SpaceX Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

SpaceX CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

1,049 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fast-paced environment provides endless learning opportunities" (in 128 reviews)

• "Working at SpaceX gives you the opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the US" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance isn't great but not as bad as most make it out to be" (in 230 reviews)

• "There are times I work very long hours including a few times working 60 straight hours" (in 353 reviews)

1. "Great"

Pros

Innovation in rocketry
    Amazing tools and technologies available
    Talented engineers who are very passionate and knowledgeable.
    Fulfilling work knowing what we are accomplishing.

Cons

None that I can think of. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2. "Good company"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

Truly making a difference in the world.

Cons

None, you get to help a lot of people

3. "Rewarding Experiences"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are given real responsibility for flight-critical functionality. The Responsible Engineer culture at SpaceX means you own things from beginning to end. All that cheering during launches and landings is because critical pieces that people saw through from beginning to end are working!

Cons

... you're given lots of responsibility? You definitely need to be humble, communicate clearly, and ask for help when needed. Otherwise, you could easily get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for sustainability. The fact that people are staying at SpaceX for many years (and sometimes coming back after working elsewhere) means we are on the right track.

4. "Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There’s never a dull moment at SpaceX. The work is incredibly challenging and rewarding, and you get to work alongside some of the most talented individuals. The company is constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries of aerospace. Being able to see a launch live or watch the team outside of mission control is truly an awe-inspiring experience.

Cons

Compensation package and benefits could be more competitive.

5. "Hard, Meaningful Work"

Current Employee - Integration and Test Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Integration and Test Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate people - very rare to find a place where everyone is so excited about that they do

Cons

Hard work and long hours

6. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Full Stack Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of autonomy to work on what you want to do

Cons

Perhaps too many separate initiatives as everyone strives for a goal without necessarily coordinating processes/techniques.

Advice to Management

Simplify more if possible (technical architecture, manufacturing processes)

7. "Very challenging, very fulfilling"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down, no other company (or government for that matter) is pushing the boundaries of space exploration and access at the same rate that SpaceX is. I work here because I believe that I can personally have the largest possible positive impact on the world by spending my time and energy supporting SpaceX's mission.

There is a real and widespread sense of the importance and impactfulness of what we're doing, and everyone, management to new hires, bring an urgency and drive to their projects that is unmatched anywhere else I know of.

Individual contributors are given a huge amount of responsibility and can make significant contributions to big projects and milestones on an accelerated timeline with minimal bureaucracy.

Cons

Responsibility is a double edge sword, and the drive for extreme ownership and personal responsibility can be very stressful at times, and very rewarding at others.

SpaceX can also quickly take over large swaths of your free time as you find yourself working long hours - it's important to set clear personal work/life boundaries for yourself here, and make sure you work at a pace that is sustainable for you. Other people and management won't do that for you at SpaceX, and people occasionally fail to find that correct balance for themselves and burn out.

8. "Amazing"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

SpaceX's bold and inspirational mission along with already having very impressive accomplishments got my attention in the first place. What I didn't realize until later is how incredible it feels to contribute to some of the most amazing engineering accomplishments of our time.
    I work on the flight software engineering team. The team is exceptionally talented and helpful. Because we're co-located (all engineering is mostly on the same floor of one building) communication is effortless - just walk over. Access to information and production facilities is top-notch and there are very few impediments to getting things done as compared to other places I've worked. When trying to get help with something I'm new to I never hear "I'm too busy for that, send an email to my manager" - people will put aside what they're working on to understand your problem and help you get on the right path to resolving it. I've never felt so productive until joining SpaceX.
    We do work long weeks (50-60 hours on average, not crazy) but it is almost always self-imposed - you feel empowered to and responsible for achieving your own goals despite emergent work creeping in. Even though we work hard people stay very professional and courteous - it's not as stressful as one might expect and the feeling of personal accomplishment goes a long way.
    Mobility within the software engineering organization is encouraged as is learning new skills and continuously challenging how things are done. In this kind of environment you can grow exceptionally fast.
    The projects here move very fast and you will have a crucial impact on everything you choose to contribute to. You will not be bored.

Cons

The Los Angeles area is expensive as many sources can confirm, and the commuting experience can be unpleasant depending on where you live. The immediate area is mostly industrial so living close to work is generally out of the option.

9. "SpaceX Review"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very tangible individual contributions to the company objectives and missions. Everyone is passionate and bought into the larger company goals.

Cons

Lots of directional changes in priority that make it difficult to maintain consistency on projects.

10. "Incredible mission"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unrivaled ownership.
    Incredible growth opportunities.
    Extremely competent coworkers.
    No politics. Just mission.

Cons

Often barely controlled chaos. Because it's intentionally lean, SpaceX has gotten away without systems integration or control processes by having incredibly talented people. That results in a lot of churn but with those same people focused on interractions managed, they could be much more effective.
    Communication can be hard. It's hard to know who might be working what and can take effort figuring out how to get things done.
    No structured personal growth paths. Leaders tend to be very competent technical people who then have to learn to manage people.

Advice to Management

Train new leaders ideally before they have a team. A young person's first manager can have a huge impact on their career, and navigating the maze of how to get things done effectively can be greatly improved with good coaching.

Showing 1,049 of 1,574 reviews