Best Version Media Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.7
Best Version Media Chief Executive Officer Dave Durand
Dave Durand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company culture at Best Version Media is unmatched" (in 70 reviews)

• "Best Version Media is an Opportunity to start your own business, but also have the support of others so you do not feel like you are alone" (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "I definitely plan on making a career with Best Version Media" (in 18 reviews)

• "No cons except you should have some income to live off of for at least three months as you work on getting commitments to get you to print" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun, Positive, and Successful Place to Work"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BVM has grown tremendously in the past few years. The success of the publisher field is incredible and in turn, the culture at BVM is positive, encouraging, and packed with tools for success. If you are looking for a place where team-work and independence intersect, this could be for you. Upper management is trusting, and you work for what you want out of your job. There is no hand-holding, but rather realistic expectations and dutiful reward.

BVM always tries to go above and beyond and it shows day-in and day-out. They are consistently working on ways to build the team and there is always someone to talk to if you need.

Overall, a wonderful place to work!

Cons

None for my role personally.

Advice to Management

None

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, meet great people, be someone who connects people & businesses.

Cons

You have to be self-motivated!!

Advice to Management

None

3. "I worked at BVM for less than a year"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great support from management

Cons

For anyone who hasn't worked a strictly commission based job before it's difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best!

"Great Company - Even Better People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, ON

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time

Pros

I wake up every morning excited to go into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The company culture at Best Version Media is unmatched. It is always a positive work environment where everyone feels valued and appreciated. I have all the support I need without being micromanaged and am trusted to do my job.

Cons

I can't think of any

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - Publisher in Halifax, NS
    Current Employee - Publisher in Halifax, NS

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In control of your schedule, meet lots of people, you become connected. No money involved in start up.

Cons

it takes time to build but with consistent work it happens quickly, more quickly than most businesses.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting us. I love the incentives, the training and the positive culture.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Whitby, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Account Executive in Whitby, ON

I worked at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

0 pros, they lie about the posted positions, and the job they hire you for is not the one you applied for.

Cons

They don't respond to email inquiries, you don't earn the first 5000$ you make in sales, you're basically working for nothing for the first few months. Terrible company, would not recommend to anyone. They also don't give the address of your work and is very sketchy

"Don't Believe the Hype"

Current Employee - Publisher in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Publisher in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Best Version Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own ours....sort of.

Cons

Where do I start?

Advice to Management

Tell people the truth

"Market Manager and Publisher"

Current Employee - Market Manager and Publisher in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Market Manager and Publisher in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you want to start your own business, receive the proper support to do so and get to know your community better. I have experienced such amazing support not only from the BVM team, but from the communities where I publish my magazines. People love to read them from front to back and think the familiarity of knowing the family on the cover is very unique and brilliant! I enjoy being my own boss and providing a product to my community that they find refreshing and a joy to read.

Cons

Cold calling is not always fun and the worst part of the job, but that's sales for you. The more you connect with your advertisers and community, the more referrals you will receive. These are the best advertisers as they already believe in your product before you speak with them.

Advice to Management

Keep motivating us all! Your message is simple and applies to everything we do in life. Get your head straight every day and some days are better than others. Give yourself a break when you've not had a good day, but don't give up. Start anew the next day with a fresh perspective and a drive to push beyond your limits.

"Great company great people"

Current Employee - Publisher in Kelowna, BC
    Current Employee - Publisher in Kelowna, BC

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of support when needed

Cons

No downsides except what you put in you get out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you have been doing

"You get out of it what you put into it!"

Current Employee - Publisher (II Magazines)
    Current Employee - Publisher (II Magazines)

I have been working at Best Version Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An emotional commentary.:
    In no particular order ...
    - A bad day in this business is better than any good day I had as an 'employee' in other organizations.
    - Ability to truly make your own schedule. It is a work-hard-play-hard kind of place. I might work 80 hours 1 week but do not than feel guilty when I take the next week off to travel, or days off during the week to help my family members with medical appointments, or adding extra days to make long weekends.
    - Connect with your personal and business community on level that you've never known before. In just this past year I have met with over 800 business owners within the City I serve and, even if they are not Sponsors of my magazines, my name is now known around the City. I am able to join people toghether so they can make meaningful connections with each other and drive their businesses forward.
    - Possiblly more important than the ROI of our Sponsoring Businesses, the Residents featured on our front covers are elevated to celebrity status in their neighbourhoods. Old friends are being reunited, health survival stories are sharing hope, and budding entrepreneurs are getting much needed exposure in their backyard.
    I could go on and on and on .....

Commentary about the business opportunity:
    -Yes, it is true, you do not get paid until your magazine is in print. That could take 7 days or 7 months depending on the time and energy you devote to the process (how many phone calls are you making?, how many appointments are you hosting?, how many contracts are you signing?). But your start up fee to open a magazine is time and energy; not $s. With any other new business (franchise, private enterprise, or otherwise) there would always be a monetary start up fee (licensing, rent, inventory, etc, etc) that would put you in the hole before you even make profit. With this opportunity, if you try and don't succeed then all you've lost is time (and maybe the travel money that got you to training). If you can fight through the initial pause in your income stream, the benefits on the other end are worth the wait. I put this commentary in the Pro column because, though it is harder than any other career opportunity I have had, the pride and accomplishment that is felt when you hold your completed magazine in your hand is 100% worth the effort.

Cons

This opportunity is not for the weak. You will hear a lot of Nos. Some less polite than others. People will think you are crazy for 'working for free' to launch a magazine. This opportunity is not for you unless you are willing to stick with and trust the process that has benefited the many Publishers that have succeeded. Believe me (and the many other positive reviews that can be read on this site), this opportunity is real ... but it will not just be handed to you. You must have discipline and a courageous drive to find success.

Advice to Management

I am happy to see the open and honest responses, from the BVM Head Office team, to the extremely negative reviews posted on this site. Some of which are just plain rude. Having read the majority of these reviews before posting my own, it is my opinion that the lower ranked reviews are being posted by people who were expecting a quick fix. They need to blame someone for their failed attempt and are directing that anger at BVM. BVM is very clear about the effort and energy that it takes to be successful as a Publisher and provides the training, guidance and support necessary to succeed. One must only get over their own ego to ask for help and embrace this amazing opportunity that has legitimately changed lives of our Publishers and readers alike. So, for all of the nay-sayers - I am sorry that the opportunity failed you. But, instead of spraying your negativity in this online space, I suggest that you get your reevaluate the opportunity and try again or just pick up and move on to a more suited opportunity.