Baringa Partners Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Baringa Partners Managing Partner Adrian Bettridge
Adrian Bettridge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent work life balance compared to peers (in 9 reviews)

• The people at this company are second to none (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance can be difficult to achieve in any consultancy and leadership don't always set the best example (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours and travel are an intrinsic part of consultancy work (in 9 reviews)

"Recent joiner"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- nice / enthusiastic / smart colleagues
    - good learning opportunities
    - company genuinely cares about employees
    - company is growing

Cons

- Baringa brand fairly unknown
    - salary and benefits not on par with top consulting firms
    - office could be nicer. being spilt across two buildings not ideal
    - limited international opportunities
    - not that diverse in terms of nationalities

Advice to Management

Invest in building the Baringa brand and sending a clear and consistent message to clients.
    Hire software developers to build custom solutions.
    Diversify recruitment. Focusing on referrals does not promote diversity.

"Great company with and amazing culture"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture and surrounded by highly capable people in a collaborative environment.

Cons

Sometimes too nice with their feedback on performance.

"Not what you expect"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of young, ambitious and collaborative people

Cons

You are brainwashed every day about “Baringa culture” and how great the company is. You either fit or you must pretend to fit, there is no way to get time for yourself; this kind of "introverted" behaviour raises eyebrows.

Projects are usually short (10 weeks) and understaffed (somehow Baringa needs to be competitive against the big guys) so you end up working by yourself in random locations & definitely not on the most intellectually challenging tasks.

There is a lot of talk around senior management listening and trying to improve working conditions but actually it reminds me of George Orwell's "doublethink": they can tell you they care about work/life balance but actually do nothing about it and set a terrible example themselves.

Most of us joined because of the glassdoor reviews but what we found is quite different from what we expected. As the company expands I expect more and more reviews like this to be posted.

Consider yourself warned.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending this is an NGO and start trying to actually improve working conditions for your employees.

Baringa Partners Response

29 Nov, 2017 – Partner and People Lead

I am genuinely saddened to read this review and hear that you feel this way. I would ask that you please come forward and speak to me individually and confidentially; I’d like to understand your... More

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great company to work for and some of the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure of working alongside.

Cons

Out of town work was a bit of a killer

"Not a Great Place to Work! Definitely Not!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bunch of very enthusiastic people - or so they seem!

Cons

Very cliquey culture. If you do not blend in - you will be forced to pretend to be a part of the mix and enjoy it. Asking for some alone time – is a crime and will be remembered. It will come out in your reviews! If you want to hold on to your individuality, and do projects which challenge you intellectually, this company is not for you. Most of the projects are one man bands - people dropped into client environments to project manage an ongoing initiatives. No strategic thinking, no value add, no intellectual indulgence - you just end up managing risk logs and project plans! Beware - if you are intellectually inclined. For those who want an easy life and still call it consulting - this is the right place for you!

Favoritism is rampant, promotions go to people who learn the art of Brown nosing the decision makers, and feedback process is a joke! Feedback means - I will sit you down and tell you why you are completely useless! There is no positive reaffirmations, no words of encouragement, no development plans, just negativity in the name of feedback! Complete joke!

Advice to Management

The Baringa Bubble has burst. Please stop being in denial. Your leadership team is demoralising people. People are scared to speak out - as they know the consequences. They are even scared to say the truth in surveys - for fear of being identified. Your leadership team is vindictive - they single out people and take out their vengeance in creative ways! This has become a soul destroying place! Please wake up!

"Manager"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Fantastic collaborative culture with extremely talented staff.

Cons

Like all consulting, projects can vary and travel can be tiring.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart and high-calibre colleagues
    Amazing client base -- all the key names you would hope to be working with are there
    Non-hierarchical structure
    Interesting and intellectually challenging projects

Cons

Can be long hours and intensive work, but that is the nature of Management Consulting

Advice to Management

Maintain the unique culture as the company grows

"Good place to work, but losing focus on what really matters"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some really nice colleagues to work with
    -A healthy amount of social events, including a company weekend away in a nice resort, and a black tie party dinner
    -Relatively flat structure
    -Although the brand has little recognition, the marketing team is working hard on putting the name out there

Cons

-Too much emphasis on pushing the "we are such a cool place to work" message
    -New branding looks much less professional
    -Uneven new hire quality across different business units
    -Managers will not hesitate to throw you under the bus (but that's a standard in the industry)
    -While they pretend to care of your work life balance, the reality is very different and there is no regard for your time, private life, or prior commitments (again, an industry-wide issue).

Advice to Management

Focus on being (and looking like) a professional services firm. Our image should not be that of an NGO that is going to save the world, but rather of a consulting firm.

"Like a glove?"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Baringa Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baringa is full of positive energy and can-do attitude. The workforce is young, dynamic and keen. This is a company that could grow to a large company, and does indeed have those aspirations

The management ask for input, and seem to really care, and they are really desperate to make sure you fit in...

Cons

High on Baringa's agenda is making sure you fit their mould. They are big fans of "letting you have your say" but ultimately if you disagree with the management diktat then they will find some clever words to force their perspective.

Also high on the agenda is forced fun. Be prepared (again) to fit in, or die trying. Whilst summer parties, picnics and free lunches sound great on paper, socialising with 500 identikit consultants wears thin. Very quickly.

Baringa's partners and employees are well meaning, they just don't really understand different points of view.

The work life balance here is awful, and at times for no good reason. Be prepared for six month solo assignments in a far flung English towns with little to no support. You have been warned!

Advice to Management

There is more talent out there than just employing horsey ex public school Accenture clones. Please, please broaden your perspective.

Oh and throwing your money around is not the only way to make your employees like you.

Finally, all those tall tales of a family like atmosphere and a close knit community will fall by the wayside with your expansion plans. Before long all that will be left is yet another big beast consultancy firm with younger more dynamic companies snapping at Baringa's heels.

Baringa Partners Response

19 Jul, 2017 – Partner and People Lead

As the Partner responsible for our People agenda at Baringa, I can confirm that I’ve never ridden a horse, let alone owned one, and went to the local comprehensive school. It is our belief that the... More

"A great place to start my career"

I have been working at Baringa Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few key things stick out for me:

- A company of incredibly high caliber people
     - A culture that promotes collaboration, inclusiveness and excellence
     - High investment into learning and development, and knowledge management
     - A strong reputation with clients
     - An entrepreneurial attitude developing the company for the
         future

Cons

'What's Baringa?' - a question that gets asked occasionally, but more infrequenctly as we grow

Advice to Management

Keep us ahead of the curve, and work to prevent us becoming 'just another consultancy' as we grow