BDO Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

BDO Reviews

Updated Jan 18, 2020

2.7
BDO CEO Pat Kramer (no image)
Pat Kramer
Cons

"Great employer and awesome team in Ottawa"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at BDO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team and reasonable wages compared to industry

Cons

Work is less challenging than Big 4

BDO2018-12-17
  2. "BDO DARTMOUTH REVIEW! WORST WORKPLACE EVER!"

Former Employee - Accountant in Dartmouth, NS

I worked at BDO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Liked some fellow recent grads working with me in Tax & Audit.

Cons

1. I would not recommend this particular location for CPA students they don't offer support or allow ANY time off while your in the mods. 2. The culture at this office is highly toxic, this is a result of the tone from the top specially the partners who have been there before the takeover from BDO. 3. Repeatedly told that CPA grads are "dime a dozen" and easily replaceable 4. Favorites/hockey players are promoted over everyone else 5. Pay is awful and raises are even worst 6. Partners are very disrespectful towards other cultures. 7. No training is provided and you are expected to know everything. I would advice anyone from accepting a job offer from them. I would recommend any other firm except them.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees work life balance. Stop making everything about chargeable hours. Some people take more time to learn and that shouldn't make them disposable.

BDO2019-12-20
  3. "-"

Former Employee - Senior in Calgary, AB

I worked at BDO full-time for less than a year

Pros

More room for improvement in future

Cons

System and culture not good for staff

BDO2019-12-17
  4. "Good overall culture"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Montreal, QC

I have been working at BDO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance, decent pay, inclusive atmosphere, possibility to work remotely

Cons

Management styles are specific to certain teams. Its a gamble

Advice to Management

Train people and give them the opportunity to venture into hybrid job definitions

BDO2019-11-11

"Not that good"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BDO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like the people working there. Most of them are really down to earth and easy to get alone.

Cons

1. Salary is bad. 2. Overworked employee, the general business atmosphere is bad. 3. Not enough training provided to their employee. 4. No really work life balance.

Advice to Management

BDO is not as reputable as the other big 4 so there is no selling point here. When I joint the selling point of BDO was "work-life balance" however this culture has changed afterwards. Also you don't really have generous salary like smaller firms do so I am wondering what is the BDO' s selling point and why would people apply to your company but not other similar companies?

BDO2019-11-05
  6. "the worst nightmare ever. I would rate this place negative if such function is available."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at BDO full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you ever want a professional work environment, DO NOT GO THERE!

Cons

Having worked here in the past 2 years has been my worst nightmare. There is no fairness in how employees' performance is evaluated. You ended up with no recognition in your contribution at all, although you handled insane amount of workload, difficult clients and complex situations. I have seen how high-performance employees were driven out of the office because they get blamed for "working too hard" or "helping other employees too much". I have seen people who get promotion into management without qualifying as a Canadian CPAs. I have seen staff taking leaves after they are booked on engagements and still able to get away with it. I have seen managers disappearing on tight deadlines, leaving the staff struggling on files and still getting away with it. I have seen high-performance employees been driven to work restlessly and NOT getting promotion because according to the partners, they “worked too hard”. They proclaimed work-life balance. But a better question is who is getting the work life balance? Their favourable babies who get time to rest and promotion with easy effort; or the hardworking ones who spent 70 hours per week, fixing the issue in those high-risk files and getting no recognition? In the mid year, I came to a senior manager with my concern on favouritism. He told me that I should do self-reflect thinking why I am not the one being favoured for? Guess what, this senior manager also left them in the same year. I guess he found out that he was also not favoured for here. I discussed with staff about favouritism, everyone told me to shut up because it is a taboo here. It is happening, but everyone is too scared to talk about it. I even got threatened that if I brought this issue to HR, I would be forced to submit my letter of resignation. Personally, I really regretted working for this office and I know I am not the only one.

Advice to Management

I know that no management will ever pay attention to what happened in this office. Everyone is dispensable here. But if this office continues to operate in this way, it is a matter of time before this office gets into class action of lawsuits for workplace unfairness or discrimination in court. But BDO probably won't care about lawsuits either.

BDO2019-12-11
  7. "Awful Place"

Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON

I worked at BDO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salaries are competitive but that's all.

Cons

You have an arrogant CMO who is fake and treats people like he is still a professor. They do not practice what they preach regarding their core values.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and do not play games with people's career or compensation.

BDO2019-12-05

"Unsupportive management breeds toxic work culture"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Toronto, ON

I worked at BDO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, nice office, firm events

Cons

Inflexible work from home policy, managers don't care about staff, high expectations but minimal guidance

BDO2019-11-12
  9. "investment analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BDO part-time for less than a year

Pros

good for new grad developments

Cons

intense for new grad developments

BDO2019-10-28

"management has very limited understanding of people culture"

Current Employee - Junior Staff Accountant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at BDO full-time for more than a year

Pros

-regular pros of big 4, but less

Cons

-if you outperform others initially it will come back to haunt you - high turnover so lack of internal culture

Advice to Management

keep your staff close but not too close, shows over-commitment and to people that aren't as committed as management that comes off as a turn-off

BDO2019-10-13