The RealReal Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Dec 6, 2019

2.8
The RealReal CEO Julie Wainwright
Julie Wainwright
Pros
  • "The Company Has Consideration Towards The Company By Preparing Free Lunch,Breakfast And Much More(in 28 reviews)

• "Hands on experience with all different luxury designers(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Similar to the environment of junior year in high school(in 24 reviews)

• "MANAGEMENT (they always talk about internal promotions but so far I've only seen external hiring for upper management/higher positions i(in 20 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Dev Team"

I worked at The RealReal

Pros

The dev team is really tight. Lots of good communication from all the way up. Great experience with the now-CTO.

Cons

There was some conflict with the Lead Engineer and the Project Manager, but not much.

The RealReal2017-06-06

"Operations Manager"

I have been working at The RealReal

Pros

I love working for a sustainable company that keeps counterfeits out of circulation! The people are awesome and working hard to execute with integrity. If you are hardworking and perform well there is a lot of growth opportunities.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but the company is growing quickly so you have to be comfortable managing change.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! So excited to go carbon neutral, proud to work here.

The RealReal2019-11-24
  3. "Really Great"

I worked at The RealReal

Pros

Super friendly colleagues and environment

Cons

No cons, maybe more growth

The RealReal2019-11-17
  4. "Really cool place to work"

Current Employee - Client Account Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn a lot here about PaaS sales. You will use relevant technology that is transferrable to many different jobs. The environment is unique and interesting where you are looking at cool products daily and learning about ROI.

Cons

Pay is low for the industry but this is expected with entry-level sales jobs

Advice to Management

Prioritize training on prospecting and sales practices.

The RealReal2019-11-11

"NOT APPRECIATED"

Current Employee - Photographer in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro with working with the people with the same title as you, not your manager, not HR, and especially not the CEO Julie

Cons

The company over works you and under pays you. You have to hit a MASSIVE production quota and you are treated like a robot. You work with photographers who do the same job as you but the pay amongst them are very different. The company doesn't appreciates it's employees and brushes off any complaints you make. The CEO even took away the company holiday party we had this year because of budgeting?? Although we all... know she'll be attending one herself. If you really want to know the real REAL BS that goes on with this company, speak with any of the mannequin photographers.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees, ask them how they really feel about their positions because not everyone is being heard. We are human beings, not mechanical robots.

The RealReal2019-11-23

"just another 'disgruntled' worker here"

Current Employee - Copywriter

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, free bagels on Fridays (I guess that's a pro?), shuttle bus, $50 Eatclub stipend monthly. The job is not terribly hard, but as all the headlines say, it's quite difficult to take the time to authenticate each and every item with our quotas (but we manage). It's very cool to see all of these products come in that I wouldn't see elsewhere. I will say that our training is getting more intricate and there... is an obvious effort to better our practices and authentication process. Ever so often we have higher-ups come and visit the warehouse, but it always feels forced. It's very us and them. They stop by every few months to say hey, we're here for you, and then leave. Don't really know if that's a pro or con, as I know many other large companies hardly ever have their CPOs come to the warehouses as often as they do.

Cons

HR and management are god awful. No room for growth. I wonder how many employees end up in their corporate offices after working in their warehouse facilities when they make it so difficult to change positions or move up. You have to be in one role for a year if you want to switch to any other type of role. Management hardly gives you any time off. It's as though keeping your job > living your life. Replacing us... with automation goes to show that the copywriting position that once was is really quite a simple task now, and yet we get all the blame when we make mistakes. Furthermore, if you're going to replace much of what we do, why not allow us to take time off?! I enjoy writing and looking at vintage or archival pieces when we receive them, but by allowing automation to replace our copy, I think it undermines the history and thought of designers' works. If this is a fashion company, then you should be highlighting highly-coveted archival pieces. I have seen so many famous pieces sell for much cheaper than market price because copywriters do not have proper training or education on fashion history.

Advice to Management

Some managers seemingly have nothing better to do than to be rude and cold to their employees. If you want us to be working this hard, you should cultivate a more welcoming environment. As I said previously, HR is absolute garbage, and have done things to several of my peers and me that are just absolutely despicable. These are people who's SINGLE job is to address the wellbeing of employees and are repeatedly... negligent of our concerns. Copywriters + authenticators are the backbone of this company, and although that's changing with automation, these people at your warehouses deserve better than what they get. To say that the 30-some copywriters that came forward in the recent investigation were 'disgruntled' is laughable. We're all 'disgruntled', but we need a roof over our heads and food on our plates. Also, a better PR team is recommended. In order to garner trust from your consumers, you have to have a better relationship with them + the public, especially if you aspire to be the Nordstrom of resale e-commerce. The defensive position in press releases will not stand much longer. Although TRR has a very good selling point for people who seek brand purpose (sustainability) the overflow of headlines that accuse the company of selling fakes subverts that. Again, I am interested in what this company is doing and excited to see where it goes as the market for sustainable fashion grows exponentially, but there are deep systematic changes that need to be made.

The RealReal2019-11-13
  7. "Terrible place to work!"

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food. That's about it.

Cons

The biggest con is that you never get your full paycheck. You work overtime and they offer bonuses but you have to fight to get your bonus money. I have never worked in a place where I have to wonder every pay period if my paycheck will be correct. The company is unorganized and is still trying to' figure things out' after being in business almost 10 years. I would never recommend this place to anyone! Wait for... the right job to come, don't work at this place.

Advice to Management

Get some experience.

The RealReal2019-12-06
  8. "Do not care at all about employees"

I worked at The RealReal

Pros

I cant think of any pros to be honest

Cons

Management is so fake and disrespectful. All they care about is that we make them look good. Honestly despicable human beings. They also set the tone so employees treat each other like trash as well. These positive reviews gave got to be fake/planted. You can cut the negative energy with a knife. If you like working in an “all about me” atmosphere go right ahead.

Advice to Management

Have any of you even been managers before? Maybe read a book on it or something.

The RealReal2019-12-04
  9. "Competitive and laid-back"

Former Employee - Sales and Business Development Representative

I worked at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

the office is quite laid back you are not micro-managed opportunity for bonuses + sales commission

Cons

still very much a start-up

The RealReal2019-10-23
  10. "Your Job is Your Life"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Subsidized lunches, (mostly) friendly work environment, semi-flexible schedules & management that’s willing to work with you

Cons

It’s not an easy job. The quotas can be difficult to make depending on how you feel that day, what items you’re working on and whether or not you took too much time at lunch. Individual copywriters are also held responsible if a fake item gets through, so it can be stressful. However, you can tell the company recognizes this and tries to make up for it with flexible scheduling and lunches. The job also feels a lot... like being in school. Getting “assignments” in on time and staying off our cellphones. I’d say it’s just OK. It’s good for a young person just starting out, but if you have a family I’d think seriously before taking the position. There’s a lot of overtime, and sometimes it’s not a choice.

Advice to Management

Numbers aren’t everything.

The RealReal2019-10-19