BBC Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

BBC Interview Questions

Updated 18 Jun, 2018

3.1

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (London, CA (US)).

Interview

UNBELIEVABLY WOEFUL - If you are interested in taking things forward, being treated well as a candidate or working with progressive people - look elsewhere

Feedback was that the 'themes' were too high-level and, though appreciated, - they wanted more 'detailed' / 'in-the-weeds' response 'set' - so the question is why send out a high-level brief - the natural assumption is that the greater detail is discussed later in the process.

To be frank - I was warned that the BBC was an organisation that made life difficult - for itself. That said I cannot over emphasise what a strange experience it has been.
    The final straw was speaking to a member of the recruitment team - taking the time to extend in a constructive fashion just how flawed a process it was - out of a genuine place...

The response I got was ASTOUNDING. I asked - 'you don't sound at all interested' The response: 'Well you did prattle on a bit'. Hilarious admittedly - but deeply unprofessional and frankly alarming - totally arrogant! You do not speak to ANY candidate like that - let alone a senior one.

Humility is everything

Interview Questions

• Lets put this in context:

i was asked to put together a high-level presentation - with VERY little time - the BBC does nottake into account peoples personal circumstances - was asked to present to a relatively senior adience in a TINY room - with no presentation facilities nor the option to use notes or other presentation tools. Great start!

Frankly the whole session was an idea shopping session (how do we manage to achieve DG edicts!) or convoluted...asking for ways to sole deeply ingrained and institutional issues - if you answered correctly that, without understanding the causal internal factors for certain issues, you could create the most amazing learning program - however it may have minimal impact.

Questions generally were awful.   1 Answer

Senior Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC.

Interview

Started off with scheduled phone interview where manager rescheduled appointment less than 30 minutes prior to call. On day of interview, no show on call. 1 hour later I get email to reschedule for same day 2 hours later. FOUR hours later I get email to reschedule to following day. Call rescheduled and with 5 minutes to go an email pings with a casual "sorry will be 15." Call happens ONE hour later. Lasts an hour....

In-person interview scheduled. I am sitting in a lobby with no attendant. I email HR and no response. I ask a random man coming out of bathroom to help me locate the person I have appointment with. He figures out how to use the empty reception desk after a few fumbles. Then I am shuttled by him to the next floor. Strangely HR takes through a tour of the newly renovated section of offices they work. I later learn it is not where position I'm applying for would work. When I do get taken to the dept I am interviewing in, it is dark, dank, depressing and sad. True to form of how phone times were scheduled, the in-person interview matched the nature of the manager-- distracted, scatter-brained, unprofessional and disorganized.

Surprisingly advanced to next round by being asked to do an "assignment" aka free work. Never hear feedback but requested in again for another in-person interview with senior team. The boss made no eye contact and fumbled around unable to answer simple questions about size of teams or upcoming project outlook.

Interview Questions

• Asked a question that I took time to answer already in the assignment (which was critiquing previous work done by dept). This showed me no one went over my assignment nor read any of it.   Answer Question

Consistent display of unprofessionalism and amateur behavior. Confirmed the negative reviews.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC (Edina, MN (US)) in May-2017.

Interview

I was described the job then I was asked a few questions then forwarded on to a second interview . The second interview was very informative and he asked if I had any questions. Then I had to meet with the person that I had the first interview with and he asked if the person who did the second interview was professional then he said he'd call me within a couple hours and let me know if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Why I would be good at the job   1 Answer

Assistant Editor/Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BBC (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The staff was extremely kind and professional and made me feel welcome at the office. They took the time to ask great questions and really seemed to value my time. I ended up not getting the job, but they sent a very kind follow up email saying that they would consider me in the future if a position more fit for my specific skills came up. Great hiring team and overall fantastic learning experience that will inform how I handle future interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked for a portfolio of my editing and film work.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BBC (Edina, MN (US)).

Interview

Very interactive and easy going. They made you feel comfortable. They informed me about d company what I should expect as start my first day and also the benefits of working for the company.

Sales and Marketing Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BBC (Edina, MN (US)) in July-2016.

Interview

First I was phone screened. The next was a one on one interview performed by an Assistant Manager in his office. And the next was performed by a Corporate Trainer offsite at a coffee shop. The Corporate Trainer was very knowledgeable and interviewed well, and free coffee is always a win. After meeting with the Corporate Trainer, the had me meet with an Office Manager to go over any questions that I may have.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Brocater Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (Rochester, NY (US)) in March-2016.

Interview

Online application followed by a two person panel interview. The whole process took about 4 weeks. 40-minute competency-based interview + news test – compose a running order from a series of press releases.

Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BBC (Washington, DC (US)) in January-2014.

Interview

they met me in a conference room and spoke with my about my work and asked me what my goals are. they asked me about my previous jobs and what I liked about them

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for this company   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BBC in July-2013.

Interview

asked questions about my background and what I would bring to the table. Also asked my strengths and weaknesses in regards to the business and business professional lifestyle. They liked my interest in marketing which was shocking for an accountant role. So talk up marketing

Digital Producer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BBC (New York, NY (US)) in November-2012.

Interview

one phone interview and one on site interview.
    All questions are simple, just be familiar with your resume and your technical skills.