SpaceX Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
SpaceX CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fast-paced environment provides endless learning opportunities" (in 131 reviews)

• "Working at SpaceX gives you the opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the US" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance is much better now compared to some stories I have heard" (in 236 reviews)

• "There are times I work very long hours including a few times working 60 straight hours" (in 367 reviews)

1. "Great"

Pros

Innovation in rocketry
    Amazing tools and technologies available
    Talented engineers who are very passionate and knowledgeable.
    Fulfilling work knowing what we are accomplishing.

Cons

None that I can think of. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

2. "Good company"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

Truly making a difference in the world.

Cons

None, you get to help a lot of people

"Senior UX Designer"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I wake up early every morning excited to go to work.
    -Insider information for one of the most exciting and dynamic companies of our time.
    -ROCKETS!
    -As a software designer you are given the freedom to conduct your own research, prototyping and delivery of designs as you want. Though if it's out of line with company expectations or standards you will be put in your place immediately. There is ZERO tolerance for projects that are a waist of time and do not drive the mission of the company forward.
    -As a designer you get to shadow amazing users in the company to design tools for them (engineers, technicians working on vehicles, even astronauts!)
    -Great benefits, healthcare and dental on site.
    -Good discounted food options.
    -Company talks and tours for friends and family.
    -Work life balance wasn't bad for me. Software guys can work from home occasionally, and usually do about 50-55 hours a week. I came in early each day before 8 and left at 5pm so I could have dinner with my family and put my daughter to bed. I'd occasionally crack open the laptop at night and watch Netflix with my wife, no biggie! I've worked in much more strict environments. If you're a factory technician / on 40day 40night projects yeah you can work 100 hour weeks occasionally.

Cons

-Pay is median. Stock is nice, though it takes a while to vest.
    -I was laid off with the 10% purge that happened in the beginning of 2019. In order for the company to fund all the R&D for Starlink and Starship Elon had to let go all non-essential personnel (basically many people who don't actually design and build the hardware) so a lot of software and management. I was devastated. I only worked at the company for 7months, and expected to spend at least 5 years there. Many people like me are very dedicated to the cause and would do anything for it to succeed, even if it means being sacrificed so the company doesn't go bankrupt. God Speed SpaceX!

Advice to Management

-Design is important, leverage its ability to iterate quickly to solve the right problems faster.
    -Mass layoffs kill morale.

4. "Great workplace to work hard and learn A LOT"

Current Employee - Avionics Integration Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Avionics Integration Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High energy workforce, great company mission, and ability to wear lots of hats.

Cons

Low compensation after initial stock award, long hours . Don't plan on standing out - everyone works their butts off.

Advice to Management

Prioritize employee training!

"Surrounded by a great team"

Current Employee - NX Programmer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - NX Programmer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many. it really depends on your attitude, your manager, and working environment. Heavily discounted food, friendly people, stock options, free coffee, building Rockets! Not sure about career opportunities because ive only been here a few months. I have seen a couple of promotions of others since ive started. I really like the team im working with here. Most of the folks working here take a lot of pride in what they do and they are very helpful getting you up and running. Im much happier here than at my previous employer.

Cons

Work/Life balance is much better now compared to some stories I have heard. Expect working a fair amount of OT but nothing like years past. Compensation is within range for my age and experience but on the lower end of the scale.

Advice to Management

Now that we are flying people instead of cargo, make sure its right. regardless of schedule. regardless....

"Configuration Management Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

There are no cons for now.

7. "Meaningful work with reactive leadership"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I worked at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is what brought me to work at SpaceX and what kept me working there. I was fortunate to work with great people on some amazing projects and build a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Cons

Long hours leading to burn out.
    Through multiple years of employment I saw a transition of leadership by respect to leadership by fear. If you are unwilling, they will find someone who is.
    Recent 10% workforce reduction that was not based on merit and is bad for team morale

Advice to Management

Be transparent to the man in charge so educated decisions on the path forward can be made, avoiding radical shifts in direction and priority. This drives tension, loss of morale and schedule delays.
    Be transparent to employees what is driving the need work tirelessly through vacations including Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and Day instead of spending well deserved time with their families.

8. "Awesome Company"

Former Employee - Meteorology Technician in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Meteorology Technician in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I worked at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting company to work for. Great experience to work in an environment in which you genuinely believe in the company goals.

Cons

Long hours and lots of overtime are the normal. Of course the pay is great if you are willing to put in the time.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Build rockets and spaceships alongside the smartest people in the industry"

Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very exciting work — it never gets boring
    - As a young engineer you are given a ton of responsibility — more than you would receive at any other company — which is perfect if you’re someone that is eager to learn quickly and make impactful project contributions
    - Subsidized meals

Cons

- Some people in the company don’t hold themselves accountable for their actions they (people that have slipped through the cracks), and with a relatively flat employee-management structure, that can be harmful to project success and also pushes the burden off to the hard-working employees
    - Difficult to maintain a solid work-life harmony

"Engineer"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Going to Mars...eventually....the mission is actually really cool.
    Looks great on resume
    Stock will be valuable someday
    Some great engineers still working

Cons

Overtaken by overwhelming bureaucracy and professional managers in past 2 years. Used to be a meritocracy ruled by brilliant engineers, now resembles old aerospace politics. Not a flat organization anymore. Incompetent middle managers.

Work is uninteresting once you get past the initial appeal. Most remaining work is maintaining existing systems. Seniority rules for the good projects.

Bonuses are a lie. No one is actually getting bonuses except 80hr/wk engineers.

CEO is a brat who is constantly doing stupid stuff online/twitter.

Every week, new policies are added to make the company slower. Meeting creep has significantly increased.

Advice to Management

Try to revert back to flat organization.