Coolblue Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Coolblue Interview Questions

Interviews at Coolblue

2.8

Senior C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coolblue (New York, NY (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

I made it as far as the initial phone conversation with the recruiter.
    The positive aspect was that she was quick with both setting up the call and the feedback after, literally the next day.

During the phone call itself I got the impression that they were not looking for an experienced developer but rather a coach for Juniors who also worships TDD and indeed this was stressed to me in the feedback as one of the reasons why they won't continue.

The other reason is that apparently even though Javascript, Html, CSS knowledge is listed as a "plus" it's apparently a must.

Guys, first of all there's more than one right way to write software and TDD is only one approach, a good developer will always weigh his options depending on the situation and will not religiously worship one way.

Second, if you're looking for a Juniors coach and this is the most important quality in a senior developer for you, please emphasize this in the requirements.

Third, if my CV lists the fact that I'm a Backend Developer and nowhere are the words Javascript, Html etc written and you feel this is a must for you why call me at all and waste 30 minutes of my and your time.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

After applying with CV and cover letter I had a phone interview with a recruiter. Next step was an online assesment followed by and interview with the same recruiter and a business analyst. For that interview, I had to do an assignment on excel where I asked to find insights regarding a voucher campaign they had. After that interview , I had the final one with my current manager and a lead business analyst.

Senior Data Warehouse Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)) in January 2020.

Interview

Process was simple. One HR round and then one technical round. HR round was good, basically to check if the candidate fits into the team. Then the technical round. Questions were good but the attitude of the interviewer was intimidating. When I couldn't answer a question, one of them indicated other interviewer about my inability very evidently which was very unprofessional. Also, they were looking for the person less with a knowledge and more outgoing kind which gave the impression that CoolBlue doesn't care about work and also tried too hard to impress with their cool swings in the office, etc.

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)) in January 2020.

Interview

First, it was an HR call, then after a week I was in a skype interview with two guys, then they just decided to not continue with me without giving feedback.

Interview Questions

• no difficult question, just conversation, no technical questions   1 Answer

Interview

First there was a call to say why I want the job and what the job would entail.
    Then a practice email for a customer complaint, we then reviewed my response and how I can improve.
    Then a group interview/chat with some other potential candidates,, this is really informal
    Then a one on one phone excersize where they simulate a customer call

Interview Questions

• What do you do when someone calls I angry?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coolblue.

Interview

1) First we have a skype phone talk with HR. It was about who am i? what am i doing? Why i want this job? ..etc Easy phase
    2) After phone call i got second interview two days later with HR and a general manager. The second interview was basically about my former/current experiences,hobbies etc.. Easy phase
    3) The important one was the third interview. A week later i got third interview which was technical and i guess the most important one. I had interview with two team lead guys. Bruno and Wendil. (sorry for misspelling if there is one). The technical part was basically like that. First they give you a github repo address, you download it to your local, then share your screen with them. Then you begin talking about the project. What can be done to design it better? If there is any bad implementation , what can be done and why ? They expect you know SOLID,Defensive Programming,Dependency Injection,Sql injection problems in codebase ...etc . But the weird part was there was a code which connect database in the ui project. They asked me what can be done to do it better? I solved like the below
        a) Make a class library for Data entity layer(To connect db, make crud operations)
       b) Create a new class library for Business Layer.(This layer is for my business logic,rules. Also make connection between Entity layer and ui layer. I make interaction between Business and Entity via interfaces. So our projects would be loosely coupled. If i want to change my DB provider to another provider in the future, there will be no change in my business layer. That makes our codebase robust,flexible ...etc

I explained all that stuff to them. In the interview they said good,ok , we got it. Some answers like that. I never got any negative comments in the interview. Although when they return to me, they said i did not do well. Especially in a question (the former question i described above ) i create new project, violates single responsibility. That is not an approach of senior developer... some comments like that.

Actually the interview was not bad for me. Also in the interview i got responses like ok,good,we got it. But when they returned to me the answer was a bit different :) Anyway it was an experience for me.

Interview Questions

• They give you a github repo, then you try to explain the codebase to them. What can you do to design it better? Any problem or anti-pattern in codebase?   Answer Question

Lead Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)) in February 2019.

Interview

Basically you send a CV and a motivation letter and then you wait for them to consider your application. Waiting time is very long. They can contact you even months after you originally applied.

Interview Questions

• You will be required to write an essay to explain your perspective on certain topics. You are given no indication as to what they are interested to see in the essay. It is more of a "surprise me" type of assignment. No real feedback will be given back on your work.   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)) in August 2018.

Interview

I withdrew my application after the technical interview without hearing back from them. The discussion was insulting. It felt like an attempt both tell me about how amazing their analysis is while at the same time belittling all of my experience and knowledge.

The process consisted of applying via Stack Overflow careers, an informal screening interview with a technical recruiter and then a technical interview with the Data Science Manager and the recruiter.

Positively though, the technical recuiter was very friendly and responsive. He was happy to talk about the company and immigrating to the Netherlands.

Still, there is no way I would want to work in that team.

If you are still interested, prepare for a behavioral interview with a difference. Instead of letting you explain yourself and answer the question, you should expect to be consistently interrupted. These interruptions allow the interviewer to explain that you made terrible choices. So now you have two questions to answer. And so on.

Interview Questions

• What is a project that you have worked on that has involved machine learning?   Answer Question

Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)).

Interview

First the video call with the HR employee and your typical screening questions, what do you do, etc., as well as talking about the company and the benefits.

Then came the second video interview, which was with both the Team Lead and a Senior member of the team. They only cared about how my current company works, and not on my actual skills. A lot of questions about "how do you do X in your current job?" instead of how I have done it in the past/how would I do it right now. Unfortunately, my current job is not that good (makes sense why I'm trying to move) and I don't agree with a lot of things, so these questions put me in a really bad situation, which ultimately led to my rejection. This is literally their feedback:
    "Still many things are done manually. You don't have an automated process for baking and deploying EC2 instances. You didn't seem to have insights into what applications/teams spend which costs."
    That doesn't look like you were evaluating me at all, more like I was rejected because of the bad practices of my company. It's a shame that you didn't even bother to ask me how would I go about solving these issues if I had the chance, not even asked a proper technical question. I suggest that you strongly reevaluate how you do technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage EC2 instances at your current company?   Answer Question
    • Which AWS services do you use on a daily basis other than the "core" services?   Answer Question

Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coolblue (Rotterdam (Netherlands)) in June 2018.

Interview

Coolblue was the best company throughout all of the steps of my application. I have received extremely helpful and very intense information about Coolblue, the position I am applying for and about living and relocating to the Rotterdam. I'd highly recommend applying to Coolblue especially for engineers that are planning to relocate to the Netherlands.

Their onsite interview was quite soft which includes things like city tour with bikes, physical store visits, office tour, lunch with the team and so on. You're with them the whole day, but challenging part only takes an hour.

Even though I didn't get any offer at the end of the day, I can still tell that my experience was very positive.

As a constructive feedback, I might suggest Coolblue, to provide more concrete information about the reasoning behind the rejection. Asking candidates bunch of questions that don't have a single correct answer, and stating that the technical knowledge is not up to par at the end is not helpful. Take notes and try to state which answers you didn't like and what would be the correct approach/answer. Candidates are already applying to jobs knowing that they can be rejected. Just let them know why they did fail so they don't get confused. Being more transparent at the end will not hurt anybody.

Interview Questions

• How could you convince a different team to use different technologies?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.