Explore Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Explore Learning Interview Questions

Updated 12 Dec, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in December-2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email less than a week later to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was great, the interviewer sounded genuinely interested in what I had to say. It was mostly a chat about my CV and what skills I have to offer the company.

I am currently a tutor at explore so I was able to skip the second stage of the process (this is usually an interview held at one of the centres and you do a little role play with the Manager trying to sell a gym membership).

I was invited to the Assessment Day straight away after the phone interview. I was really excited and they sent me an email with the agenda for the day. When I got there, everybody was super friendly and they welcomed me at the door. They provided refreshments and gave us a little presentation about Explore and its history. The day consisted of 2 interviews: the first is a role-play and a presentation about yourself and the second is a one-to-one interview bringing your CV to life. After that, they take you out to dinner, which was really lovely but still pretty formal. At the end of the day we had a group activity, where they just want to see that you can work in a team, listen and contribute to group discussions.

I really enjoyed myself and was really happy when they offered me the job. They got back to me within 2 days, which was amazing!

My advice would be that you really get to know the company before any of your interviews. Make sure you know Explore vision and values and their key competencies and use them to answer your questions.

If you can try and have fun too, that's always a plus!

Interview Questions

• What do you think is going to be the most challenging part of the job?   Answer Question

12 Dec, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your interview at Explore. It is great to read you enjoyed the process. Congratulations on the promotion from being a tutor to an Assistant Director!

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in December-2017.

Interview

It was quite a long process. First was the application form, then a telephone interview, then an interview in one of their centre's, and finally an assessment centre. The assessment centre took all day and included giving a pre-prepared presentation, a sales role play, a basic maths and english test, a CV interview, and a group task. It was a relaxed atmosphere though and the staff are lovely. There were snacks provided and plenty of time to chat with other candidates, who were all really nice. They told us we weren't directly competing with each other for jobs so the atmosphere was supportive and friendly rather than competitive. We also had lunch at Zizzi's which was a nice bonus!

Interview Questions

• Your current job sounds rewarding, why are you leaving?   1 Answer

12 Dec, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about the interview process with Explore. Welcome to the Explore Family!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning.

Interview

As a current tutor I submitted my application online, had a phone interview and attended an assessment day.
    I found the assessment day to be really fun and enjoyable! There were lots of different parts including a CV interview which was more like a chat, a basic maths and English test, a sales roleplay and a presentation and then a group activity in the afternoon. I enjoyed most of the day however I panicked in the sales role play due to stress and it really let me down. They offer lots of feedback at the end though and as this is my dream job I hope to apply again next year before I graduate!

Interview Questions

• Lots of scenario question and about the company vision and values   Answer Question

4 Dec, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your interview experience at Explore. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the assessment day. I hope you found the feedback useful in helping you develop in... More

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (London, England (UK)) in November-2017.

Interview

Was asked to do a phone interview first where they asked about my experiences and how they fit the role. I thought it was going to be more of a pre interview chat as they had said that they just wanted to know more about you. However it was very technical (which was fine as I had done my research). Make sure you show lots of passion and enthusiasm as this is where I was unsuccessful as I did not sound passionate enough in my answers.

Interview Questions

• If you were out in a shopping centre promoting Explore how would you keep your team motivated?   Answer Question

4 Dec, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your interview experience. All the best of luck in your search for a suitable career.

Assistant Director Interview

Interview

I was welcomed into the centre by one of the Assistant Directors and the Centre Director, they were both really friendly and put me completely at ease so I didn't feel nervous at all. They showed me around the centre and told me a lot about the what the role would entail and they welcomed and answered any questions that I had.
    This was followed by a couple of standard interview questions - nothing too difficult - and after every answer the centre director was really encouraging and confirming how my experiences would fit into the role. This was followed by the gym membership role play, the part I was most nervous about. The AD was the 'customer' and she would put up barriers as to why she wasn't interested in gym membership and they were particularly looking for your ability to build a relationship with the customer, ask lots of questions and be really persuasive. I think my downfall was that I went too quickly in with the prices of the membership, they really want you to engage with the customer and chat to them a lot before you start your spiel about the membership. I was then given feedback by the CD and I had to do it again - they are looking to see how you take on board the feedback.
    At the end I then got a chance to chat with some of the children and give them help with their work, which I really enjoyed. From my feedback it seems they really want you to show enthusiasm for working in a business environment, as the role is less about working with children and more about customer service and making lots of sales. My one tip to anyone applying for this job is to focus more on your interest in the business and your selling ability. Also make sure you ask lots of questions as this really shows your interest in the company.
    I didn't get offered to attend the assessment centre however the interview has made me realise a career in business and sales really isn't for me so I still found it a positive and worth while experience!

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

16 Oct, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback about your interview. I am glad you found the experience positive and wish you all the best for the future.

Part Them Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Northampton, England (UK)) in October-2017.

Interview

Phone call interview which lasted about 10 mins talking about yourself and why you are suited to the role you are applying for. Then discussing your personal qualities and examples of when you used them

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

23 Oct, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving a review about your interview process. All the best for the future.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Margate (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Margate (South Africa)) in October-2017.

Interview

I cannot fault the format of the phone interview which consisted of standard questions, serving its purpose, and lasted less than half an hour. It was the next stage at the centre where I encountered some problems.

Firstly, I arrived 10 minutes early. I thought this was quite reasonable. My bad. I got sent away and told to look around the store until they all finished their lunch break.

I could barely contain my incredulous laughter when during the interview, the rep from recruitment kept going on about the company's values and dedication to customer service and going above and beyond, given the welcome I'd received.

I must say that the interview itself was rather like a 'hard sale', and it had to be. Now you've actually visited the centre, you can see that it's more like a creche, and not the sort of place you'd want to send your child for tuition, or to help them prepare for the Kent Test. Parents aren't allowed to stay and watch what they're getting for £119 p/m and I can see why.

The interview leader, a rep from the recruitment team had a very strange stare throughout the process as if she had taken some kind of stimulant. She was reciting a script, as if she was a cold-caller and clearly hadn't read my CV or previous work experience. There was no discussion at all about my previous employment or education, just clutching her clipboard and over-enunciating her words in a slow monotone... just like a pushy sales rep.

I was bored and desperate to get out of there. It wasn't for me. But I wasn't even half-way through yet. I had to go through the selling a gym membership role-play....twice. You have to pretend to approach a customer and get them to sign up to your gym. Listen to feedback, and then try it again. She commented on the fact that I looked bored during this. This was about the only accurate and personalized expostulation she made during the 90 minutes.

During interviews, I'm normally full of energy, thriving from the adrenaline and nerves of applying to a job that might suit. Explore Learning however is the first time I've been completely relaxed during an interview...not because they were welcoming, but because I just didn't care anymore.

If anything, I was angry. I was angry that all the complaints about this centre turned out to be true. I was angry at myself for thinking that this was a business where I could continue my commitment to educating children but at a managerial level. But I was most angry that Explore were targeting a deprived area where parents are scrimping and saving to fund extra tuition to help their child get into a decent school.

The final part of the process was actually working with the children and getting down to their level to assist with on-screen questions. I'd seen this kind of software before-it was a bit like MyMaths which a lot of schools have subscription to. You could send your child to an after-school catch-up club twice a week and get the same result...for free.

There was 1 'tutor' for every 6 children. Sounds good but when it's just a case of walking around and trying to keep the children on-task, you realise that you don't need to have any talent for teaching to work there. Some children got on and worked quietly, others clearly had Attention Deficit Disorder.

I'm not saying that Explore centres do not work. It is a truth universally acknowledged that extra practicing of questions on a weekly basis is bound to improve the child's ability. It is also going to be very convenient for families as a drop off whilst they do some shopping in the neighboring Westwood Cross. However, Explore cannot be considered a substitute for experienced and qualified tutors.

I'm a top MA graduate and have been working with children for over 9 years, but this isn't what Explore are looking for. If you are a recent graduate with a 2.2 who can sell your soul to the devil and sleep at night knowing you've misled families who are looking for an affordable tuition option, then this is going to be a great job, with a great salary and excellent career progression.

I was relieved to get a nice rejection email two days after. Don't worry, the feeling's mutual.

And another thing....they first planned my interview to be held at a random centre which would have required a 150-mile round trip even though there was a centre just up the road from me. If this happens to you, ring up and ask to get it changed. It's just not worth it otherwise, especially as the next stage is in Guildford which may require a day-off work and a hefty bill of non-subsidized travel expenses.

A big shout out to the careers team who were very pleasant and helpful. They were also on the line till gone 5 which was really useful to me as I work full-time.

Interview Questions

• Can you come back in 5 minutes once we've all finished our lunch break?   1 Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crayford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Crayford, England (UK)) in September-2017.

Interview

A few weeks after applying to Explore Learning for their Assistant Director role I was emailed with an offer of a telephone interview.

A lovely lady from head office phoned me with standard interview questions related to my CV, experience and skills.
    She was very calming and friendly and made me feel at ease throughout the conversation.
    After this she offered me the opportunity to move onto the next stage of he interview process which involved a face to face interview at one of their centres.

I chose Crayford.
    Upon arrival the AD at Crayford showed me around their centre and was utterly lovely from start to finish. She gave me a lot of information regarding the role and her experience before and during her time at the centre.
    This was followed by an opportunity to explain how I had got to this point and why I was interested in the role.
    This was followed by a role play where was given some really good feedback and the opportunity to have a second attempt at the role play.
    Further feedback was given which was very insightful.
    I then had the chance to work alongside children who attended the centre which was a really nice experience and helped me gain a little insight into what to expect.
    Around 15 minutes after my interview I had a call to attend the centre assessment day which is this Friday (8/09/2017).
    I'm really looking forward to it as my experience up until this point has been really positive.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest achievement up until this date?   Answer Question

11 Sep, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your interview process. I hope the assessment day went well for you. All the best for your future career.

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in September-2017.

Interview

I completed an application form for the Assistant Director role through the Explore Learning website on the 20th August 2017. Alongside providing general information, you must answer two simple questions regarding your desire to work for Explore Learning, and why you would be an ideal candidate for the role. This is a chance for you to research Explore Learning and develop a real passion for the company and the role!

The next step in the interview process is a centre interview, which is a brilliant opportunity for you to engage with the children and experience the daily activities of a centre. My centre interview was on the 5th September at Winnersh, and the team were very friendly and supportive. Alongside the interview and a brief interaction with the children, you will be involved in a sales role play. This may be daunting for you, however, my advice would be to relax and let your personality shine so that you can build a relationship with the customer.

If successful at the centre interview, you will be invited to an Assessment Day at Guildford (they tend to run 2 per month). Throughout the day, you are provided with refreshments and are taken to Zizzi's for lunch. There are several interviews, led by a very engaging and friendly team, wherein you discuss your application, conduct a short presentation, and perform a roleplay. Alongside the interviews, you will complete an individual and group task. I found the day to be very enjoyable and enthusing, it is a chance for you to get to know the other applicants and the H/O team. My Assessment Day was on the 8th of September 2017, and I received my offer on the 11th September 2017 which I gratefully accepted!

Throughout the process, the Explore Learning team are very enthusiastic and warm, providing you with support every step of the way. The advice I would give to any future applicant is to show your enthusiasm and passion for the role, do your research, and ultimately be yourself. This has been a fantastic experience for me and I can't wait to continue my journey with Explore!

Interview Questions

• You have overheard a tutor make an inappropriate comment, how would you deal with this?   Answer Question

12 Sep, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving feedback about your interview process. It is great to read about your positive experience. Welcome to the Explore Learning family!

Application

Interview

I applied for the role at the end of July and was given a date for a centre interview a couple of days later. My first interview at the centre in Glasgow was a really great experience. I was given a tour of the centre by the director, who immediately made me feel at ease. It is really inspiring to see the centre in action and really motivated me. I found out the next day that I was through to the assessment day at the Head Office in Guildford. I had a really fantastic day- the staff who the ran the day were so friendly and enthusiastic; it really inspired me to hear how passionate they were about the company. You take part in a face-to-face interview, a presentation, role play, short test and group activity. All aspects of the day were really well organised and you were made to feel really at ease and relaxed. You were also given the chance to spend time with and get to know the other candidates which really helped to create a positive and friendly atmosphere. We were also taken to Zizzi's for lunch and provided with snacks throughout the day. I had my assessment day on Friday the 8th of September and was offered and accepted the role on the following Monday. I cannot speak more highly of my experience so far with Explore Learning and am so excited to start my journey with them.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel you can bring to the Assistant Director role?   Answer Question

26 Sep, 2017 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for leaving such a lovely review of your experience of the recruitment process. Welcome to the Explore family - enjoy settling in to your new role.