Arm Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Arm Interview Questions

Updated 13 Jul, 2018

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arm.

Interview

I applied on ARM website. I was contacted by HR 3 weeks later for a phone interview with two engineers. They were quite nice and friendly. The first few questions were on quite simple stuff (what is a pipeline, why is it used, what is cache, what is an MMU) but they implied other questions as we dug deeper into the subject (like give me a few examples of branch prediction algorithms etc.). Then they asked about the projects I did at school and during my professional experience year, but didn't go much deeper than that. They asked why I chose the internship I was interviewing for, and then I asked a few questions. They said they were quite satisfied, and that they planned on giving me a final answer 3 weeks later. There only was one round of interview for this position.

Interview Questions

• What is a pipeline? How many stages is there in general? why are we using this, why is it bad to have too many stages? What is branch prediction, what algorithms are used? How can one avoid waiting for the data to be stored in the memory, and use it right away? What is cache? why we use it? What is the access time of cache? what is a cache miss? How big is it (roughly)? What is an MMU? What is it used for?   1 Answer

Software Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arm.

Interview

Premier entretien après l'envoi de la candidature. On reçoit dans le mail un lien HireView valable trois jours ouvrables pour passer un entretien vidéo. Ce n'est pas un entretien en direct, mais enregistré.
    Des questions plus ou moins techniques sont posées.
    30 secondes de préparation pour chaque question, puis 3 minutes pour répondre.

Ensuite, j'ai eu un test de code assez simple ou il fallait compter le nombre de bits à 1 dans un nombre en décimal. Des tests sur les exemples simples sont fournis dans l'interface. Bizarrement, il n'y avait pas de limite de temps pour coder.

Principal Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Antibes (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Antibes (France)) in February-2012.

Interview

Il y a un test tres technique d'une heure puis on voit une dizaine de personne, chacun pendant 1/2 heure. Les questions lors des entretiens sont tres techniques et il y a des exercices a faire sur tableau: exercice de design, de software en langage C, un entretien en anglais pour voir le niveau.
    Ces tests de connaissances sont assez decorreles du travail de tous les jours, et ne permettent pas forcement de deceler le potentiel ni la motivation de quelqu'un.

Interview Questions

• A quoi sert la transforme de Fourrier d'une fonction ?   1 Answer
    • A quoi sert une MMU ?   1 Answer
    • Comment declare t'on un pointeur de fonctions en C?   1 Answer

Staff Memory Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grenoble (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Arm (Grenoble (France)) in April-2018.

Interview

Appel très rapide (35 min) par des manageurs très ennuyées. Aucune question sur mon expérience, que de questions sur les domaines ou je n'ai pas d’expérience. Un entretien juste pour tuer une candidature de trop. Arm est une grosse compagnie et ils disent recevoir beaucoup de CVs...

Interview Questions

• Est-ce que vous avez trouvé des différences entre votre précédent employeur (une industrie) et votre employeur actuel (un centre de recherche)   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arm.

Interview

The interviews followed a standard pattern:

- Phone discussion with a recruiter:
    The focus was on general career interests and goals. Along with how those interests and goals might align with the given job.

- Phone discussion with the hiring manager:
    This time the discussion focused on the job itself and how that might align with my career interests and goals. This was the first chance for me to dig deep with questions about the job to make sure I was interested. This part of the process usually determines if I'm interested or not in the job. In this case, it turned my interest up.

- Onsite interview:
    A series of 1hr interviews. There were 5 of them if I remember right. I also had lunch with the hiring manager.

Each interviewer focused on a different area. For example, one focused on general SoC architecture, another on software, another on debug, another on my previous projects and how I dealt with challenges, etc. etc. My impression was that they were more concerned with how I walked through and thought about different problems that were presented to me, and also if I have a solid history of good performance. Not so much on if I answered everything 100% accurately. Though, I'm sure I answer most of everything right.

There wasn't much overlap between the interviewers which means they actually prepared an interview strategy. That's a good thing, I've been in interviews where I would end up answering the same exact question 5 times from 5 different people! Last, the interviews were very conversational, it didn't feel like an interrogation. I was also allowed plenty of time to ask my own questions.

My impressions were very positive. In the past I've walked out interviews thinking "Wow, those folks were disorganized and didn't seem to know what job I was interviewing for...." I didn't have that feeling here.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some C questions. However the focus wasn't on programming something, it was more about understanding how different parts of memory are used within the program.   1 Answer

Arm Response

26 Jan, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had a great candidate experience and I look forward to seeing some great employee referrals from you going forward!

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arm (Austin, TX (US)) in March-2017.

Interview

The initial process was good . Most people were friendly and professional.
    There was 1 individual who kept asking questions which were not in my domain and which i had no idea of. I told him that i am not aware of that domain and he was still persistent with the questions. Basically i lost interest in the interview after that...

Interview Questions

• 1. project related
      2. cpu related   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arm (Olympia, WA (US)) in May-2012.

Interview

Expect to perform your knowledge of web development on the spot. You meet with a minimum of three people, one of whom will test your knowledge. You will have to write HTML on a white board and predict code on an existing website. The process is otherwise standard, list your best and worst qualities, etc.

Interview Questions

• The quizzing of archaic coding methods was the most difficult.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Plano, TX (US)) in March-2015.

Interview

Applied for the job, and a received an email from a recruiter asking if I was interested in working in the Plano office. After that I was scheduled for a phone interview the next week. The phone interview was scheduled to be an hour long, but only lasted 10-15 minutes. After the interview, the recruiter emailed me saying they were interested in a second interview at their office (Their company policy mandates that the interview and hiring process is handled by the recruiter so most of my communication was through the recruiter). The second interview lasted two hours. I was first interviewed by the office manager, and then I was interviewed by one of the application engineers. All of the technical questions were asked by the application engineer. However, the questions were more about my resume and what I had worked and was familiar with more than questions testing my knowledge. A couple of days after the interview I received a phone call from the recruiter telling me they thought the interview went well, and decided to offer me the position!

Interview Questions

• What was one instance where you struggled with a project, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What interests me? What would I want to work on during my time here?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think there was an opportunity to negotiate some of the terms of the offer, but I was very happy with the original offer so I accepted it immediately.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Arm in September-2016.

Interview

Online recorded questions and I was asked to record my answer to those questions. Horrible way of interviewing anyone. First of all some questions require more than the alloted time and may even require some clarification but there is no way, time is fixed for each answer and the questions are pre recorded so there is no one to one interaction.

Interview Questions

• Atomic Instructions, Branch prediction, setup and hold time   Answer Question

Arm Response

28 Jul, 2017 – Employer Branding and Social Media Intern

Thank you for your review and for interviewing at ARM. I am sorry that you did not have a positive candidate experience. ARM sees both the benefits and shortfalls of using digital or video... More

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Arm (Austin, TX (US)) in July-2010.

Interview

Applied online and then got an email from one of the technical engineers. First round of interview was fairly simple interview with basic computer architecture questions. Then, after that, a senior level engineer called with more computer architecture questions and a few questions on algorithms and c++ related questions. I think I answered them all correctly.

Interview Questions

• Why does Intel Pentium 4 has so many pipeline stages?   Answer Question
    • MOESI, what does they stand for? What about memory model? How to implement store commit in weak memory model?   Answer Question