Plenty of Fish Reviews

Updated Sep 2, 2021

Found 56 of over 62 reviews

4.6
Plenty of Fish CEO Malgosia Green (no image)
Malgosia Green
Pros
  • "Both managers I had a POF were very supportive, knowledgeable, and fundamental to my career growth(in 9 reviews)

• "great open culture, nice in house fitness program, best location with great waterfront view; free snacks and Friday afternoon happy hour(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "POF might not a place for shy people who are not willing to speak up(in 7 reviews)

• "come to mind(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on

Tech

107.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Plenty of Fish~683584
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Sep 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture Work has huge impact on million people's life Very talented engineers working on top of the line tech Great COVID response and remote working perks Very competitive comp

Cons

No real negative points come to mind.

Senior People and Culture Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We've worked hard throughout the pandemic to ensure we listen to the needs of our people and provide the best possible experience to everyone despite the challenges we have faced. It's great to see you highlighted this as a 'pro' in your review.

2. 5.0

I found my crew!

Aug 31, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Plenty of Fish culture has something special about it. The people who work here truly love what they do and it shows. No matter who you talk to in the company, they are keen to share their experiences, and learn from yours. This has made such an open and trusting environment where I have been able to learn so much without worry of being judged or silly for asking questions. I love that the company is lean but we also get to take advantage of the benefits of being a part of Match group (mentorship programs, knowledge sharing, portfolio wide benefits.) I feel like I don’t get lost in the shuffle because of this, which I appreciate.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Senior People and Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. 'Crewing together' is one of our company values so we love hearing how your experience truly exemplifies this! We're proud to be part of the Match Group which has certainly enhanced our employees' experience of working at Plenty of Fish. The recent launch of the Match Group wide mentorship program, and free access to both Udemy and Headspace for everyone has been really popular! Continuing to listen to employee feedback is important for us to keep focused on doing what is best for our people and culture. We're launching our annual engagement survey again this month so look out for another opportunity to tell us how we are doing.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing challenges and growth.

Sep 2, 2021 - Chief Product Officer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Our work has real and meaningful impact in our members' lives - The problem space is very interesting with very big challenges and opportunities only present at scale - Locally a relatively small and tight knit company, but also part of the larger Match Group organization which creates plenty of opportunities for learning, growth, and collaboration across the world - Breaking new ground in social dating

Cons

- A long standing product and technology stack, which presents unique UX and technology challenges

Senior People and Culture Manager

Thank you for the 5 star review! Your experience really reflects our company core values; Be Proud, Make Waves, Dive Deep and Crew Together. Our scale really does create some very interesting challenges which is why one of our core values is Be Proud where we see challenges as opportunities and take action; having a growth mindset goes a long way here! Diving deep into data is key to ensure we make smart decisions when operating at scale, and innovating in social dating, and having a meaningful impact on people's lives is at the heart of our Make Waves value. Crewing together at Plenty of Fish means we love what we do, have fun and are free to be ourselves and this spans our collaboration across our sister brands at Match Group. Thanks for sharing your experience!

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Downhill fast

Aug 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice COVID perks through the pandemic Smart co-workers mostly Big scale to build upon

Cons

Leadership suppresses salaries and gives inconsistent promotions only to people that are unhappy There is an "in" crowd that gets all kinds of special treatment from leadership Leadership thinks everybody except themselves is dumb. Fakes listening to people. Fakes having compassion. Decisions made in the corner office and everybody is expected to just say yes and move on (really big yes culture where leadership is never wrong of course) Politics like you wouldn't believe in a company of this small size Product owners don't know what they are doing at all and constantly changing priorities

3 people found this review helpful

Senior People and Culture Manager

We're disappointed to learn that you felt your experience during your time here at Plenty of Fish was not at the level we pride ourselves on. The examples you share are inconsistent with what we know and love about working here and do not align with our company values. We are always open to hearing feedback so we can keep it in mind as we work to maintain a positive culture and experience for all of our employees. If you would like to share more about your concerns please message us directly at gd@pof.com so we can best address them.

5. 5.0

Meaningful and impactful work

Jun 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Your work directly impacts millions of users in their pursuit of happiness. 2. Very competitive compensation. 3. Amazing culture where everyone can make an impact from day 1.

Cons

None at the moment. :)

Senior People and Culture Manager

So pleased to hear your time at Plenty of Fish has been so positive in your first year. We really do have such an impact on our millions of members which makes our work very meaningful and so rewarding. Thank you for the 5 star review!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lovely, hard-working group of people

Mar 25, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people. They are open, approachable and willing to learn. No egos and no blame culture! - Great salary, bonus and benefits (lots of snacks!) - They really seem to care about the well-being of their employees - Clear sructured progression - You get what you put in. Work hard, contribute and you will be rewarded. - Company objectives focused on code quality. This is a new initiative and it's good to see that executives realise the importance and impact of this on the business. At the same time, they don't let developers get carried away with over-engineering and forgetting about business value.

Cons

- Feature teams need to communicate more rather than focusing on whether their team meets their objectives or not. Standard problem at every company though.

Senior People and Culture Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to share such a glowing review; thank you. We couldn't agree more that our people really are the best and we're so pleased to hear you have loved so much about your experience working with us. We're really open to hearing more about your advice to management. Both our CTO and our Chief Product Officer are keen to chat further with you so please reach out directly to either one of them, or myself, to get the conversation started! Senior People and Culture Manager

7. 5.0

A fun place to work on

Mar 10, 2021 - Data Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You not only get a chance to work with some very smart people but you also get exposure to POF's great culture. In POF people responsible and take pride in their products (ships), People enjoy talking to each other (even in Zoom), and are always willing to help out. And not to forget all the absolutely fun and happy events we host every few months.

Cons

POF might not a place for shy people who are not willing to speak up.

Senior People and Culture Manager

Thank you for sharing your 5 star review! Crewing together and being proud of what we do are two of our four company values so we loved hearing that they have been at the core of your enjoyment for working at Plenty of Fish. We are committed to ensuring that everyone feels comfortable and has the platform to express their views and ideas. We are offering inclusive culture training to all employees next month and this will further support the value we place on people's comfort and willingness to speak up. I'd value the opportunity to chat with you to understand the context of your 'Cons' feedback to see if there is anything else we can be doing. Senior People & Culture Manager

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome culture, transparent leadership, all-around good human beings

Sep 15, 2020 - Senior Brand Manager in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Genuine and kind people across all departments who actually want to help each other - Solid leadership who exercises transparency and a culture of trust - Leadership team actually listens to employee feedback (ex. Lack of work-from-home policy was changed based on feedback and positive results during Covid) - Exciting and challenging industry - Diversity both in terms of gender and ethnicity throughout company - Opportunity for growth - Good compensation and benefits package - Company puts its people first - clearly shown in how they handled Covid - It’s clear the company prioritizes culture through honest and clear communication, trust in employees, empowering employees...plus little perks like “snack boxes” during mandatory work-from-home policy during Covid

Cons

Not really any cons at this moment

Senior People and Culture Manager

A huge thank you for such an overwhelmingly positive review and we couldn’t have said it better ourselves! You’ve highlighted so many areas which we pride ourselves on at Plenty of Fish so we really appreciate you sharing your feedback.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

nice place to work, so many good changes have been happened

Sep 13, 2020 - Technical Lead in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can say one of the best point of this company is always try to change and improve the culture. especially after teams moved to squads and make the planning and featuring much better and more organizing. * Cares so much about their employees, especially after pandemic started * Nice culture, you can easily talk to CEO, CTO and VP whiteout any firewall, they are always open for talking and listening to your suggestions and ideas. * Nice vacation policy. * learning Budget, so if anybody likes to learn and improve his knowledge, there is a budget for learning

Cons

* there are so many legacy systems in POF, there is plan to move them in micro services, but I can say those legacy systems still is one of the most cons for pof

Senior People and Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing review of your experience with us. We do take considerable care to listen and action improvements where feasible and even more so when we have been experiencing such challenging and unique times. Ensuring our people feel supported and lines of communication are open, especially during the pandemic, have been a top priority. Our legacy systems have proved to be a big challenge for us in the past, however, they have also represented some of our biggest opportunities. We've made significant progress in transitioning to micro services and this continues to be a focus for our roadmaps so watch this space for more to come!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Highly recommended

Jul 31, 2020 - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work is intellectually stimulating. Lots of access to data/resources to do a lot of cool discovery. Userbase is big but team is relatively small which means that everyone, including senior executives were accessible. Both managers I had a POF were very supportive, knowledgeable, and fundamental to my career growth. Additionally, they have been very supportive of employees during the COVID time period (flexibility for working parents, WFH budget, etc.). Lots of socials and perks. Link to Match group enables you to access advice from a large pool of talent if needed.

Cons

Product limitations due to technology but this is being actively addressed.

People & Culture Manager

It's so great to hear you had such an overwhelmingly positive experience working with us. It's true, that as part of the wider Match Group of online dating brands, it opens up a lot of opportunities for us to benefit from cross brand collaboration, networking, sharing of ideas and challenges, and some healthy competition! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback; thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56 Reviews