Explore Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Explore Learning Interview Questions

Updated 21 Jun, 2018

2.9

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in June-2018.

Interview

After my initial application I was contacted by Explore to arrange a telephone interview for the following week. In the telephone interview you discuss your experiences and a few scenario style questions. I was then invited for a centre interview which was good fun and great to see exactly what the job would entail. I was also able to experience what it would be like working with the children in the centre. I heard back regarding the centre interview the following evening, inviting me to an assessment day the following week. Explore are really organised and give you plenty of guidance in terms of what the day will entail and what you need to prepare making the whole process much easier. The assessment day itself was enjoyable and everyone was really friendly as you are not in direct competition with the other applicants. The assessment day consisted of another cv interview, role play, presentation, group task and a short maths and English test.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you worked as a leader and how you motivated your team?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in June-2018.

Interview

The application process was divided into 3 sections. Firstly there was an online application, this was comprised of uploading your CV and two questions.

Secondly, there was an interview at a centre local to me. During this I had a tour of the centre, a skills based interview, a role play and 15 minutes tutoring some children. The hardest part of this was the role play, but they do understand that it is nerve racking! My advice for this is to just be yourself, Explore aren't just looking for skills but also a friendly and passionate person that fits with their ethos.

Then was the assessment centre. This began with a presentation about the history of the company which was really interesting to learn about. Then I had to perform another role play, which was selling the Explore Learning package. This was the most nerve racking part of the day for everyone there, something which the recruitment staff definitely understood. I also had to present my personal compass, which was outlining a bit more about who I am as a person. I really liked this bit as I felt it said a lot about the company, they are really interested in you as an individual. Then I had to complete a basic maths and literacy test followed by another skills based interview. The interview process was really relaxed, they aren't testing you, it felt like having a conversation more than an interview. Finally there was the group activity, which was comprised of competing for limted funding for our buisness. My advice would be to not speak over other people in this bit, it's easy to get ahead of yourself and just begin shouting over others.

I was impressed with how fast they got back to me, the next morning I recieved a phone call saying I had got the job. How lovely Explore were through out the process cemented that I wanted to work for the organisation.

Interview Questions

• Are you a resilient person?
      How do you like to be managed?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)) in April-2018.

Interview

I applied on a Sunday Afternoon and the application form was pretty easy - just the standard plus two easy to answer questions about why you want to work for Explore and what skills make you suitable for the role (or along those lines). Got an email the following day asking me to book a phone interview which I booked for about a weeks time. The phone interview was quite easy too, just make sure you're familar with the companies visions, values and core competencies as you will be asked about these. The lady was very friendly and it took about 15 minutes and I was informed at the end that I was successful and had got through to the second stage - a centre interview. I was emailed almost immediately asking me to send my top 5 centres I would like to interview at and at least two weeks availability and I then got an email confirming a centre and date (the following Thursday at Leamington Spa). The centre was really nice and as were the interviewers - very friendly. I was asked about my CV and skills and how they would tie in with Explore then had to do a role play selling a 'gym membership' to a 'stranger' (the AD of that branch). I did it once, then got feedback and did it again following on the feedback - I would recommend really trying to build a rappor with the AD and asking lots of questions before jumping into a sales spiel. Then I had time to work with some of the children and help them with their work - make sure to be really praising, enthusiastic and friendly and talk to more than one child. I then finished and told 4 hours later that I had been successful and was going to have an assessment day in Guildford a few days later. I was sent feedback about how I did and tips for the assessment day as well as an agenda for the day which was helpful. The assessment day started at 9.30 and I met 13 other candidates who were all really friendly as it isn't competitive at all. We then had a presentation from the interviewers who again were lovely, then were given our individual time tables for the day. First I had the sales role play - selling a trial day to a 'stranger' (the interviewer) but only one chance to do it! They give you feedback and make sure you openly reflect and take the feedback well. I then gave my personal presentation which she asked questions on. After that I had the maths and English skills test (really basic) then had a short break so sat with some other candidates and we gave each other tips. I then had my final interview which was just about my skills and some sceanorio questions which were quite easy. We then went for lunch at Zizzi's which was so relaxed and fun and then came back for a group activity. Got the phone call offering me a job two days later and am thrilled to say I will start working in June. Overall it was well-organised, efficient, informing and help was available both online and you were given the head office number too. Sounds silly but I really enjoyed the whole process and am so excited to start my career!

Interview Questions

• The finance manager calls in a flurry and asks you to submit some figures for his meeting at 1pm (it's 12pm) and you say yes I'll get those done by 12.45pm. However, you spot a parent waiting at the gate with a brochure looking curiously. What do you do?   Answer Question

23 Apr, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for providing feedback about your application experience. It is great to read that you enjoyed the interview process and that you are looking forward to starting your career with us... More

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning in April-2018.

Interview

I applied online which was a fairly simple application, general information and two longer questions about why you wanted the role. I then organised a telephone interview which was around 20 minutes long, I'd done my research on the company beforehand so this went well and I was invited to a centre interview in Bedford. Explore are very helpful and try to arrange this in a centre close to where you live!

The centre interview involved some general questions, a tour of the centre and a role play where you have to sell a gym membership. You get to do this twice so make sure you're responsive to feedback. Bedford AD and CD were lovely and very welcoming.

I was then invited to an Assessment Day at Explore's head office in Guildford. The day is from around 9:30-4:30. The day consisted of two interviews, a presentation, a role play where you're selling the Explore membership, a written task and a group task. Explore also take you for lunch to break up the day. All of the staff made me feel very at ease and were welcoming and enthusiastic. Make sure you're passionate and informed about the company, and be confident in your experiences. I was worried about the written maths task and did some revision beforehand as I hadn't looked at maths in years! However it was fairly basic so don't worry about this.

I was called back two days after the day and offered the position! Overall the process was efficient and has made me excited to start with Explore!

Interview Questions

• Situational question: complete finance report or talk to new customer in the centre.   Answer Question

8 May, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your application and interview experience. I am so pleased to read you are excited to get started. Welcome to the Explore Family!

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in March-2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview, a centre interview in Cardiff and attended the Assessment Day in Guildford. The process lasted about 3 months, it was supposed to be shorter but due to university commitments I attended a later Assessment day.

The phone interview is very relaxed, but still formal so it's nothing to be worried about provided that you are prepared. Have a look at the company's website and note down their values and competencies. They're really looking to see how you can fit in with their visions and values and what you can bring to the company. I was told at the end of this phone call that I had been successful and that they wanted me to attend a centre interview in a centre of my choice.

I chose to interview at Cardiff Thornhill, the staff there were really friendly and made me feel really welcome. They gave me a membership package to look over before giving me a tour of the centre and conducting the interview and role play. The role play seems really scary but trust me it's not! They do put up a barrier to see how well you can think on your feet but as long as you think of the different reasons why people wouldn't want to join a gym i.e. to expensive, not enough time etc. then you'll be fine! Ultimately they're just looking to find out more about you, you're experiences and how you can fit in with the company - so just be yourself. I found out about the outcome of this interview 5 days later (it was over a weekend) and was super excited to find out that I was going to an assessment day in Guildford!

The Assessment Day was a really fun experience and was a great insight to the company. Throughout all the interviews the one thing that struck me was how enthusiastic everyone is about Explore Learning and about the job that they do, which really reinforced my desire to be a part of Explore. The day is structured as follows: an introduction to the company, a getting to know you interview, presentation and role play, English and maths test, lunch and then a group activity in the afternoon.

During the introduction everyone introduces themselves and you meet the interviewers, they go over the companies history and make you feel really comfortable. They made it very clear that we were not in competition with each other and that we should just be ourselves and enjoy the day. The getting to know you interview was very similar to the previous interviews, and involved talking about when and where I was looking to start working. After this I did the English and maths test, which was very basic and nothing to stress out about! Then I did the presentation and role play. This was the bit I was more nervous about as you have to present your personal compass (where you're from, where you're going, what makes you great and what makes you happy). The role play was similar to that in the centre interview except you were actually trying to secure a trial session for an Explore centre. I didn't manage to get the trial session, but I did get contact details and the feedback they provided was really informative.

After the morning we were treated to lunch at Zizzi's, which was really nice and gave me an opportunity to speak more to the other candidates and interviewers in a more relaxed environment. Just be careful not to get too relaxed and maintain your professionalism as they are still looking to find out who you are as a person.

The afternoon group activity was the part I was least worried about before hand, however it was more challenging than I had thought it would be. We each had to think of a word, put in in a bowl, select a word and talk about it for one minute. Then we were each given a character and asked to make up a back story for why we deserved a £25,000 investment. I was an entrepreneur looking to take my business global, others included a dog walking business and a makeup freelance artist. We had to pitch our ideas to the group and decide, as a group, who would get the money. If we couldn't decide then no body would get any money at all. I found this the most difficult as we had spent all day getting to know each other, and we wanted to give each other an opportunity to shine so no one really fought for the investment.

Interview Questions

• You're an Assistant Director at one of our Sainsbury's centers. You ask one of your tutors to go out into the store and hand out some leaflets, but they have some concerns about this and don't really want to do it. How would you approach this and motivate them to complete the task?   Answer Question
    • You're in one of our centres and the CD and other AD are out at a school workshop. You're the only one in the centre as it's midday and the phone rings. It's the finance office in Head Office and they're asking for the centre's finance report before a big meeting in an hour. It wasn't you're job originally but it needs to be completed before this meeting with the company's investors, you sit down to do the task and a woman walks into the centre. She picks up a leaflet and starts to look around. What would you do in this situation?   Answer Question

26 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed account of your application experience. It is great you found the experience positive and were offered a role at Explore. Enjoy getting to... More

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning in March-2018.

Interview

Submitted online application, quick response by email from Talent Team who organised an interview at a centre in the area based on my location preferences for 2 weeks later.

Attended the interview, felt the interviewer wasn't very interested in what I had to say and the questions were presented in a very wooden manner.

Felt slightly mislead by the online description as the interviewer never mentioned any of the skills you would need to implement in relation to managerial skills or customer service. He didn't really explain how the values and visions were implemented either but expected you to be able to talk about them continuously.
    Instead he seemed more interested in if you could sell in shopping centres, check students in and help the children. All things I was happy to do but that seemed like the biggest part of the role, so maybe the name of the role 'Assistant Director' isn't completely accurate.

The company do seem nice and I believe they would be good employers, but the fact this felt like a purely speculative interview with no promised job but to be put on a waiting list of sorts wasn't very appealing. When I asked about the progression options it all seemed quite dead end which was off putting for someone like me who wants to find a career to really develop in.

I read another review that commented on how the rapport building with the children was quite difficult and I tend to agree. Completely understand why it is done but when there were only 3 children in the area I was assigned to and they were being heavily attended by tutors and concentrating it seemed a little unfair to over disturb them. It would have made more sense to do this in the 'fun zone' area.

I think when it became obvious what the role really entailed I did lose interest and it probably reflected in my interview.

Interview Questions

• They were the standard skills questions in relation to the vision and values.   Answer Question

26 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience of the application process. Sorry to hear you feel your experience wasn't a positive one. If you haven't provided the feedback via another... More

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wood Green, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Wood Green, England (UK)).

Interview

The process took longer than usual. The website said that I will be contacted within two weeks of my application however, it took much longer and I had to call them to ask about it to which they replied that they will come back to me regarding this. They emailed almost 3-4 weeks after that. I have my telephone interview which discussed the role and they tried to undertand how much understanding I had about their methods of teaching and the environment at explore. I had done my research well and was invited for the assesment day at the end of the telephone interview.
    I attended the assesment day for which i had been given a timeline as towhat would happen on the day which was more or less followed. There were two other candidates attending the assesment day. There was a short presentation on the vision and values of explore in the beginning. Then I was interviewed by the centre director who asked me questions related to my CV and a few situational questions. Then the centre director pretended to be a kid unable to understand a question which i had to teach. Once i did that, she gave me feedback on my performance and then was told to teach a different question for her to be able to assess if I had taken her feedback and worked on that or not.
    Once the interview was over, I was given a literacy and numeracy test which i had to complete. That was fairly easy.
    Once that was done, all three of us were sent to different groups of kids to work with them. That was the best part of the day!
    We were then told that we would be contacted within a week to update us about the situation. I was called in 5 days and got the position.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

5 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your interview experience, and apologies that you weren't contacted within the expected time frame. Congratulations on securing the position - welcome to Explore!... More

Part-time Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dunstable, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Dunstable, England (UK)).

Interview

It took a few hours. I was with five other applicants. We were first shown a presentation of the company then we took a look around and saw other tutors at work and how they interact with the children.

Interview Questions

• If you had a shy child in your zone how would you get them to participate in the group?   Answer Question

5 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your interview experience. Congratulations, and welcome to the Explore family!

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in February-2018.

Interview

Initial interview took place at a local centre. Assessment Day took place at the recruiting HQ in Guildford. The process was very slick - I was informed the day after my initial centre interview that I had made it to the next stage. It took three working days before being notified of my Assessment Day result (unfortunately unsuccessful). Being called in person was nice and it was good to be told of the result after only a few days' wait. Feedback was available throughout the process and I'm positive I will re-apply - looking to implement and develop the feedback points from the AD in the coming months.

Interview Questions

• On the centre interview you will be asked to perform a role play where you sell a fictional gym membership to a customer (your interviewer) in a shopping centre. The goal is not to get the customer to sign up to the gym then and there, but to book in a free trial session where they can come and have a look around your fictional gym.

The exercise is essentially a direct 'metaphor' for what you will be doing as an Explore AD, for want of a better word. Explore spend a lot of time in shopping centres and other marketing points, meeting parents and encouraging them to sign up to free trial sessions where they are shown around a tuition centre. The gym exercise is all about building rapport with the customer. You could have the greatest gym in the world but if the customer doesn't like you as a person, then they're not going to bother coming to your gym. So get chatting with the customer - where are they from? How's their day going? Treat them like you would anyone else you're meeting for the first time! Eventually you can move the conversation to the gym. Really try and get to the bottom of what they are after in a gym. For instance, in my interview the customer wasn't bothered about weights or classes, they simply enjoyed running and wanted to get a bit better at it. It's a fictional gym so you might find yourself making things up about it on the spot - as long as it's realistic and addresses the customer's need then great!

Basically, the customer is buying into you, not the gym. Ten minutes spent getting to know them as a person is a much better than ten minutes spent spouting about how brilliant your gym is. When it comes to the Assessment Day, you will do a role play where you sell a trial day at an Explore centre. They're looking for your ability, put simply, to make the customer like you. Ask questions about the customer, their day, their kids, what their kids like doing, how they're finding parenting... if they like you as a person they're more inclined to book a trial session! What ultimately cost me was not getting to know the customer enough, launching straight into 'I'm from Explore Learning, and we do this, this, this, and that'. If they don't like you , they won't trust you, and certainly won't bother coming to a free trial!   Answer Question

5 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for reviewing your interview experience. I am glad you found the experience positive, and wish you all the best with your future career, and re-application to Explore, if you go ahead and... More

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Explore Learning (Guildford, England (UK)) in February-2018.

Interview

One interview at a centre in my local area which consisted of an interview, role play and chance to meet the kids. Then attended an assessment centre which included an interview, role play, maths and literacy test, presentation and group task. Everyone was lovely and welcoming.

Interview Questions

Explore Learning Response

5 Mar, 2018 – Graduate Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review your interview experience, I am glad you found everyone lovely and welcoming. All the best for your new career with Explore - welcome to the family!