Abebooks Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Abebooks

3.3

SDE1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC).

Interview

Had six interviews most questions were behavioural with only 2 easy technical questions. Interviewers were looking to understand work style and look for any potential red flag. Overall, I expected the interview to be more technical since it was for a junior position but mostly focused on behavioural and previous experience questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a conflict with a superior and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe an experience where you let your team down or did not do a good job?   Answer Question
    • Describe mistakes that you made or things that you did wrong?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you missed a deadline   Answer Question
    • Describe a project where you had to do system design?   Answer Question
    • Describe a difficult debugging problem that you had? and what made it difficult?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abebooks (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in July 2019.

Interview

I went trough 7 interviews, including the whole day on-site. Overall, the experience was positive. Given that I was based in Germany and the recruiter in Canada, they answered all my emails promptly and organised interviews efficiently. All interviewers asked behavioural questions which, especially during on-site interview, was boring: I received similar questions and repeated same stories over and over again. This part I found quite exhausting and monotonous.

In the end, I received a very general answer, which I am sure did not reflect reality, saying that my profile did not closely matched the role. What? They made me and AbeBooks employees to spend (or rather waste) so much time just to figure out the mismatch? This was the biggest frustration of the overall experience: they should have figured this out at the very beginning of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at AbeBooks.
      Tell me about a time when... you struggled with a project; you had to made a difficult decision; you took a risk etc   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC) in November 2018.

Interview

Applied through Amazon jon portal. Recruiter contacted after 4 weeks. First Telephonic with Product Manager and Second Telephonic with CEO.

Needed consistent followups to get updates. Both the rounds had behavioral questions and both the interviewers appreciated my technical depth and breadth. But, it was very evident that it was little overwhelming for a mediocre company like Abebooks. Ultimately, they decided to fill this role with a non technical candidate and gave me a pass.

I must add a very specific feedback about Amazon hiring process. Though the company prides itself about the 14 principles, none of them are evident in their actions during hiring process - none at all. I will be surprised if they do infact follow these in their projects, for real.

Interview Questions

• standard behavioral questions. Tell me about a time - you took leadership, you had a challenge, you managed ambiguity, you did something to enhance customer satisfaction..   Answer Question

Sales and Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC).

Interview

The hiring process is super long. First you take an analytical test and then a psychological test. Then the interview was with 3 different rounds with 4 different managers. Most of it was behavioural questions. They want you to tell a story about what you did and how you overcame it and what you learned from it. Overall it felt like each round was asking the same questions so you felt repetitive. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that there was conflict in a group setting and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Abebooks.

Interview

First interview with two developers, asked questions about data structures like hashmaps and general behavioural situational questions. Second interview with two more developers, lots more data structure/algorithm questions. Prepare by studying all common data structures.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult situations at work and how you responded?   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC) in April 2017.

Interview

They scheduled a first interview with someone from RH, who made simple questions regarding the motives I choose AbeBooks and why would I move to a smaller city.
    Days later, they scheduled another interview with the head of the department I would work for, my future boss.
    He started asking about some tech stuff, following by some specific questions of my experience in software architecture.

Interview Questions

• A questions regarding the motives I choose AbeBooks and why would I move to a smaller city.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Coop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC) in February 2017.

Interview

Two round. First round is online coding, mine was 2 hours and 4 questions. The difficulty is easy to medium on Leetcode. Second round is onsite interview with two 30 minutes back to back interview. Both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• A design question without coding. They made you use the whiteboard if you need to. The question was pretty simple, it involved creating an API call of some sort.   1 Answer

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview process took a while. All interviews had many behaviour questions such as describe the situation, show me the example and etc. There is a small chronology:
    1) First phone screen with database developer. He asked about my experience, tools and etc.
    2) SQL test. It wasn't difficult. They provided a data model and database and ask to answer several questions and send SQL queries.
    2) Second phone screen with Manager.
    3) On-site interview. It was a nice journey to Victoria. I spent a whole day in the company and had multiple interviews with various teams and managers. In addition, got a small analytical test. Wasn't complicated. This day was challenging but it definitely worth the effort.

Interview Questions

• Describe the situation with your experience, when you were wrong or give me example when you constantly something improving   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Abebooks (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Abebook's website and they responded in a week with a time for a phone interview. The connection was somewhat glitching, but overall it was an easy interview.

Following that they organized a series of in-house interviews that revolved mostly around my past experience and previous work. Questions seemed to revolve around Amazon principles with a constant focus of past situations.

Overall the process was fun and the interviewers were nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguity in emails? Tell me about a time when you made a mistake. Tell me a situation when you disagreed with your manager. Tell me about a difficult situation you handled with a customer.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abebooks.

Interview

It was a panel interview and was completely focused on standard behavioral questions. It was very impersonal and genetic yet didn't cover any of my previous experience. There were some complex math questions they wanted me to complete in my head. One guy was insistent on asking a ton of trick questions that he thought were clever, but were not logical. My answers were correct and logical but I could tell he wasn't happy with my answers because it wasn't what he had thought of first. It was almost like he was jealous and too arrogant to consider a different perspective than his own. I left feeling like I would never want to work there or apply for a position in the future. I never got an offer but was planning on declining anyways. The questions I posted are not a joke, they are exactly what I was asked. Part of an interview should also be convincing the candidate that they would want to work there, but I was certainly not convinced in the slightest. They just kept pointing out that they had a nice office, and nothing about the people.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.