Affirm Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.5
Affirm CEO Max Levchin
Max Levchin
Pros
  • "Incredibly smart people, strong ethical leadership and making a difference in a small way for the improving the financial system(in 12 reviews)

• "Affirm offers great benefits, perks, and the off-sites are fun too(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "growing pains like communication issues and trying to preserve a principled and desirable culture(in 12 reviews)

• "At times there is a lack of work/life balance on some of the teams(in 8 reviews)

"Cool work, awesome people"

I worked at Affirm full-time

Pros

- High-impact projects - Lots of smart people around - Fun to hang-out with people outside of work

Cons

- Changes happening often - Not much else tbh

January 3, 2019VP, Talent

We're extremely proud of the people we've brought on to the Affirm team and are happy to hear you that felt surrounded by great colleagues! Best of luck in your next endeavor.

2. "Thoughtful leadership, interesting work, solid benefits, and pay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for a company, which follows its mission to a T is refreshing

Cons

Some orgs/departments can be undervalued and the voices of those in that org aren't well heard a lot of the time.

3. "Okay"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Affirm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and interesting product

Cons

Unfocused leadership, tech in disarray

July 10, 2020VP of Talent

We appreciate the feedback, and are sorry to hear your experience at Affirm has fallen short. If you're open to it, please reach out to your HRBP and they can set up some time to discuss how we can do better.

"Overall good place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Affirm full-time for more than a year

Pros

smart people, good culture, and great perks

Cons

Lots of big egos, slow moving company for a tech startup, low pay outside of engineering

June 26, 2020VP of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

"Misaligned Values"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Affirm full-time

Pros

Great benefits (commuter, health, fitness, product stipend), free lunch and dinner,

Cons

The large pay gap between engineer/non-engineering roles Misaligned mission and values Lack of growth

June 26, 2020VP of Talent

We're building a team of industry leaders who are passionate about improving lives through Affirm's financial offerings. We're sorry to hear that this mission did not resonate with you and wish you all the best on your future endeavors.

"Big things to come"

Current Employee - Operations Associate

I have been working at Affirm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, growth opportunities, culture

Cons

Growing pains of a start-up

May 29, 2020VP of Talent

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to leave feedback!

"Tons of learning, tons of work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Group Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Affirm full-time

Pros

- Tons of responsibility and autonomy - Interesting, hard problems

Cons

- Difficult to balance workload with anything else - Too many projects happening at once, with not enough focus

April 30, 2020VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

8. COVID-19

"Great company, great Pittsburgh office"

Current Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Affirm full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company genuinely pushes it's people to hold up the core values, awesome benefits and perks (product reimbursements, stocked kitchens, parking, events!), the employees care about the success of the business, Leadership works really hard to support the team in career growth & create a fun/exciting/open culture in Operations in Pittsburgh, and people's ideas and opinions are sought out. When the team's morale took a dip late last year around Peak, Leadership jumped right in to listen to the feedback and make changes. It's really nice how they demonstrate that we are heard and matter. The people in the Pittsburgh office are amazing; happy to support one another, available to answer questions as we learn, and welcoming to new people as we grow our team. There is always something new to learn, ERGs are active and great resources, we are encouraged to participate as members or allies, and fun events are always on the schedule. At times things can feel chaotic (especially these days with the COVID crisis) but our Leads, Managers, Directors and VP have really stepped up to keep the team safe, sane, connected, and most importantly feeling appreciated. We have fun events put on by them to break up the day and it's helped keep everyone feeling a sense of team. There are incredibly smart people that work here, from our Associates all the way up to Leadership which makes me confident that the future looks bright. Pittsburgh leadership brings tons of experience to their roles and you can see how much they enjoy what they do.

Cons

At times it feels like we are a start-up within a start-up. This can sometimes lead to some confusion about priorities or direction, but is understandable when you consider that our office is only about 1 year old. Our tools are a little tough to work with, lots of systems and tons of processes to remember. It feels like an impossible task some days. Also, there are some differences between the other locations (SF, Chi, NY) and Pittsburgh in terms of benefits which can seem exclusive, but leadership does their best to pass our feedback to HR and the execs, so hopefully some of that will change. We also need more job functions in our office so that we can be more connected and create more opportunities for career mobility without having to move. We have people who want to stay with Affirm, we need Affirm to do what they can to keep them here.

April 23, 2020VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! As with any scaling company, growing pains are an inevitable part of the process. We're so glad to hear that our efforts to keep Affirm's mission and caliber of new employees constant as we expand have been successful, and that you feel happy and supported here.

"Late stage private, startup feel"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joined Affirm in December 2019. Based on their funding, age, and general position in the market, I figured it was a late stage, established company. And while it certainly is, the hunger for growth and innovation, as well as empowerment you feel as an employee to take an idea and run with it, has impressed me. Great experience so far, and I have no reason to expect anything to change.

Cons

The alternative payments space is competitive and subject to frequently evolving regulations, and the path forward continues to change every day

March 26, 2020VP of Talent

We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your time at Affirm!

"Very political. Get ready for lots of games- not the fun kind."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Affirm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food. Some good people.

Cons

Decisions made based on friendships vs what is best for the company. A mission that is complete BS.

May 29, 2020VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Fostering a culture where everyone is treated with respect is extremely important to Affirm, and we're disappointed to hear that this hasn't been your experience.

Found 126 reviews