Plenty of Fish Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in March 2019.

Interview

A phone screen with the technical recruiter followed by 4 in person interviews at the office on two separate days including technical and behavioural interviews. The recruiting team and the interviewers did an amazing job of making the process stress free. It was a pleasure going through the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were technical questions about ML and statistics as well as open ended questions about the types of problem the business faces and how data science, ML and AI can help solve them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in October 2018.

Interview

After a phone screen, I had three rounds of on-site interview

1A- Interview with the engineering manager. Mostly general questions, and a system design question
    1B- Just after that, interview with 3 software engineers. I got specific questions about databases, a whiteboard coding question and a class diagram question

2- HR + engineering manager - questions about my previous jobs

3- Extra interview with an architect on a class design question. Given what I've been told before the interview, this extra interview is not part of the standard process.

Not a great experience overall. For the most part, the technical people don't seem to be used to interviewing.

But the biggest problem for me was the responsiveness of the company. They always said they would come back to me within a day or two but never did. This became a problem in the later stages of my job search, as my email asking for a status update (sent a week after the last interview) was ignored for another week... Without news from Plenty of Fish, I assumed that they weren't interested and took another offer.

I was very disappointed that after taking the time to come to the office 3 times, I couldn't get an answer to a simple emailed request for a status update.

I was reflecting on the irony of being ghosted by a dating app when I did get an answer after a week (ie 2 weeks after the date they were supposed to get back to me). They still seemed interested in me, but it was too late at that point unfortunately.

It's too bad because the engineering team looks solid. I expect that Plenty of Fish is missing on good candidates because of the recruitment process.

Interview Questions

Plenty of Fish Response

Feb. 1, 2019 – People and Culture Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive experience. I can assure this is not reflective of the standards we expect when interviewing.
    We always strive to... More

Advertising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in August 2011.

Interview

Quick and efficient interview with 3 people. Ask various questions, some job related, some abstract but overall I immediately got the feel for the company and for the people I'd be working with

Interview Questions

• Describe what you loved about your previous job and what you hated   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in October 2017.

Interview

1- phone interview with HR - it was about my experience and why I want to join to POF
    2- phone interview with Team Lead - asked about how I debug apps
    3- on-site interview with Team Lead - asked about async and OOP (design interfaces and classes for a question)
    4- on-site interview with Manager and HR - talk about all of my work experience, it was about so long

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in March 2014.

Interview

First, I had a 5min chat with the COO, Kate and then about 30min chat with the 3 designer team. I was a bit nervous to talk to Kate, so I mumbled in the beginning. Her first impression can be a bit scary. Her questions were...what do you know about POF? What do you expect in a full-time position? Where do you want to be in the next few year? Something like that..The 3 designers were easier to talk to and they knew the company inside & out. They had questions like..give me an example of anything that you think has a good design. Added to this, their HR person was extremely nice and they have a really nice office.

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish.

Interview

Really quick, met with HR and COO, also with dev leads. All very nice people. Did not take long at all to make an offer and the experience was very pleasant. I was in an out in two hours so no time wastings which I appreciated.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in August 2017.

Interview

I got greeted by the door with the recruiter I had the telephone interview with and then
    3 people where interviewing me at the same time in a different room/
    1 was writing while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know all about my past employees.
      What was good .What was bad about the job and if they would call them now what would they say about me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in August 2017.

Interview

A general fit interview followed by a couple of technical interviews and then further interviews with people in various management positions to determine all the non-technical, non-culture stuff. No points of this process felt repetitive, and there was a great feeling of accomplishment from getting through it, and also confidence that POF screens people well.

Interview Questions

• Was asked a technical question about an actual issue they had and how to figure out what went wrong.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC).

Interview

I had an extremely unpleasant telephone conversation with a senior Report Developer just recently.Within the first few minutes and for almost the entire 15 minute duration of our conversation she was extremely unprofessional,and repeatedly attacked my resume
    emphasizing that I don't acquire the skills necessary for the position
     without asking me any technical questions. If this is truly the case, then
    can I ask why the company has choose to approach me? I would assume that
     she had access to my resume prior to calling me and if she really felt that
    I was so unqualified for the position why did she choose to waste valuable
     time out of my day and make the company appear very unprofessional.

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC) in October 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and two on site interviews. All very nice people and the experience was pleasant. Database team members were really knowledgeable and friendly and really expert in their professions that motivated me to join this company.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions about database scale out mechanism, query tuning, exception handling, database architecture and some abstract questions.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish in March 2017.

Interview

Very involved interview process but it always felt like a discussion rather than an interview. I had a phone pre-screen, 1:1 culture fit interview, technical interview, case study interview, on site with GM, VP product, Engineering etc.

The company wanted to make sure that there is a good mutual fit. Workplace felt relaxed but with enough structure to get things done.

I received an offer about 30 days from the start of the process. Overall it was a very pleasant process, I really liked the people I interviewed with.

Interview Questions

Plenty of Fish Response

Apr. 17, 2017 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review and we really appreciate feedback on your candidate experience!

People and Culture Manager

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.