Baringa Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent work life balance compared to peers (in 9 reviews)

• The people at this company are second to none (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance can be difficult to achieve in any consultancy and leadership don't always set the best example (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours and travel are an intrinsic part of consultancy work (in 9 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Fantastic collaborative culture with extremely talented staff.

Cons

Like all consulting, projects can vary and travel can be tiring.

2. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart and high-calibre colleagues
    Amazing client base -- all the key names you would hope to be working with are there
    Non-hierarchical structure
    Interesting and intellectually challenging projects

Cons

Can be long hours and intensive work, but that is the nature of Management Consulting

Advice to Management

Maintain the unique culture as the company grows

"Good place to work, but losing focus on what really matters"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some really nice colleagues to work with
    -A healthy amount of social events, including a company weekend away in a nice resort, and a black tie party dinner
    -Relatively flat structure
    -Although the brand has little recognition, the marketing team is working hard on putting the name out there

Cons

-Too much emphasis on pushing the "we are such a cool place to work" message
    -New branding looks much less professional
    -Uneven new hire quality across different business units
    -Managers will not hesitate to throw you under the bus (but that's a standard in the industry)
    -While they pretend to care of your work life balance, the reality is very different and there is no regard for your time, private life, or prior commitments (again, an industry-wide issue).

Advice to Management

Focus on being (and looking like) a professional services firm. Our image should not be that of an NGO that is going to save the world, but rather of a consulting firm.

"Like a glove?"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baringa is full of positive energy and can-do attitude. The workforce is young, dynamic and keen. This is a company that could grow to a large company, and does indeed have those aspirations

The management ask for input, and seem to really care, and they are really desperate to make sure you fit in...

Cons

High on Baringa's agenda is making sure you fit their mould. They are big fans of "letting you have your say" but ultimately if you disagree with the management diktat then they will find some clever words to force their perspective.

Also high on the agenda is forced fun. Be prepared (again) to fit in, or die trying. Whilst summer parties, picnics and free lunches sound great on paper, socialising with 500 identikit consultants wears thin. Very quickly.

Baringa's partners and employees are well meaning, they just don't really understand different points of view.

The work life balance here is awful, and at times for no good reason. Be prepared for six month solo assignments in a far flung English towns with little to no support. You have been warned!

Advice to Management

There is more talent out there than just employing horsey ex public school Accenture clones. Please, please broaden your perspective.

Oh and throwing your money around is not the only way to make your employees like you.

Finally, all those tall tales of a family like atmosphere and a close knit community will fall by the wayside with your expansion plans. Before long all that will be left is yet another big beast consultancy firm with younger more dynamic companies snapping at Baringa's heels.

Baringa Partners Response

19 Jul, 2017 – Partner and People Lead

As the Partner responsible for our People agenda at Baringa, I can confirm that I’ve never ridden a horse, let alone owned one, and went to the local comprehensive school. It is our belief that the... More

"A great place to start my career"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few key things stick out for me:

- A company of incredibly high caliber people
     - A culture that promotes collaboration, inclusiveness and excellence
     - High investment into learning and development, and knowledge management
     - A strong reputation with clients
     - An entrepreneurial attitude developing the company for the
         future

Cons

'What's Baringa?' - a question that gets asked occasionally, but more infrequenctly as we grow

Advice to Management

Keep us ahead of the curve, and work to prevent us becoming 'just another consultancy' as we grow

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

-Transparency of staffing, company performance and future strategy
    - Support from senior team members - like nothing I have experienced anywhere else
    - Compensation for out of town working and long commutes
    - Team socials and activities
    - Ability to discuss options for your next project
    - Variety of work - unlike larger consultancies, there are plenty of smaller projects covering extremely interesting areas; not just large implementation projects

Cons

Sometimes teams can be very small, which is a big difference if you are coming from a larger consultancy - especially if working out of town.

"The Best Career Choice I Made"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Having spent over 5 years in industry working for a Large Energy Retailer, I moved to Baringa 4.5 years ago; I'm not one for propaganda but Baringa is genuinely the best employer I have worked for.
    Very few of my projects have been short term (mostly 3-18 months), giving me an opportunity to build relationships and work on a variety of interesting and stimulating topics. As a result I have grown and learned more about my chosen industry, and pushed myself to become better than I would have been otherwise. So in general, I'm absolutely delighted by my day to day job satisfaction.
    What's distinct from other consultancies I have worked for is the culture - it genuinely feels like management know who I am and appreciate my contribution. Moreover I can think of several examples where management has given me or colleagues the room to focus on my personal life (children, sickness etc.) and have openly encouraged me to let the day to day take a back seat: this gives me sense that they business wants to build loyalty, trust and invest in me over the longer term.
    There is a real entrepreneurial spirit here. That shouldn't be confused with commercial ruthlessness. It's better characterised as giving people the freedom to try, to treat this as their own business, and to fail without recrimination.
    There's loads more that I'm sure other reviews have alluded to; company events, general social scene etc.

Cons

There are some odd policies around compensation for those who live outside London. Therefore whilst I still get paid more than my peers in other organisations, I find myself paid less than or equal to London based employees of Baringa who are of a lower grade. The culture is also a little London-centric in general, so those who are not based in the City can feel isolated.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners (More than 8 years)

Pros

- caring consultancy where every employee is treated as an individual
    - truly collaborative way of working with clients
    - opportunity to work with some of the best people in the industry to deliver real change to clients

Cons

- work/ life balance can be difficult to achieve in any consultancy and leadership don't always set the best example

Advice to Management

Ensure that each new business unit and geography has the Baringa culture running through it

"Great company....but...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A great place to work compared to other consulting firms, with some very smart people and fantastic projects

- Socials and parties are second to none, to the point of sometimes being exhausting!

- Clients absolutely love Baringa and on (most) projects you can feel the difference you are making to their business

- Most of the senior leadership genuinely care about you and are open to new ideas

Cons

- Work life balance can be appalling, especially if your Partner / Director goes overboard trying to impress the client. The team then bears the brunt creating, formatting or polishing slides that may be thrown away, or the client doesn't care about.

- The 3 month promotion cycle can be a double edged weapon. You may be denied one this time just because the next one is just around the corner...

- Not as meritocratic as the senior leadership would like to think. Outstanding project delivery won't guarantee a promotion, being a Director / Partner's pet will.

Advice to Management

Act now on the feedback around work life balance. Baringa has a lot going for it so would be a shame to see it turn into just another factory of consultants.

11. "Still a great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being surrounded by great people, who really are the best at what they do.
    The client portfolio built through great delivery and results is impressive.
    You do not feel like a 'cog in the works'.
    Access to leadership is not an issue at all.
    You get a clear input to the roles you work on, helping ensure they tie in to your development needs

Cons

The promotion process can appear as slightly different across Business Units

Advice to Management

Continue providing the direct access and availability to everyone.