TNTP Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2020

3.5
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg
Pros
  • "Most work from home but the work is quite organized with weekly meetings(in 11 reviews)

• "Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it(in 6 reviews)

1. "good company"

Current Employee - QA Engineer

I have been working at TNTP full-time for less than a year

Pros

good communication, good work environment

Cons

none none nonenone none nonenone none nonenone none none

2. "Challenging Work, Great People, Good Cause, Long Hours"

2.0
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of ways to add value. Lots of great people in programs. Doing amazing work.

Cons

Management does not value support teams. Insanely long hours. No Work/Life Balance. Does not promote from within.

3. "Only Do It If You Are Desperate"

1.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You meet some really cool folks and the kids are ok. There are some trainings that are helpful. Not many though..

Cons

The coaches stress you out and make it wayyy harder than it is. They cater to Baltimore natives I guess because nobody wants to teach there. If you have an alternate plan than pick it and save yourself 6000 dollars!

4. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Classroom Observer

I have been working at TNTP part-time for less than a year

Pros

This position has Flexible hours

Cons

There were none in my experience

5. "Amazing people, great mission, every evolving culture"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are some of the best I've ever worked with. Our work is focused on serving the all students, especially those who are under served.

Cons

Culture can be challenging at times

6. COVID-19

"Culture gets more hypocritical every day"

1.0

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working with many of my colleagues. A lot of really smart hardworking people work at TNTP. I feel truly blessed to have worked with some of the people I have worked with.

Cons

A lot of those smart hardworking people are being taken advantage of. Face it, TNTP does not practice what it preaches. We know about how to run organizations well and how you should treat staff, we tell clients about it all the time, but our own practices are so bad and leadership keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Salaries and benefits are mediocre and it still seems like we always need to tighten the belt more. The executive team constantly pretends to staff that things are more OK than they are and comes up with all kinds of doublespeak to justify all the decisions they make behind closed doors. Because we were 100 per cent remote even before COVID you don’t know if what you are hearing from your supervisors is what other people are hearing. Even after changing to how management works, managers have too much power over the career pathways of their direct reports. The goals process is such a waste of time because your evaluation is still going to come down to your relationship with your manager. Communication is very inconsistent and at times dishonest. Just say you need to lay people off for financial reasons instead of isolating individual staff members and making their lives so miserable that they quit, and then filling the roles with temps or not at all. Leaders are also awful at responding to criticism and go on about how employees need to demonstrate “TNTP core values” by being good sports and putting up with bad policies or mistakes. “Extending grace” gets mentioned a lot but mostly when leadership wants the rank and file to forgive them for a mistake, while expectations placed on staff in return are unreasonable. Flexibility of working from home is meaningless if you are just working all the time. I would understand if it were an accepted part of the culture, but don’t pretend like you care about not burning out your staff and then burn them out anyway. Just be honest.

"Overall great experience"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with incredibly competent and passionate coworkers, very flexible workplace in lots of ways - work from home, follow interests and shift internally to work on different types of work, expectation of supportive managers, there's a lot of pros.

Cons

Sometimes out of touch leadership, often heavy workload, sometimes patronizing approach to consulting, sometimes inconsistent management

Continue reading

"Partner, Client Team (Regional)"

2.0
    Current Employee - Client Partner in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home and setting own schedule is a definite plus for those of us with young children. Autonomy is helpful.

Cons

This executive leadership group is the pits. Incestuous, plays favorites, makes unrealistic demands of teams, hypocritical, not transparent. In some organizations, there are people at the top of the food chain who truly do not know how to “lead”. This is that organization. Any flowery 5 star reviews to the contrary have likely been posted by HR.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility and autonomy to independently lead projects and drive your own work

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

10. "Flexible working enviornment"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible location and work is great

Cons

Work life balance can be tough at times

Found 85 reviews