XSENSOR Technology Reviews

Updated May 20, 2020

4.8
XSENSOR Technology Founder, CEO and CTO Ian Main (no image)
Ian Main
  1. "Interesting Projects, Great Coworkers!"

Current Employee - Research Assistant, R&D

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work on a number of products under development at Xsensor. Each project is always interesting and at times a challenge to find the information required, which lets me flex my problem solving skills. The small team size allows for both collaboration and autonomy, each rewarding in its own way.

Cons

The open concept office plan is great for creating community, but sometimes, especially if another project team is having a meeting in the same space, it can become distracting.

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - New Product Development Assistant in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time

Pros

The company is constantly improving upon existing technologies while looking for new opportunities for growth within the industry, which makes it an interesting and exciting environment to work in that encourages the use of creativity when problem-solving. The staff and management are friendly and supportive.

Cons

While the open-office floor plan leads to collaboration and fun company culture, it can at times be distracting. However, the company is accomodating and will work with you to create an environment that supports your productivity.

3. "Awesome company with lots of oppourtounities"

Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can think of countless pros of working in XSENSOR, some are having flexibility in your working hours, the trust team members have in you to tackle problems, the fun journey to learn/grow along the way and struggle with challenges, and finally solve them with a great sense of achievement and lots of new skills and experience. The team are very supportive and friendly as well! I have also had the opportunity to work on exciting projects that directly impact the next generation of XSENSOR cutting-edge technology, and had the chance of working directly with the CEO and management team who have an open-minded and forward-looking vision. The last benefit that has worked out well for me is the location of the office which is downtown and very accessible via CTraing and bike routes.

Cons

While working in a small team can help you build unique skills, you sometimes find yourself solving a problem all by yourself and that can be time-consuming considering the time you need to spend exploring and searching for the answer while in a big team you might get fresh eyes on a problem you're dealing with. Working on so many different projects is awesome and exciting; however, prioritizing the tasks to find a solution for each project and making progress can be challenging. But I have to mention the management team is very accessible and you can always discuss your roadblocks, progress, and concerns with them!

4. "A dynamic, exciting workplace!"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time

Pros

Innovative atmosphere. Employees are given a lot of freedom to tackle problems. Flat company hierarchy means easy communication with management.

Cons

Informal atmosphere may not be for everyone. Smaller company size can mean less structure than some are used to.

5. "Interesting work, intelligent coworkers and accessible management"

Current Contractor - Design Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology

Pros

Xsensor is a small company of very smart people who work on cutting edge technology and a wide range of cool projects. The size means that you will meet and work with nearly everyone, and you will learn a ton from them. Management is accessible and earnestly try to empower employees to do interesting work. I have had the chance to work on great projects and I am given the freedom to structure them as I see fit. I find myself motivated to be at work and try hard every day - not something that happens at many jobs!

Cons

The lack of formal structure is a benefit for me, but it does mean that there is no clear cut career progression or opportunity for advancement. Employees are also responsible for solving problems on their own which can be empowering but can also be overwhelming or difficult. This has never been a true obstacle but can make things tough when starting out, especially since deadlines can be aggressive. Depending on the role, salary may not be entirely competitive with other companies in Calgary.

6. "Challenging in the best way"

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time

Pros

- Fantastic coworkers! I look forward to working with them every day! - My work is challenging and rewarding - not only do I grow every day by learning new things and working through novel design problems, the work that I do directly contributes to products that make a difference to both the company and our end users! - Culture of learning - nothing is a "failure", everything is a learning opportunity that can be used to improve future performance - Small company - if you are hungry for more responsibility within your role, there is that opportunity.

Cons

This is a pro and a con, but sometimes because of the flexibility in our processes there is a lack of visibility regarding the best next step. Luckily, there are senior staff members whose experience guides that process.

7. "Great company, excellent employees, neat products/technology = Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been working with XSENSOR for a short period, but in this time I have learned a lot. The products, solutions, and technology we produce are world-class and have a diverse set of applications, markets, and verticals. The company has great management in place that offers excellent leadership, supports growth for employees, and an excellent business outlook for foreseeable future. Overall and from the outset, XSENSOR is a great place to work, offers advancement for those that are ambitious, and is fair to all of its employees. Excellent work/life balance and the work is fun.

Cons

The company/organization is relatively small, but has a big reputation to uphold and global footprint to maintain. XSENSOR is managed/organized better than many other companies of similar size but there could be better communication across the board.

8. "XSENSOR: Innovative Technology and Research"

Former Intern - Engineering Coop in Calgary, AB

I worked at XSENSOR Technology for less than a year

Pros

Exciting technology. Very smart, passionate team that was always willing to help. I always knew where to ask when I had questions. I had the opportunity to work directly with the CEO during my COOP work term and had direct input into a future product.

Cons

The basement is very active which may be hard for some to work in, but the products in development justify the activity

9. "Awesome Work Environment"

Current Employee - Director of Manufacturing in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with XSENSOR for about a year, and what a year it has been. Coming from the well established HVAC industry into a new industry I wasn't sure what to expect. The XSENSOR team is very welcoming and friendly group to work with. Being a relatively small team, everyone is given the opportunity work on projects individually, but the team is always there to support when needed. There is freedom to disagree and challenge each other. Everyone from top to bottom is intimately involved in product design and manufacturing which allows for easy communication and pride in the product leaving the door. XSENSOR strives to be the best at what they do. This allows individuals pursue projects that will make our sensors and software systems of the highest quality. Constant improvement and innovation are company goals that allow will to grow our product portfolio and pursue new markets along with improving our current offering. The flexible and pleasant work environment allows for lower stress levels but remains challenging. There is always enough work to be completed.

Cons

The only con that has come up over the last year was my initial start. On-boarding for my position was difficult due to the quick transition of my predecessor to another career. This did allow me to jump head first into the role, ask stupid questions and build good team moral by including staff in training me on how our products are produced and involving them in decisions. Everyone in the company was extremely helpful in bringing me up to speed. In the long run, I think this has helped my personal development in organizing new information and making decisions with limited knowledge.

Continue reading
  10. "XSENSOR: Small but Strong company with world leading technology"

4.0
    Current Employee - Financial Controller in Calgary, AB

I have been working at XSENSOR Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, great team, supportive and helpful teamwork. Good locations. Great opportunity for people to learn and grow.

Cons

Change doesn't happen quickly which in some cases is good and some cases not so much. No policies and procedures. Don't recommend to drink the coffee in the office.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 English Reviews