Absorb Software Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2020

2.8
Absorb Software CEO Mike Owens (no image)
Mike Owens
  1. Featured Review

"Good company to work"

5.0

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Absorb full-time for more than 2 years. Ongoing support from teammates and leaders Professional growth, lots of learning opportunities Very friendly environment Work-life balance

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Absorb Supports the Growth of its Employees"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel supported by my colleagues and my superiors at Absorb. After working here for less than a year I was offered a chance to develop and take on a new role where I had expressed interest. Absorb fosters growth and a supportive work environment. Work-life balance is fostered at Absorb where you can choose your own hours that make sense for you, and receive one work from home day a week. Weekly pastry deliveries are an added treat, along with other almost monthly activities and team building events.

Cons

Sometimes things can move slowly and there is not always transparency in processes, however this is something that has been recognized by upper management and is being worked on.

3. COVID-19

"Standard Corporate Job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is standard for industry. Fascinating subject matter to work with. Paid Snacks WFH days

Cons

Executive team seems disconnected from progressive culture. Some projects left unfinished. Growth is valued over other developments almost to a detriment. There is a lot of pride that gets in the way of being realistic and transparent. Management tends to prefer to completely remove an entire policy instead of modify or update it.

"Overworked. Underpaid."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product. Company is growing. Generous and understanding CEO. Merger of the finance and accounting teams brought a lot more unity and expertise for the teams to achieve large milestones and improved information sharing and coaching. Great experience in acquisitions, complex accounting, conversions, system implementation allows for a stronger resume.

Cons

Staff in the accounting and finance department are very underpaid. We are benchmarked against other Midsize private companies but the reality of the work is being overlooked. We are a US GAAP filer and acquired three companies in one year. The company needs to revisit the pay for the entire team. Some team members are not a good fit for the requirements of the job and should be assessed. Everyone is working 50-70 hours and ineligible for overtime. This is in addition to the company enforcing a 20% pay cut (even though revenue and cash is massively growing). Other teams are much better treated under the CEO. We have managers, VP, and staff, in finance and accounting getting paid equal or less than customer service staff or developers even though our workload and responsibility is bigger. Staff who quit have gotten over 25% pay increase and we were told it’s because they went to O&G which isn’t true. They are being compensated for the work they do. We aren’t bookkeepers at a small company. The team manages more than 10 entities and 6 currencies, and responsible for acquisition, due diligence, integrating those acquisitions, and a large lending facility. None of that is reflected in our pay or team size. Plus we work a lot more hours, so the pay per hour is significantly less. The c-suite leader of this team throws us in all directions and is not an advocate for the team. Every day he throws a new responsibilities or assignment and no additional help. Always pushing conflicting priorities. With recent changes for the accounting and finance team, everyone on the team should be offered a bonus for their efforts and pay raise to reflect the new responsibilities, but that would never happen. Top leadership feels they can always push our limits without additional support. You’d think with being such a vital team, we’d be offered more hires, more pay but the goal is to work the team to the bone then they quit. We continue to see high turnover and now it’s going to happen even more as the team members have a much improved skillset and rare experiences with acquisitions, . At this time, everyone is job searching - from managers, to VP, to controller, to junior accountants. Those discussions are being had openly. Some people should be replaced as well to being the right expertise in. There is no continuity of knowledge going to be left if this isn’t fixed and then the company will have to pay massively more to replace team members when they quit. I wonder what the board thinks of the turnover rates.

5. COVID-19

""Diversity" ends at promoting white woman"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Calgary, AB

I worked at Absorb Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great, supportive people. Good benefits, fun perks.

Cons

This is largely in response to the CEO's linkedin post around Black Lives Matter. Absorb is a place where people of colour are made aware of what their ceiling at the company is early on. The CEO has never, ever, missed a chance to celebrate how many white woman work at Absorb, but he's also never, ever, promoted a black person into a leadership role. The company's leadership page has significantly more people who are either Trump supporters or have, multiple times, defended Trump, than the company has people of colour in leadership roles. The majority of senior leadership and people in the higher earner roles openly bash progressive politics and politicians, creating a hostile environment for the people those politics support in breaking glass ceilings. There are two non-white people at the entire company who have people under them. We created a new team lead basically once a month, yet the number is 2. In my entire time at Absorb, I never once saw a black man or black woman get a promotion or be hired into a role that required leadership. Not once.

Absorb Software Response

June 3, 2020Human Resources Director

From Mike Owens, CEO: I have worked my entire career to support and promote the interests of everyone in the Absorb community - and I'm committed to continuing that. I am very proud of the culture we have created here but will not take it for granted. We will continue to examine our own company to find and address any issues of systemic or implicit biases within and seek change.

6. COVID-19

"The Culture of this company is rapidly deteriorating"

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Personally my manager is very flexible, can't say the same thing about the company. In fact they themselves have openly expressed to the team dismay to all these policy changes. - Vacation time is fair although the new policy arisen amidst covid is quite heavy handed

Cons

The cons are becoming endless. - Heavy handed vacation policy allows no carryover that will not be paid out?? Isn't that illegal? Quoted from vacation policy "Vacation leave is expected to be taken within the calendar year in which it is earned. As such, vacation leave entitlement cannot be carried over from one calendar year to the next. Accrued but untaken vacation will be forfeited at the end of the calendar year and is not eligible to be paid out." - Their handling of the Covid 19 crisis was dishonest, opportunistic and downright despicable. I've never seen so many negative policy changes to employee benefits, pay and hours of work in such a short time in my entire life. How an employer handles a crisis in the treatment of their employees should tell you how it is to work for them and should speak to their integrity - The new HR function is laughable (Although I don't blame them because they are likely being directed by the scumminess of the C-Suite) - They have borderline breached many employees contracts by moving to a 40 hr work week, when they signed on for a 35 hr work week at x salary... fortunately for them, the contracts were sneakily worded so they could easily make a change such as this. Again, completely despicable in a time of crisis. - RRSP matching was removed during Covid crisis... personally I'd rather they just pay out the extra amount in salary since the Sunlife plan is absolutely terrible and really provides no gains whatsoever compared to the open market. - Benefits are terrible - The company has become far too politicized (like everything else). Maybe there is a reason why no one has volunteered for the "inclusion committee" because they know from company actions from past and recently that they are completely disingenuous and any "inclusion committee" will amount to no good. Actions, not meaningless words speak for the integrity of the company.

"Very fake"

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time

Pros

Snacks? Good benefits? People with kids seem to get a lot flexibility for child care? Pretty good Christmas party's?

Cons

All you need to know is that when our CEO was challenged on how our executive is less than 10% POC, there's basically zero POC in lower leadership and I'd say 0 POC in the top 20%(and probably fewer than 10 of the top 50%) of earners at Absorb, he responded with how proud he is of the culture.

Absorb Software Response

June 8, 2020Human Resources Director

From Mike Owens, CEO: These are undoubtedly polarizing and difficult times, that require strength. Leaders that are willing to do the hard work; that are open to hearing dissent so that they can be part of the solution working to change the system that is broken. At Absorb I am committed to listening and to influence positive change. We are looking at our own potential biases, and advancing our corporate culture through a newly created employee-driven inclusion committee and will continue to provide learning opportunities to all employees. As a current Absorb employee, I invite you to join us as part of the solution and assure you there is a safe space in our organization to pursue these conversations further. We can all, always do better and that is my commitment to the employees of Absorb.

"Good if you like snacks and long lunch breaks"

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Lots of entry level roles where you can learn lots. Tons of perks like snacks and social events. Better than oil and gas for culture and future outlook.

Cons

All the senior roles are filled with outside hires. The work is generally pretty boring in anything customer/sales facing, we don't do anything remotely innovative. Constant talk about growth, but sales people have been let go or left and no one is being promoted or hired into their spots. Certain teams are micromanaged by leadership and forced to fight constantly for support/resources. Other teams seem to have no oversight and their failures are swept under the rug. Speaking of failures, we're constantly told about all these changes coming from marketing, each one has failed. We keep hiring and spending on US marketing people and all we have to show for it is cookies being mailed and a rotating door of staff leaving talking about how it was the worst experience of their life.

Continue reading

"Good ideals marred by bad management"

I have been working at Absorb Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Snack days. Salary is on par with the industry in Calgary. Benefits are fairly good with a few gaps. The company itself has some good ideals and seems to know what they want to do at a higher level but the development group is lead by poor managers.

Cons

You would think that a company that develops learning management software would be strong at training their employees but that is simply not the case here. Senior roles are almost exclusively filled by outside hires rather than providing training and guidance to existing staff to naturally move into those roles. Management can never give a clear picture of how one advances in the company; the idea of that even being a possibility seems to baffle them. Junior developers that have been here for years are still at the junior level because of a lack of guidance and will continue to languish unless they jump ship. Unless you're part of the elite circle of one manager's friends, your opinions count for nothing, you are treated as a second-rate citizen, and you are rarely given the chance to work on anything interesting. There is zero desire to fix broken parts of the product, instead choosing to leave half-finished implementations unfinished and either slap bandaids on any problems or tell customers that we won't bother to fix the issue. New development is often started with poor vision and understanding of what they hope to achieve resulting in either a failed product or one that is so feature-deprived that it's almost useless. Bonuses are laughable. Take highly-positive reviews with a grain of salt, especially if they're posted within 1 to 2 weeks of each other; when a bad review is posted, management often "encourages" people to review bomb the site to offset anything they don't like.

Continue reading
  10. "Good opportunities to learn if you are willing to put in the effort"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB

I worked at Absorb Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best snacks. Good location. Newish tech stack. Good dev practices / Git workflow.

Cons

Product direction and strategy coming from management can change on a whim.

Found 38 reviews