when it comes to new initiatives

8. "Inspiring organization with a great mission!"

Current Employee - Growth in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BrainStation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people! You’re part of a smart, talented and incredibly hard working team that challenges you ever day. It’s incredibly fulfilling to consistently reach new milestones as a result of the work you put in as a group. Our mission. We’re committed to empowering one million people by 2025 and everything we do is in pursuit of that goal – innovating new products, growing campuses, growing our team, and more. It’s not hard to wake up each morning and feel inspired by the work you do. Our commitment to excellence. We have an unparalleled dedication to producing exceptional products, world class experiences and above all else outstanding outcomes for our students.

Cons

We’re a young organization that’s committed to making our mark on the world. Like most younger companies in hyper-growth you experience change quick and often and thats not for everyone. You have to be someone who thrives in a truly fast paced environment and derives satisfaction from delivering outcomes.

Continue reading
  9. "A dynamic and exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Product

I have been working at BrainStation full-time

Pros

BrainStation is a dynamic and fast-growing business which offers tons of opportunity and new things to learn. The founder and leadership care deeply about the company's mission and have made smart moves to drive the long-term success of the business. The team is energetic, smart, and fun. They making coming into work each day rewarding.

Cons

The fast-paced environment means that priorities can change rapidly and, for some, this can be difficult at times. Personally, I enjoy the challenges of working in a growing business!

10. "Working at BrainStation"

Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at BrainStation full-time

Pros

- Rewarding to help students and see them grow - Pretty laid back environment

Cons

- Very much business first, school second - Very bureaucratic (understandable to be a school)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 English Reviews