Arm Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work life balance and vacation policy" (in 117 reviews)

• "good work environment, good management" (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • "bad work life balance / stressful most of the time" (in 22 reviews)

• "Company is growing extremely fast" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work & Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rejoined arm mainly due to its unique culture, values and transparent management.
    Good work life balance. Company cares for & treat employees as humans(people), not resource. Provides opportunities , challenges and support to come up with new ideas & methodologies. Provides special benefits for employees well being & development.

Cons

Pay is not upto the market.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for "What is right". Company is growing big and so new issues do come up. Collaboration is challenging with big head count and many teams working on delivering platforms & systems. Need to be very careful & never compromise. Remember, one drop of poison infects the whole tun of wine..

2. "ARM"

Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very friendly work environment!

Cons

Very boring campus life. Gives very corporate feel.

Advice to Management

Better on-campus benefits for employees.

3. "VP of Marketing"

Former Employee - Vice President, Marketing in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great range of experience across global market place. Early access to new technologies

Cons

Bit slow at address key issues

Advice to Management

Don't let things lie unresolved

4. "Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Noida (India)

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Open communication from the Executive committee

Cons

I don’t know much about other centres but people in Noida centre are very much biased . The so called management team at the centre has a lot of preconceived notions and promote people from their earlier organisations only .

Advice to Management

Please do something about power decentralisation at the centre .

5. "CPU Architecture Verification Engineer"

Current Employee - CPU Architecture Verification Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - CPU Architecture Verification Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many advantages joining such a wonderful organization.

Vacation Policy: Arm provides four weeks (20 days) of paid leave, with the option for the employee to purchase a fifth week. This is in addition to the 13 paid holidays throughout the year, so employees can have almost eight weeks of vacation a year! After 4 years of service, all employees receive a fifth week of vacation with the option to purchase a sixth week.

Sabbatical Policy: Arm employees earn a 4-week sabbatical after every 4 years of service that they have up to 1 year to use however they see fit. Many of our employees travel around the world, spend time with their families, or even catch up on their own personal projects involving Arm technology!

Employee Flex Pot: Arm employees are granted $8000 in a 12 month period (September-August) to spend for personal development. This could be for gym classes, skills training, certifications, etc.

Employee Referral Bonus: To encourage employee referrals, Arm offers a $3000 employee referral bonus that is payable within 90 days of the new hire's start date.

Opportunities to Network and Learn: Arm offers full time employee opportunities for career development by encouraging them to learn and network. We host annual conferences, such as the GGC - Global Graduate Conference, GEC - Global Engineer Conference and APM - Arm Partners Meeting, Global Sales and Marketing Conference, Global People Team Conference

Social Events: All employees are invited to the annual Summer and Holiday (Christmas) parties, in addition to several smaller milestone celebrations throughout the year. While not quite a social event, we also have many TeamArm events such as Dragonboat, volunteering at various Central Texas Food Bank and Big Brothers Big Sisters events. To make their internships more memorable, we host several social events including tubing, outings at Top Golf and ice cream socials throughout the summer.

Flexible work hours: We place a lot of trust in our employees, and offer a flexible work schedule. All work hours should still be communicated with the respective line manager, but trust is key.

Subsidized fitness classes: We care about our employees health, so at certain offices where the population is large enough, we offer subsidized fitness training classes.

ToastMasters: We provide Toastmasters classes and sponsorship to interested Arm employees.

Cons

Nothing as of now from my side.

6. "Arm - great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Arm full-time

Pros

Well paid
    Good company culture
    Company is doing very well
    Generous benefits
    Not as corporate as they could be

Cons

Still quite corporate
    Very large company, it's easy to feel like a small fish

Advice to Management

Make people feel empowered

"Great company, bright future, geographically dispersed"

Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Research Engineer in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Arm provides great benefits, which allow employees to just focus on how they can best contribute to the company. Great, collaborative company culture.

-- Competitive salary
    -- Good bonuses
    -- "FlexPot" benefit that help reimburse kid's college tuition, pay for personal growth, etc (thousand of dollars per year)
    -- GREAT time-off benefits (4-5 wks vacation, 4 wk sabbatical every 4 years)
    -- no-hassle business travel budgets
    -- respect for work-life balance

The company culture is very collaborative; all about "we, not I", so there are few problems with big egos. Everyone is helpful and cooperative. There isn't a significant divide between managers and employees; there is little emphasis on "hierarchy".

Cons

-- Dealing with disperse geographies (notably San Jose, Austin TX, and Cambridge England) creates challenges. Many people seem to report to someone whose office is thousands of miles away. It's not uncommon for someone in San Jose to report to a manager in Austin, who reports to someone in Austin, who reports to an executive back in San Jose. This works better for more senior people, who can work independently; new college grads need a lot more guidance so need to be co-located with their manager and others in their group.

-- some work areas are being changed from cubicles into Facebook-style long work benches, due to space constraints ... although I would never want to work that way, apparently new college grads don't mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the great company culture!
    And keep investing in R&D, in upcoming areas where Arm can compete well.

Arm Response

9 Jul, 2018 – Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor

As with any company there will always be challenges and areas for improvement. Individual team cultures can vary at times based on their leadership. However, the goal is to have a rich and fulfilling... More

8. "engineer director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good colleagues to learn from

Cons

The company is getting bigger and the support services could be improved

Arm Response

11 Jul, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Advisor

Hi,
    I realize the impact leaders can have and leading by example is where it needs to start. It’s important you feel empowered to provide constructive feedback to your management team to help them... More

9. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encourages employees to participate in open source, conferences etc.
    Flexible working hours.
    Good cash awards.
    Hacking days, Sabbatical.

Cons

Not many promotion opportunities and poor guidance on how to achieve a promotion.
    A tendency to use open source or acquire rather than building IP in-house.
    Technical challenges are few.
    Too many managers.

Advice to Management

Reduce number of managers. Merge some of the management roles (line manager, product manager, project manager, engineering manager).
    Promote people if they are eligible. Otherwise, give them good feedback on how to improve.

"A shadow of its former self"

Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great individuals to work with

Cons

If you're not 'arm shaped' don't bother... How's that for diversity!

Advice to Management

Cut out the nepotism, get back to the basics, stop believing your own hype