Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Sep 17, 2019

Found 566 reviews

3.4
Sylvan Learning Centers CEO John McAuliffe (no image)
John McAuliffe
Pros
  • "Great interaction with co-workers, flexible hours, and great opportunity to teach students(in 26 reviews)

• "Working with kids, working for a small business (most Sylvans are franchised), corporate support(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, the business is very seasonal and there are very few full time opportunities(in 27 reviews)

• "Quick learning curve with tutors teaching students by themselves very fast(in 20 reviews)

1. "Great steady position"

Current Employee - Centre Director

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- great place to work with children from k to 12 - hands on experience with curriculum development - flexible schedule - smaller company, everyone is friendly

Cons

- vacation and benefits can't be compared to corporate companies - not much of a career path

Sylvan Learning Centers2019-07-17
  2. "Amazing job at sylvan learning center"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good programs, no prep

Cons

The rate of pay was not very high for my qualifications

Sylvan Learning Centers2019-05-23

"No Room for Growth"

Former Employee - Center Director in Calgary, AB

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with kids was a great experience, especially seeing them gain confidence and improve academically.

Cons

Terrible hours, usually 11-7, sometimes 12-8. No room for growth. Once you are a center director, unless you somehow get your foot in the door to corporate, there are no promotions. The job is also very sales driven, pressuring parents to pay an astronomical amount of money for programs their kids don't necessarily need.

Sylvan Learning Centers2019-05-04
  4. "Great environment to learn, poor pay"

Current Employee - Tutor in Guelph, ON

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Bosses are very compassionate and will work with your schedule - Great experience working with children - Very comfortable working environment; everyone helps everyone!

Cons

- Poor pay for the qualifications needed (I make the same amount as my supervisor who works ten times the hours I do) - Limited hours if you're not management, but management constantly complains about how many hours they work - Management very weary of handing over any responsibilities to workers (very controlling)

Advice to Management

If you want to employ certified teachers, you need to increase pay and give more hours. Maybe give more responsibilities to teachers for more hours

Sylvan Learning Centers2019-01-25
  5. "Great Job"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Learned lots, coworkers are amazing

Cons

Limited hours if working other jobs

Sylvan Learning Centers2019-01-14

"the worst experience"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

this job is all about cons.

Cons

two hours a week with minimum pay for teaching three elementary to high school kids at a time never felt respected or appreciated they easily cancel your hours without notice and never pay you for that they make you teach whatever course or subject without giving you a tiniest training or without making sure you are the proper person for that subject, JUST DO IT

Advice to Management

next time ask yourself who in the right mind wants to do teaching for a minimum pay and only for 2 hours a week????

Sylvan Learning Centers2018-11-23
  7. "tutor/teacher"

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

enjoy working with students and see them achieve success

Cons

want more hours and more time

Sylvan Learning Centers2018-09-30

"not a good job"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Try for experience only.

Cons

Very low pay that require a degree. Stressful, not very supportive management. Manager tries to get me to come in early and work a bit for free by helping her do her job. Had a student that couldn't comprehend reading material, rather than getting something he can comprehend and work up, manager told me to read it out loud to student and basically do the work with him(give him the answers) while getting on your... back because you aren't spending enough time with the other 2 students. Kind of hard to do when you have to give full attention to one person.

Advice to Management

If students are falling behind the program, you need to adjust rather then get the instructor to push them through it while doing all the work for them.

Sylvan Learning Centers2018-05-15
  9. "teacher"

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Great staff, very supportive and friendly they are truly passionate about education and the students who are attending there

Cons

Hours are usually after school, and it can go towards 8pm at night but otherwise all good

Sylvan Learning Centers2018-02-06
  10. "Centre Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule rewarding experience great opportunity to learn more about small businesses and exercise marketing strategies

Cons

benefits and compensation plans can be improved

Sylvan Learning Centers2018-01-11