Animal Logic Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2021

4.5
Animal Logic Managing Director Zareh Nalbandian (no image)
Zareh Nalbandian
Pros
  • "As their Motto goes - Great People Great Work(in 9 reviews)

• "great food, great people, great projects(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Short contracts, Animation pipeline is good but could be improved(in 6 reviews)

• "Work life balance doesn't exist - long hours 8-6 and no paid break(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A good crew to work with

Apr 12, 2021 - Production Assistant in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Excellent mentorship -Fun coworkers -Fair wages and treatment of OT -Nice location -A good sense of teamwork -Helpful and friendly IT team (the best I've worked with yet) -Fun projects -WFH has been extremely doable during COVID: quick turn-around times on errors and issues, well-scheduled work-from-studio options to keep the building safe

Cons

-OT a requirement for most production staff -Future Work From Home offers are unappealing given we've spent 1.5 years beefing up WFH viability and I want the option to continue with at least half time spent WFH

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company

Mar 1, 2021 - Character FX Artist in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

super cool place to work, friendly atmosphere, awesome projects

Cons

havent gor any negative things for this

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great company to push technical boundaries

Apr 29, 2020 - Senior Lighting Technical Director in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Heavy focus on RnD Great people and team culture Studio amenities (fortnightly lunch, Friday pastries, free espresso, etc)

Cons

Sometimes too much focus on building everything themselves instead of buying other solutions Large technical history and old code Lack of documentation - lots of “tribal knowledge”

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company

May 16, 2020 - Technical Director in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good social environment - Great people - Fairly organised compared to other studios - Robust pipeline compared to other studios

Cons

- Teething issues when the Vancouver studio first opened.

5. 5.0

Everything is Awesome!

Feb 15, 2019 - Technical Animator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working at AL, cannot recommend it enough. The social environment is positive and inspiring, the facility is beautiful, clean and well maintained, with an outdoor roof patio area for lunches or beer Friday time. They bring in free lunches every other Thursday and free breakfast every Friday. They even have an artist management team that checks in with you periodically to ask about your over all career goals at the company and offers ways to help you get there. Even after my contract ended, they continued to take care of me by sending my resume and reel out to other companies with their reverse recruitment program, and I started getting interviews right away, before I had even begun job hunting on my own. I appreciate that so much! Great projects, great people, great place to work.

Cons

We had to work some Saturdays during crunch time. There was rather alot of OT toward the end of the project, but I think that's become an industry standard unfortunately, and not really specifically a problem of this company.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Pleasant company to work for

Jan 14, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Solid and fairly well organised code base (for a production house) - Inspiring and fun environment, with plenty of highly knowledgeable experts - Decent benefits

Cons

- Slow adoption of newer technologies due to certain senior members - Lots of conflicting interests with no appropriate objective liaison between agents - Significant time difference between the two sites. - Lack of ability to work remotely. - Lots of proprietary systems that need support, but could be replaced with a better product (from job security aspect, this is a pro, I guess)

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Good Company for Animation Industry

Nov 2, 2019 - Production Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People cool projects fun office environment

Cons

Legacy technology can be a bit of a problem lack of transparency too many video calls with overseas office. hard to work that way

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work, 3D animation

Aug 22, 2018 - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The talent is great, and nice people to whether with

Cons

No room to grow, don't expect high raises.. If any. Get in high! Because that's all you'll get. Too many production people. Unecessarry .

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee

I've had a positive experience working for AL

Dec 16, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours and a large enough team to support the studio infrastructure. I actually feel like I have the support of my team and managers.

Cons

The communication between the locations in Sydney, Vancouver, and LA is still a work in progress. No clear indication on what to expect in the future.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun place, cool movies but no work life balance

Apr 19, 2017 -  in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Seems fun and simple yet nice staff perks like nice coffee machine, breakfast, beer friday and pastry thursday AM.

Cons

Work life balance doesn't exist - long hours 8-6 and no paid break. This adds up to quite a bit when calculated hourly over a year and salaries don't match this.

3 people found this review helpful